making feminized seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganjadude11

Reaction score
i am fairly new to growing but from what i understand in order to get feminized seeds you need to have the pollen from a hermie plant then you use that pollen to pollenate any female plants that you have to make feminized seed, is this correct or can you only use the hermie pollen to pollenate that same hwrmie plant that you got the pollen from? which one works or would the both give me fem seeds.
thanks

i dont know it could be because people just dont want to deal with it and many people probably dont know how.

hermie plants breed hermie plants. i wouldn't advise trying to make fem seeds. the hermie trait is one you don't want to reproduce. do some reading on the subject and you'll get a better understanding on this subject. jmo

i agree most "old school" true breeders think it contaminates the gene pool
but i have read up on it and if you do the proper work to make sure your genetics are good you will still end up with some hermies
i would guess if you did it on your own without practice and alot of reading alot you'll end up pulling hermies intead of males

Here is a genetics/hermi question....

If you start from seed, and all the plants are treated equal, one hermies,
Is this from the "hermi" gene?

If one plant displays "hermi" while in flower does that then make that plant "hermi" from stress or her/his genes?

I understand that stress can cause hermi's, does that come from the hermi gene?

That was more than one question, I know.

.. IMO.. ANY hermie is genetic flaw. It is a matter of 'how much' stress it requires for them to reveal themselves, that determines how poor/weak the genetics are, or how dominate/co-dominate/or recessive the hermie factor is.

this is a damn good question. I expect alot of opinions.. but I reckon thats all we have to work with without Stoney around;)

i am fairly new to growing but from what i understand in order to get feminized seeds you need to have the pollen from a hermie plant then you use that pollen to pollenate any female plants that you have to make feminized seed, is this correct or can you only use the hermie pollen to pollenate that same hwrmie plant that you got the pollen from? which one works or would the both give me fem seeds.
thanks

gibberellic acid is commonly used to produce male flowers on a female plant which can be used to produce feminized seeds.

Another method Rodelization is described below.

How to produce feminized marijuana seeds

Creating feminized marijuana seeds is an art, there are a few different methods of application. I have written about some of my different methods of making cannabis seeds in previous HIGH TIMES articles. I have use gibberellic acid, light stress, ph stress, and fertilizer stress to force my plants to make marijuana seeds. All these methods are harsh on the plants, and some like the gibbrellic acid, are not organic. In my search for cleaner more earth-friendly ways of working with the cannabis plant, I have found a new way to make feminized cannabis seeds.

Feminized seeds occur as a result of stress, other than genetics. All cannabis plants can and will make male flowers under stress. Certain strains like a higher PH, some like a lower one. Some like a lot of food, some like a lot less. There is quite a lot of variety in marijuana genetics, and you can’t treat every plant the same way.

It takes many harvests before you really get to know a particular strain. Just like getting to know human friends, it takes time. I have grown strains for a decade and am truly getting to know every nuance the different plants exhibit. I can recognize them from a distance. I must say that I get a lot of help from my friends, both in making marijuana seeds and learning new and better ways of working with this sacred plant.

I named this new method “Rodelization” after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female cannabis seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plant in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male “bananas”. A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make marijuana seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built in safety factor so in case of sever conditions, the plant can make sure that the species is furthered.

To me a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female pot seeds.
Many growers out there have male banana phobia.
They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop or at least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emerging devices out. I call them “Emergency Devices” because they emerge at times of stress.

In the Rodelization method, the male banana is very valuable. After growing your female plant 10-14 days longer than usual, hang them up to dry, then carefully take them off the drying lines and inspect for bananas. Each and every banana should be removed and placed in a small bag labeled very accurately. These sealed bags can be placed in the fridge for one to two months and still remain potent.

For the second phase you need to already have a crop that’s already 2 ½ weeks into flowering. Take your sealed bag of pollen out of the fridge, and proceed to impregnate your new crop of females. To do this, you must first match the female plant and the pollen from the same strain in the previous crop. Shut down all the fans in the grow room. Then take a very fine paint brush, dip it in the bag of pollen, and paint it on the female flower. Do this to each different strain you have growing together. I have done it with ten different kinds in the same room with great success.

I use the lower flowers to make weed seeds, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking. This method takes time(two crops), but is completely organic and lets you have great quality smoke at the same time you make your female cannabis seeds. If you’re one of those growers that has never grown marijuana seeds for fear of not having something good to smoke, you will love this method.

You can also use this pollen to make new female crosses by cross pollinating. The older females with the bananas can be brought into the room with the younger, un-pollinated females when they are three weeks into flowering. Turn all of the circulation fans on high, and the little bits of pollen will proceed to make it around the room. Do this for several days. Six to seven weeks later you will have ripe 100% female seeds; not nearly as many as a male plant would make, but enough to start over somewhere else with the same genetics.

As a farmer who has been forced to move his genetics far away from where they started, I know very well the value of seeds. My friend Adam from THSeeds in Amsterdam has a motto that I love to borrow these days: “Drop seeds not bombs”.

Soma

"femming" ....should be left to "breeders" with extensive understanding of genetics and selection. NOT by 'seed makers' with limited resources, selection ability/knowledge or understanding of the risk of promoting hermies... "IMO"

Hick, It is my opine, that while a "breeder" may do it better than I, I would sure like to learn, and know everything there is to know about growing harvesting and in general just the the plant, of pot. Understanding that plants are biological and therefore evolutionary, hence endless in thier variations and differences, so no "End" of knowledge exists now or ever in the future, I would still want to know everythin any one else does, and then know some **** NO one else does, and in the end become more sought after for my knowledge than Cervantes, lol. All *I* really want, is to remove any and EVERY one from my growing needs. The less who know about what *we* do the better. So I think it poor propogation, to stifle/elite-ify the knowledge sought for "femming".

Although, were I a "breeder" for a bank or grower selling these "femmed" seeds, I could understand the desire to NOT want my profitability reduced by other growers / pseudo "breeders" "femming" thier own seeds.

Any way it goes. I love this bar. It's my kinda' place.

And here's to our as yet undeveloped personal strain "T-P". (we still got to figure out how to create our own strain, wish us luck)

houseoftreasure said:
Hick, It is my opine, that while a "breeder" may do it better than I, I would sure like to learn, and know everything there is to know about growing harvesting and in general just the the plant, of pot. Understanding that plants are biological and therefore evolutionary, hence endless in thier variations and differences, so no "End" of knowledge exists now or ever in the future, I would still want to know everythin any one else does, and then know some **** NO one else does, and in the end become more sought after for my knowledge than Cervantes, lol. All *I* really want, is to remove any and EVERY one from my growing needs. The less who know about what *we* do the better. So I think it poor propogation, to stifle/elite-ify the knowledge sought for "femming".

Although, were I a "breeder" for a bank or grower selling these "femmed" seeds, I could understand the desire to NOT want my profitability reduced by other growers / pseudo "breeders" "femming" thier own seeds.

Any way it goes. I love this bar. It's my kinda' place.

And here's to our as yet undeveloped personal strain "T-P". (we still got to figure out how to create our own strain, wish us luck)
stifeling "incorrec" and information that further promotes pollution of the gene pool is in "NOBODIES" best interest.
For decades, if not centuries, "breeders"(the breeeders that have brought us to the ultrapotent strains of today) worked diligently to breed out the hermie genetics. Becuase the know they are detrimental to future generations.
I WILL not back off of my stance against further propegation of hermies.
Anything used in femminising should be tested for stability/trueism. SSomething I have a feeling few of todays "for profit" seedmakers consider.
OR the ametuer seedmaker that has neither the facility nor the ability to grow enough plants for a reasonably decent selection variety to choose from.
Since the popularity of femminised seeds, we have seen a huge increase in hermies populatin in grows here at MP alone. I can't help but feel that it is 'at least' somewhat responsible.
"HERMIES PROCREATE HERMIES" ..

thanks guys that is what i thought i was going to hear, i was just hoping that creating fem seeds would be much easier thanks for the input though

as for easy no
if you were to do it right you have to grow out reg seeds and stress the crap outta them changing the light schedule every week and with temps and such then find a true mother that can handle all this without herming then take clones and use chemiclas like mentioned above to turn one hermie then pollinate other clones with hermie
now ive only skimmed on how todo this so my info isnt the best but i believe it is the basics the rest is time with your plants
after reading my favorite breeders opinions on selfing i believe them when they say it hurts the gene pool to do this so do with caution or try your own breeding find a plant that you love and make regular seeds and get the traits out of it you want
i think its better to pull healthy males than hermies

HOT... I understand what you're saying. I don't want to discourage anyones desire to "learn" or educate themselves. I just feel that ameteurs experimenting with femminising is "risky" at best and should be avoided. Every seed that come out of a half hearted experiment has the potential of creating tens of thousands more in subsequent generations. Tens of thousands of seeds ingrained with hermie gene/genes.
I can't help but feel that some of these process's are a huge step 'backward' in further improvement of the genetic structure.

Thanks to you all, I now have a better understanding of fem seeds. :peace: and good luck in your growings.

By the way Turkey, I miss Stoney too. That is a fountain of info that we all need to listen to.

Through my course of study I have come across information on making fem seeds in a way that involves non toxic or at least less toxic materials. It works very very well and I am yet to get a hermy from the seeds I made for my own personal use. The only thing I have against the process is I have seen numerous people develop a strain that they want to keep as is but the only seeds they have is female so they are stuck. The genetics will only get watered down from there unless they mix it with a male of a different strain but then they are back to square one. With that said here is the technique.

The technique I use involves colloidal silver. Its sold at health food stores as a cure all basically. the stuff that is sold is too low of a potency to work properly. First I'll describe how to make it and then how to use it.

Colloidal silver is made by electrolysis by passing a current through two silver electrodes suspended in distilled water.

The way I do this is I use a 12 volt 1.5 amp (1500 ma) ac to dc adapter. The average household probably has a box of these things laying around. Other reports show that 9 volt 600 ma ones will also work. Anyways you cut the end of this off and pull the 2 wires apart by about a foot. Strip about 1/4 inch of the coating off and solder an alligator clip to each piece of wire and then heat heatshrink over the exposed soldered wires.

At each end of the alligator clips you will need to clip on either a piece of fine silver wire (can be found online) or an old silver coin that has been cleaned of tarnish (can be found at hobby shops and such around town). Try to stay away from sterling silver, it is less pure.

In an open air enviroment, submerge the silver on both ends of the adapter into a glass quart jar of distilled water. Make sure only the silver is touching the water. If the clips or any other type of metal is touching the water during the process it will produce rust amongst other nasty stuff.

Now plug it in and let it sit for 12 hours (making sure to check on it regularly so you dont burn down the house or something.) I put plastic wrap over it to protect it from stuff floating in the air. After 12 hours you should have a jar full of a brownish/amber colored liquid with possibly some white/metalic gunk which is just some corrosion. You can filter this out through a tee shirt if you'd like but I never do.

This brown liquid is colloidal silver. As is it is safe for you to drink just like the health food store colloidal silver. But I wouldn't recommend it, since it is a bit stronger than the health food stuff and too much of it ingested could turn your skin blue after a lot of use hxxp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa2OpNTX9Ck

Anyways back on topic. Take this brown liquid and pour it inside a spray bottle (1 dollar at walmart.) Now you are ready to make femanised seeds.. well kinda. You need a female plant and right after it shows its sex you can give whole or part of it a good misting of colloidal silver 2-3 times a day for 1 week. Some people will do this all the way until it starts pollinating but Ive never done it for more than a week. If you do the entire plant the entire thing will start growing pollen sacks soon after and you can use this pollen to pollinate other female plants to produce femanised seeds. If you do only one branch of the plant then you could turn around and use the pollen from the plant on the rest of it.

I have done this quite a few times and am yet to end up with femanised seeds that hermie on their own and I have even done this a couple times from breeder femanized seeds that I wanted more of. If the plant already has the hermie genes in it though it would most likely show up at one point or another though.

With all that said if you want to skip the hole soldering alligator clips onto wire you could always wrap the wire around the silver as long as you make sure not to expose any of the water to non silver material.

I hope this helps you all with your adventures in breeding. Be safe.

I'll update this later on with pictures of my finished colloidal silver generator once I can find where I put the damn thing when I moved weeks ago.

ganjadude11 said:
thanks

Ganjadude, I have just been through this whole process so I can give you a definitive answer.
pollen from a hermie plant then you use that pollen to pollenate any female plants that you have to make feminized seed, is this correct
- YES, absolutely correct. The pollen needs to be from a MALE hermie, i.e. one that starts male and then bears female flowers. The seed produced will be all, or almost all, female. I got one male out of about 12 seeds. The rest were all female. And this happened with both the F1 and F2 generations (same pollen used)
If you allow the hermie male to pollinate its own colas (well, it's pretty much impossible to stop it doing that, the plant will be covered in pollen sacs) you get more seed that will breed true: producing more hermie males! You don't get hermie males magically producing male and female sexes.

Hope this is clear!

Oh, BTW, I am going to wait until my current grows finish before commenting on whether these femmed plants go hermie. I will wait and see. I have grown 5 F1's and none of them hermed, they gave me some great smoke. So far so good.

Heres a couple pics of a female I reversed using STS. The thing about using STS or CS is it totally blocks ethylene production which the plant needs to produce female flowers. After it's treated female flowers will not grow on the plant anymore. The reversed fem looks different from any hermie i've ever seen because it only has male parts...it's like it's a male. I'll let everyone know in a couple months how "hard" it is to make fems. I got my method and advice from very very reputable breeders and so far it's working just like they said it would:).

bad 13585.jpg2.jpg

bad 13586.jpg

Latest posts

Back