molasses

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotsman

Reaction score
Just got my meridian black strap mollases delivered so going to try it tomorrow ive read some good things about it anyone tried it good or bad results? wasnt a happy chappy 2 jars at £2.19 each but cost me £9.63:eek: hope its worth it lol sure it is from what ive read.

thanks sunshine from what ive read its pretty good stuff, just hard to get hold of it the UK local health shops dont have unsulphered, so had to get it of the internet good old internet :)

I have some I experiemnted in hydro with but it will be used now for my soil grow.
Check out "Rayners Essentials Cane Molasses". I got mine from a place called Vit-Shop through Amazon. It was about £9 inc del for 3180g.
Peace W

just checked that out and ouch! i checked amazon to! will be using that from now on thankyou for the heads up appreciated, from what ive read molas is not to good for hydro better for soil, i have 6 plants into 12/12 for the last 6 days 3 showing sex 3 females, not sure about the rest just yet but think they could be males, read some really good stuff about it so looking forward to seeing how things turn out :)

we dont really have feed stores in the uk orangesunshine not that im aware of any how, il do a search cheers for the advice mate :)

There are feed stores around, normally in heavy agricultural areas where you can get feed for horses etc but the molasses they tend to stock here is the granular stuff.

Molasses does very little for your plants unless you are growing organic.

I was under the distinct impression molasses does absolutely NOTHING for plants!!!!

It is for the bacteria, microbes etc that live in the root zone and as such, as long as there is soil and roots, the microbes will be present, feed them and they look after your roots........ But dont take my word for it, have a read at this http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5149

Peace W

woodydude said:
I was under the distinct impression molasses does absolutely NOTHING for plants!!!!

It is for the bacteria, microbes etc that live in the root zone and as such, as long as there is soil and roots, the microbes will be present, feed them and they look after your roots........ But dont take my word for it, have a read at this http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5149

Peace W

Not actually completely true, Woody...if you're using chem based nutes, you killed all the microbes and the molasses isn't doing a whole lot. BBFan is on track with the comment, imho

I dont grow in soil which is why I suggested reading the article and respect both of you guys knowledge. The last thing I want to do is come off as being argumentative and agressive but the biggest irritation I have found since I started growing is the way opinions get distorted into facts. I am not saying you are wrong, I would always rather have things verified by other sources.

I had never heard that chemical based nutrients kill the soil based bacteria/microbes etc? However as I stated, I use hydro.
I was aware that things such as ph up & down can kill them but not the nutrients themselves.
I find it odd that beneficials are sold by most nutrient companies and must assume that if they are applied in soil, then the soil is fed with nutrients these then kill the bacteria just introduced? Very odd!
I would love to hear from others on this subject.
If this post is a little strange, my apologies, I have been wearing an internal crash helmet and have had marshmallow feet for several hours now thanks to the half q of Blue Chees I have devoured in the last couple of hours.
Peace W

I wouldn't see you as argumentative or aggressive at all, I hope no one ever finds me this either! :) Contrary, a friendly and informative discussion is always welcomed on my end!

I've posted this info several times in many threads and not sure if you've seen it or not, but here's what I'm basing my comment on:

you've read the above information than you understand the importance of a "living" substrate. A diverse and rich bacterial and fungal balanced medium contains enough beneficial organisms to out compete pathogens and disease causing bacteria and creates accessible stored nutrient content. Chemical fertilizers kill off much of the microbial life and allow for limited forms of absorption and resistance to disease.

This is from this study stickied here: http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50463 If you read the full opening statement, he talks of the importance of microbial life, then if you scroll down to the Fox Farm study, you'll find the statement I posted above.

I can only base my opinions on what limited knowledge I have, and I admit openly that this is the only study I've read...but I think having it stickied gives it a deal of credibility!

I don't know for sure whether chemical based nutes kill the bacteria and fungi in the soil or not. I've heard different opinions, but minimal scientific studies to back them up.

But I do know that unsulphered black strap molasses contains potassium, phosphorous, calcium, magnesium, iron, and a few micronutrients- all of which are beneficial to the plant directly.

The carbs provide food for these beneficials, but the fungi in the rhizosphere feed off carbs from the plant and return the favor by chelating the nutrients in the soil to make them more accessible to the plants.

I am sticking with hydro, this soil talk is making my head hurt!!!!! LOL
I had no idea non organic fertilisers killed off the little fella's. Makes you understand why just about every nutrient co has their own offering of "friendly bacteria", because their nutes kill them as soon as they are added??? Crazy imo.
I think it comes back to the decision has to be, growing in soil, go organic!!!
I am looking at BioBizz nutrients for hydro as they are meant to be organic, I don't know if that is just marketing lies but the thought of being organic appeals to this old hippy.
Peace & much love guys. W

Well, there are options in this! Since we know (or this is some of our beliefs, at least) that this happens, we can skip the expensive soil mixes and grow in stuff like coco coir, which has none of the good stuff to kill anyway. Since you're adding everything the plant needs, this saves money and you know pretty much what you're feeding and what they need. This is MHO...

Me, I am trying to go organic, we're having fun with this LMAO

Latest posts

Back