MOLD in house....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Super Skunk

Reaction score
I have a problem with mold. It is not on my plants or anything like that. My hot water heater seems to have had a small leak and this leak went unnoticed until yesterday. I have replaced the heater but I just found mold on my youngest sons window frame, and of course where the water heater was leaking. I do not want this stuff to spread by anymeans, and was wondering if bleach would kill it or not? And should I wipe down the entire house? What can I do to get rid of this stuff? Any suggestions?

Super Skunk said:
I have a problem with mold. It is not on my plants or anything like that. My hot water heater seems to have had a small leak and this leak went unnoticed until yesterday. I have replaced the heater but I just found mold on my youngest sons window frame, and of course where the water heater was leaking. I do not want this stuff to spread by anymeans, and was wondering if bleach would kill it or not? And should I wipe down the entire house? What can I do to get rid of this stuff? Any suggestions?

Sounds like u need to tar out the sheet rock and clean behind the walls and put new sheetrock up.

Nomatter what u do on the ouside there still mold on the inside..

Repair Repair job.

Ohhh Grrrrreat! Guess I better fire one up and get with it. So this stuff gets in the inside of the wall too... I Guess since the wall where the hot water heater is is where it needs to go. This thing could not have been leaking for more than a couple of days at most. So do you think I can get by with removing the one wall that got wet? Or the whole house?

mold usually likes to grow in the paper on the sheetrock.

on the inside. the only certain way to remove it...is to REMOVE all of the contaminated areas.

i dont think your house is covered in mold from a water heater leaking for 2-3 days???

the mold in your sons room may have already been their, does it look fresh
was it their b4??

Like dman1234 said that might of been there a while and might have to clean that area well and might have to redo the
WHOLE window seal inside and out.:confused:

Sounds like you have a job a head of yea.! :confused:

Like to remodel Boxes anyway..;)

By the way smelling that black mold CAN and WILL cause breathing problem if untreated and breathing over time....:eek:

call a building inspector and have them take a look. you may have to get a contractor to remove drywall, etc.

put a fan on it to completely dry the area to prevent growth after you wipe it down with a bleach/water solution wear gloves and a mask. thats how I handle mold.

Bleach will kill it. I would check the house over though. Might need to go under your home and check as well.
Depends on the color of mold also. Careful with that black mold. White mold you really dont need to be to concerned about.

greenfriend said:
call a building inspector and have them take a look. you may have to get a contractor to remove drywall, etc.

By calling Building Inspector your openning up a can of worms there my friend.. I don't think your here on this site for looking at some wierd looking plant.;)

My friend did that on a rental he lived in and HAD to move.

As for bleach it helps on the Outside but the real problem will be in the inside of the wall as it Grows so your best bet is to start where the hot water heater is and work your way from there tare out and replace sheet rock.

Do the job yourself or have a friend help that knows what there doing and it be alot Cheaper on your pocket. ! Enless your a Renter then your screwed because your landlord will higher someone to do the work, enlless you know what your doing.

2Dog said:
put a fan on it to completely dry the area to prevent growth after you wipe it down with a bleach/water solution wear gloves and a mask. thats how I handle mold.

You fix the outside!
How you fix the inside.??

Hey Super!

After reading this thread I jumped online for a bit and came across what, for me anyway, was a totally new approach to mold in the walls/floors, etc. I live near a large U.S. city that begins with "S" and ends with "eattle," so we are quite familiar with this nuisance. Anyway, these guys are apparently successfully killing mold by blasting the affected rooms with huge amounts of ozone from generators designed for this purpose. This would seem to be far less invasive than the tried and true "tear your house apart" method, yes?

I didn't read everything on their website, but it's not too difficult to produce large quantities of DIY ozone, or maybe the equipment is rentable?? I'm not sure. Either way would keep snooping noses away from your place; Flyinghigh's right, calling in an inspector is beggin' for trouble on several levels. In my state, if an inspector discovers black mold he/she is required by law to report it to the Health Dept., and then things go sideways fast.

So, here's the link. www.mold-kill.com Check it out!

Love Peeps!

~Snax (He Who Lurks)

snaxforgandhi said:

So, here's the link. www.mold-kill.com Check it out!

Love Peeps!

~Snax (He Who Lurks)

Man those are expensive !!! But would be good before any mold started if it a bullet proof system.
Maybe he just has a little that won't cause him much in a repair..

Hay Super Skunk got any pix of what your talking about that would help..

I used some bleach water and wiped down all the walls in the house, as for the window in my sons room as well as the tile where the heater was leaking no mold has grown back. I have a de humidifier and it has been running. The sheet rock did not get too wet it is not distorted. I am gonna let it ride for now, unless it shows back up. Then I will do something? My wife wants to remodel anyway that would be a good excuse to get started on that project. The house is a pier and beam and there is no sign of any mold underneath the house, or any water damage. I hope the bleach does it. As far as an inspector coming into the house I don't think that will happen... I like many on this site have the prettiest house plants.
I thank everyone for the input on this matter I did not know that mold can be killed by using ozone. I wonder what one of those Ionc breeze things would do. I have seen them on televesion for $19.99, bet I can buy one at the local walgreens drug store. I think I am gonna buy one for the grow room, since that is my biggest concern in there.
Thanks.

Latest posts

Back