mj and anxiety an depression

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blowinthatloud

Reaction score
I have bipolar disorder an suffer from severe mood swings fron high anxiety to very low depression. Smoking helps me in both situations, my dr gets mad an tells me to stop but it helps me to stay calm. I have had this an smoked for along time so i know for sure it helps me i have done tests on periods of non smoking an recording my mood. Anybody else care to share. ty for reading.BTL

A dr cant tell you if it helps or not... just like they cannot tell you if you are in pain.... if it works for you stick with it man... :48:

I have more letters after my name than an AKC champion (AADD, OCD, Bi-P, etc) and I have never known pot to make much difference. I find that avoiding stressful situations does more to control my mood. Try avoiding work, family, people and (mostly) women and try to stick with dope, drinking and partying. Works for me. I still have the highs and lows but I don't care as much. LOL

On a tiny more serious note, I have suffered with the highs and lows all my life and I feel sorry for people who do not have bi-polar disorder. IMO, it's sad that those people will never experience the highs that I have lived and felt and breathed. Normies are boring and live boring lives in tiny boxes. Be thankful you were blessed with this ability and embrace it.

Years ago, they tried to get me on all the dope like Lithium and Prozac and, then later Zoloft and all the others. I am so glad I had the strength to JUST SAY NO TO DRUGS.

Now, the lows are pretty tough but it comes with the highs and you need to embrace them as well. I find meditation helps me a lot on bad days. If you have a local haunt that has Yoga classes, I find that mellows the graph.

But...pot? Well, I have never found that to make much difference. If it works for you, go for it. If your doctor doesn't like hearing it, stop telling him. LOL

Live for today.

It helps me keep cool in stressful situations, an if im depressed it will help me forgot about the bullshit for awhile. I cant go without meds im bat guano crazy with out them, an have been non to violence without them, have a family now si i try to keep inline an maintain for them

Yeah, the violence aspect is a tough part. I manage to maintain but I know every second that I'm a ticking time bomb. I look at it like my good friend Captain James T Kirk said in the episode , "A Taste of Armageddon", "I will not kill....... today." LMAO

I had major problems with it until I realized it's a gift, not a curse. After that, management became incredibly better. Most of the shrinks said it was amazing that I was able to manage it without meds as severe as it was (little did they know. LOL).

Today, my life is very stress free and it's not like it was when I owned a company with 50 screaming, greedy, stealing, lying employees. It was tougher, then. LOL

Hang in there. Do what works best for you and think happy thoughts. No sh¡t, it works. I often close my eyes and think of my garden. Works for me and like I said, whatever works.

Good luck, bud.

You may benefit from a Tincture, you can be at work or anywhere and simply use a dropper full and it will provide a calming effect, not a high like smoking but more like stress relief.
Also try edibles.

First of all thanks for posting and welcome again to MP.

Jaam is right, your doctor has no way of knowing anything about medical uses of marijuana. If it helps you please use it. If it lightens the depression please use it. If it evens out the mania, please use it. We now know just a drop in the bucket of what this plant can do. If it helps with MS, which causes lesions on the brain, it helps with seizures, another brain thing, so seems to me it would help with bi-polar... One doctor told me once that it produces homeostasis. A balance.

You are brave to bring up the subject, that is very cool. I am glad you are trying your best for your family. Good luck and good health.

Doctors like this really irritate me. They tell you to quit a very innocuous herb that helps you tremendously and has no side effects and want to put you on expensive pharmaceuticals with horrible side effects that probably don't work as well.

Is it possible for you to find a doctor more sympathetic to YOUR problems and YOUR remedies? Your present doctor acting this way is actually contributing MORE to your stress and discomfort instead of helping you. Hang in there and do what is best for YOU and your family.

Ty everybody! its not an easy subject to talk about, i dont tell people cause i say bipolar an they automaticlly stereotype me retarded or psycho. Guess thats why it was easier to bring up since this is a private group.

ahhh... reminds me of my experience with a doc, like 3 years back, I thought I had some issues, took an appointment, well she began asking me questions, about my reactions to different situations, if i had suicidal tendency and so forth, most if not all of the answers were negative, finally she said: Zoloft. Now that was the first time I had heard the name, so I began asking her about it, she said that it had no ill side effects, that it would make me happy and active, ambitious, etc... like it was a wonder drug, wrote me a prescription, I said i will read about it before i buy it, and so I did. Zoloft is a very strong drug, that has so many side effects, one of which is suicidal and homicidal tendencies! I thought WOW, how could she, in a case like mine, prescribe for me such a drug, that harms me more than it helps me! I concluded that she really doesn't care, but to put you on the drug, and keep you coming back to her on a regular basis, filling up her pockets, draining mine, as my insurance doesn't cover psychiatry, and she charges 100$ per session of listening to me, then writing on a paper: Zoloft... Zoloft was linked to many cases of school shootings and actual suicide cases. I am so happy that i have not used it and i am regret paying those 100$ to that Dr, as it would have benefited me much more on a psychological level, to have used the money for some fun...

Tincture is marijuana infused in glycerin vegetable oil or pure grain alcohol, it comes in an eyedropper bottle and you use a dropper full under your tongue and it has a very very calming effect.

The doctors prescribe that crap for anyone and everyone. It seems that their primary goal is to get as many people addicted to ant-depressants as possible. LOL

They get rebates from the drug companies for every script that is filled. Last year, my doctor buddy got a free trip to Greece, all expenses paid from his prescription rebates.

They need to addict as many people as they can. It's how they make their money.

Shrinks suck. Friggin drug pushers, is all.

And, yes Zem, most of those anti-depressant drugs have incredible side effects. Ever notice how all the people you know who are on those anti-depressants are always still depressed? LOL They really don't work and they just make you fat and stupid.

I would much rather face the horror of bi-polar disorder than the addiction to anti-depressants.

It's sad that the shrinks do this just for money. Doesn't matter to them who's life they ruin.

Reactions: zem
This is kind of off the subject at hand, but I once asked my doctor how much education she had in nutrition. She said ONE HOUR. in all her med school career... wow.

It isn't just the shrinks--it is the MDs too. I cannot believe how many people I know that get hooked on pain killers because of over-prescribing and under-supervision. The new laws make it so that you have to go to the office on a regular basis to get prescriptions refilled, but way too many docs do not even pay any attention to their patients and their level of addiction. I think they just want the continuing business and have little real concern over how their patient is faring.

I also think they way over-prescribe for things like ADHD. I think rather than looking deeper for reasons for ADHD type behavior, they just assume people are bi-polar, have ADHD, etc and prescribe those dangerous pharmaceuticals, rather than trying to treat the cause of underlying problems. I am amazed at how many people I know that when they get off all the crap the docs prescribe and get their lives back in order how little prescription drugs they actually need.

I question everything my doc prescribes and never ever take anyth9ing without reading the drug warnings. Docs that lie about side effects are despicable and I can say that that would be it for me with that doctor. You have to be able to trust your medical practitioner.

I agree, the MD's are just as bad. I don't take a single pill (yet). LOL I had real real high blood pressure years ago but, instead of the meds, I lost weight, quit smoking and started working out every day. Blood pressure went down almost immediately.

I addressed this fact with my doc (who insisted the meds were the only way) that if I had taken the meds, I would still be fat, smoking and not working out. He just looked down at the ground. LOL

Just say no to prescription meds. LOL

Well, I have to take blood pressure medicine, regardless. Sometimes you are just genetically inclined and nothing I do on my own has alleviated the need for them. Glad that all those lifestyle improvements have done the trick. The bonus is that you most likely also feel better all the way around. Everytime I haul a 40 lb bag of dogfood in from the Jeep, I think that this is basically how it is when you weight that much more than you should. Quitting smoking just makes it easier to breathe, food tastes better, and you can do more things because of better lung function. Losing weight also makes you feel better, your joints do not take such a beating, and activities are just easier when you are not hauling around an extra 40 or so pounds.

Workin out has helped me also, i went on vaca to see some friends i havent seen since highschool. I got back an looked at the pics an realized i was fat!i lost 50lbs! Its alot about what you eat an drink, a friend whos into bein fit helped me with eating right an i started lifting weights 42 an in better shape then i have been..i rely on 1 med mainly Depakote. An its really bad for you, but without im a psycho who cant control myself. My anger is insane due to childhood abuse i think from an abusive alcohol feuled father an neglectful mother. I cant believe im sayin all this ****!! Any way weed helps me an im gonna grow an smoke forever far as i know!

I was scared to death of Depakote when we had to put our son on it for seizures. THat was over 30 years ago and I am happy to say he has had no side effects which i was worried about. He doesn't like it either, but he takes it, thank goodness. Sounds to me like you are a survivor of a lot of really bad stuff that no child should ever have to go through. Congrats on losing 50 lbs. That is great. Good for you.

Hows everybody doin? Im doing good considering the holidays are always kinda stressful. Im glad to be back into growing its quite calming to just chill in the garden an it helps keep my mind busy so im not thinking to much! Hope all is well with all of MP an my new group of friends!

Latest posts

Back