lights... over kill, or not enough

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dragit408

minitruckin member
Reaction score
ok i got one light box, it has tin foil lining the inside for some reflectiveness.... i dont know if thats a real word, it has 8 cfl's in it 4 100w and 4 60w, my question is do yall think that is enought light? or to much, i will get a pic of the box if needed, bye the way im growing 4 plants in a 18''x26'' fridge
peace

Get the foil out of there--it sucks for reflectiveness (I don't know if that is a word either, but it sounds like it should be) and can cause hot spots that burn your plants, especially in an area that small.

I don't grow with cfls, so I really don't know, but I do believe that the bulbs are not actually 100w and 60 w, but 100 and 60 w equivalent. what about your ventilation?

ok ill get rid of the tin foil, it seemed like such a good idea. for ventilation i got a 70 cfm ceiling vent fan at the top and a 4 inch port at the bottom of the fridge, and a small fan inside

your box is a fridge? cool...I dont grow cfl either but you will sure to find some here just be patient my friend..and post some photos when you can..if it is a fridge the white walls should be good enough..IMO..and foil is not good..but okay in a pinch..thanks for shareing with us..KEEP M GREEN

sounds like you have 4- 42 watt cfls and 4- 23 watt cfls. is that right? what spectrum? if you don't know the spectrum what brand?

i stink at math so im gonna be wrong on this part but here goes.. your box is under 4 sqf i think. you want as many lumens as you can get in that space. cfls dont penetrate very good. try to get 5000 lumens per square foot.
if your lights are what i think they are

1-42watt= 2700 lumens
1-23watt= 1600 lumens

4-42watts=10800
4-23watts=6400
thats 17200 lumens pretty good for less than 4 sqf

edit: my math is wrong a 42watt cfl is equal to 150w. im not sure on the 100w cfls.. but it makes your over all lumens drop alot now.

pics

growbox small2.jpg

growbox small3.jpg

growboxSMALL 004.jpg

how is it vented?? i would add alot more cfls, may 8 more 42w cfls will make a big differince

theres a peice of pipe i need to put in connected to that fan box at the top, that will vent it out, so u think i need more lights

ya i do.. my flower box is 4sqf and i use 17 42w cfls and could use more. you could just add some as your plants get bigger thats what i did. jmo. how does fresh air come in the box?

theres a 4inch high 20 inch wide hole in the back behind that peice of wood with that shiny crap on it. 4x20 lol im not keeping that wood there i dont think

paint it flat white and drill holes in it and let a fan blow thru.

This is a cool looking setup. Keep us updated. The cfls will be okay for vegging, but I would put a 150W HPS in there for flowering..

Latest posts

Back