Lowering PH in well water?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'M SMOKEY JOE

Ice Cream Man
Reaction score
I thought there were some products out there that will help me bring my ph or acid count back between 6-7 range instead of 7-9. Any suggestions on what I can do? also I'm only using standard blotter test strips and using the color chart provided so I do not know my exact acid count in the well water.

you're going to need to get some ph adjusters. ph up and ph down and you're going to need to get a ph pen(if possible something that reads ppm's as well). In soil you'll want to hit 6.5 ph.

You will also need a TDS meter to test your well water for hardness or get it tested.

You will definitely need to get some pH adjusters. It is so much easier to just buy pre-bottled adjuster than to try to go the totally organic route, and it doesn't matter that much to the organics to use bottled adjusters. I also recommend that you get a pH pen. there are several cheap ones that will last for a while. If you stay with soil/organic growing and do static setups then you won't need to constantly check pH as you will get used to it. But if you decide to go with hydroponic, soilless, and/or synthetic nutrients then you will want to get a nice pen. Just check online at Amazon or Ebay, or eseasongear.com. My favorite pens are the Bluelab pens. You will also need to get calibration fluids when you buy your pens. The pH testers have to be recalibrated periodically and have to be kept in storage solution. The 4.0 calibration solution is good for keeping the pen stored in when not in use.

Thanks guys! I know I have very hard water. How do I correct that besides getting a water softener?

Agree with what has been said already. You need a ph meter, those strips are garbage. Ph up and down can be bought online for cheap.

Like the other members stated, I use PH up/down as needed...after using a calibrated PH meter...always PH water after nutes are added.

Thanks guys! I know I have very hard water. How do I correct that besides getting a water softener?

Unless it's really hard I wouldn't worry too much. Not sure if softener is the way to go or if you would need /want an RO set up.

Be sure to use pH up and down made for plants--not the stuff made for spas and pools.

Well water can be high in dissolved solids. It is a good idea to get your water checked to see what is in it--not just for the plants, but for you, too. Water high in dissolved solids is different than hard water. Dissolved solids generally need to be treated with a treatment system rather than a softener. You can purchase an undercounter RO system or buy bottled water.

Some three part ferts offer their micro in 2 versions, one normal and one for hard water. My town water is 240 ppm tds which could be called hard water but I use the regular micro with no problems. Maybe I am just lucky. I subtract that 240 from my reading on my nutes to get accurate tds reading.

Latest posts

Back