Misting your plants with nutes

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shadoed

peeking out
Reaction score
Does anyone spray nutriated water directly on the leaves/shoots/stems or is this a bad idea? And what exactly is the benefit to spraying directly? I've been spraying mine when the lights go out (they are on 12/12 now) but I'm not sure if I've seen any benifit.

a cple general "rule of thumb"..never mist with lights on
never mist in flower.

Personally, I never mist.."unless" there is a problem with nutrient uptake in the rootzone. Though they will absorb and use nutes/water through the leaves, they are more efficient at what they were designed for.."photosynthesis", while the roots are for nutrient uptake. Misting with nutes will leave a residue on the leaves that can inhibit the photosynthesis IMHO

i found this great article/articles on foliar here the quoted article from maximum yield.com

"
Foliar feeding seems to be one of the easiest ways of increasing yield, growth speed, and quality in a well vented space, with or without elevated CO2 levels. Just prepare a tea of worm castings, fish emulsion, bat guano, or most any other plant food right for the job and feed in vegetative and early flowering stages. It is not recommended for late flowering, or you will be eating the sprayed-on material later. Stop foliar feeding 2-3 weeks before harvesting and make sure to wash off the leaves with straight water every week to prevent clogging the stomata. Feed daily or every other day.

Best times of the day to Foliar feed are between 7:00am and 10:00am, or after 5:00 in the evening.

This is because the stomata on the underside of the leaves are open then. Also, the best temperature is about 72 degrees, and at over 80, the stomata may not be open at all. So find the cooler part of the day if it’s hot, and the warmer part of the day if it’s cold out.

You may need to spray at 2:00am if that’s the coolest time available. The sprayer used should atomize the solution to a very fine mist; find your best sprayer and use it for this. Make sure the pH is between 7 and 6.2. Use baking soda to make the solution higher PH, and vinegar to make the solution lower PH. It’s better to spray more often and use less, than to drench the plants infrequently. Use a wetting agent to prevent the water from beading up, and thereby burning the leaves as they act as small prisms, essentially refracting the light. Make sure you don’t spray a hot bulb; better yet, spray only when the bulb has cooled.

Perhaps the best foliar feeding includes using seltzer water and plant food at the same time. This way, CO2 and nutrients are feed directly to the leaves in the same spray.

Foliar feeding is recognized in most literature as a good way to get nutrients to the plant later when nutrient lockup problems could start to reduce intake from the roots.

WARNING: It is important to wash leaves that are harvested before they are dried, if you intend to eat them, since they may have nitrate salts on them."

remember to have those nutes watered down very well too.. or those leaves are gonna burn rite off.

Latest posts

Back