marijuana program...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Draston

Reaction score
I don't think this has been done before but I thought about writing a program this summer that dealed with all the mathematical parts of growing Mary Jane. I figured it could do a lot of stuff like explain to you and show people what nute burn is and what its caused by as well as other harmful things to the plant. Show cycles of life with different strains of weed and also do things like tell you how many lumen's you need given a determined area of room for grow. It could also tell you how much your 1000watt sodium bulb is going to cost you per month... The list could go on and on and I could actually tailor the program for this forum. Basically a catch all program for how to do a lot of stuff with mary jane etc.

Do you all think that is a good idea that something like this is not needed for Mary Jane and that having a forum to read is a lot better? Just wondering.

Now this is all saying that I have enough time and ambition to do this while getting stoned and working 40 hours a week.

Draston man, i think that sounds great.. Ive watched a lot of stuff on the net and havent found anything nearly as inclusive as your talking about, most vids/docs/progrms are

A) Too short, too quick, too rushed,

B) not covering enough on important subjects, they just kind of let you know what could go wrong but dont tell you how to avoid it..

C) Cater for there growspace / there grow medium which makes it hard to relate to if you dont do the same

D) Alot of vids actually convey slightly false information

Id love to see something decent, something that covers the side of growing that isnt clear to a lot of people after watching internet vids.. good luck. and if you need a hand, you know who to PM lol

What format of "program" are you talking about? Video, software database, text? What format would the user be watching/reading?

it would be an .exe program written in Visual Basic. I'm pretty good at writing it. I took a few classes here at college and got A's in them all. Aside from that there is still a few things that I need to learn to make this program updateable so I don't have to change source code to effectively update it just core files and whatnot.

best case senerio I could get a ton of information from users on this site about their strains and how much water they gave them each time they watered and what type of soil they used ect and if I got enough of that information I could take a few inputs from a user like how long you want to grow, what strain you are growing, if you want to use nutes or not and what kind of nutes and I could give you a ballpark figure on how big a plant you are going to be dealing with and if it will be ok for your growspace and if you'll have enough light to maximize yeild.

I could put the forum logo on it or something and we could give it to noobs as a catch all to answer all of the most mundane questions that I know everyone hates. We could also do some how to's in the program to show people how to make reflectors and hydro systems on the cheap and expensive. I mean this would be a seriously in depth program with a lot of information in it and I wouldn't skip out on a lot of stuff just to get it done. I'd make it pretty nice (or as nice as I can).

Well i can tell you all about Cali Orange Bud.. unfortunately i aint had the chance / time to grow anything else.. although its a real nice strain i know its a cheaper not a top hitter although it packed a mighty punch lol..

I think it sounds sweet draston, i think it would be a major boost for the community especially if the program was either intergrated into this forum or available for download.. either way, awesome idea. Need any help with the graphical side of things? im always here to help :)

first before I start to get help on it I want to know if there is a community use for this and if people are really interested, so I know before hand if its going to be worth the time invested (50 + hours or MORE!).

Thats awesome TheDrowner! That was one thing I was going to basically do. Put a lot of the big good grow stickies on this site (they all are very helpful)

Sounds like a wonderful idea, remembering that there are a lot of noobs, (just as we all were once), that are trying their first grows etc. etc. maybe you could do some time lapse film demonstrating pinching, sexing, Hey maybe even show what mold, spidermites and other nasties look like to the viewer.
I would have sold body parts to have something like that when I got started, cause I was a nervous wreck with all the trial and error I went through. Can't even describe the let down when you are on the verge of a good flowering and boom, some disaster hits. So yeah, great idea dude.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

KingKahuuna said:
Hey maybe even show what mold, spidermites and other nasties look like to the viewer

Lol.. i hope you got some spare plants you dont care about draston :rolleyes:

I think you guys are talking about like a tutorial. He is talking about compiling enough information that you can put in a strain name and it will tell you how often to water, how well it does with different kinds of soil and ferts, how tall its going to get, how much your yield will be with different kinds of lights, etc. Atleast thats the way he explained it to me. Which in theory sounds wonderful, but it you would have to dedicate some serious time into getting information when you factor in all of those variables.

The sticky icky hit it on the head! I thought about putting how to's and other stuff in the program as well.

Yeah, I understand a compilation was the idea, but I got excited and started mentioning the idea of a tutorial as well. Both put together and done well would really be something great for everyone.
You know I got to thinking why not offer some help such as each of us picking out a particular strain, and gathering as much of the info on that particular one then put the info here so he can grab it fairly quick and easy.
What do you think ?
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

KingKahuuna said:
Yeah, I understand a compilation was the idea, but I got excited and started mentioning the idea of a tutorial as well. Both put together and done well would really be something great for everyone.
You know I got to thinking why not offer some help such as each of us picking out a particular strain, and gathering as much of the info on that particular one then put the info here so he can grab it fairly quick and easy.
What do you think ?
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

That's a great idea! First though we need to figure out the core componets of the program. The pre design, if you will...

We need to figure out what we need as a functionality of this program. We need to get specific into what features you want to be included into the program (look at strains and see what they look like while they grow up?) and wonder how far we want to go with that info (the ability to print the information found). We also need to figure out how the program will work and how it will be designed and layed out ( do you want a program with a file, edit, view, type menu at the top or just buttons on the screen and information). Theres a lot of information and work that has to be done before we even start to gather data on the different strains.

Wow... From an entrepreneurial stand point, this is an extremely feasible and great idea. Very little money to get the ball rolling. All you need is some dedication and lots of time. I would hop on that right away patten it, and then give rights to a select few... Like MP. :aok:

Latest posts

Back