Monkey bites

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lisa

Reaction score
Is there any possibilities of carrying any serious disease with a monkey bite?

It's possible. I would go get it checked just in case. ;)

Its time for you to visit a Doctor Lisa.

I found this on a medical site.

More than 70 percent of monkeys are latently infected with the herpes B virus. The preferred name of the virus currently is Cercopithecine herpesvirus 1. In the infected macaques, which include the laboratory rhesus monkey, this virus behaves much like oral herpes, causing recurrent oral blisters and ulcers. This virus can be passed to humans by bites as well as by exposure of the monkey's body fluids to a human's eye or mouth. When the monkeys are in a stressful situation, as would occur in a lab or in transport to the United States, the monkey's shedding of virus increases, making it more likely that a human will be infected.

There have been more than 40 reported cases in humans, usually the result of laboratory accidents. Most cases described in humans have been fatal. The incubation period (the time from infection to disease) is usually from two to five weeks. The first signs of the disease are nonspecific, including general ill feeling, fever, generalized pain and headache. Soon thereafter, neurologic signs develop, with seizures, paralysis, coma and then death.

Prevention of the disease is extremely important. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control recommends strict guidelines for the laboratory handling of macaques, including bite-resistant clothing and goggles. If a bite occurs, vigorous cleaning of the wound is recommended. The eye, if exposed, should be flushed with water for at least 15 minutes.

Studies in animals and humans suggests that acyclovir (trade name Zovirax), a drug used for herpes infections, is helpful. It should probably be given immediately if the injury is high risk -- for example, if the monkey had visible lesions, or if the wound is particularly severe. In other cases, many experts would start therapy only if cultures of the wound and/or the monkey were positive. If any early symptoms develop, acyclovir should definitely be given. There are many case reports of the disease being halted in such circumstances.

What should you do? Well, first, I have no idea what kind of monkey bit you, or how deep your wound was. At this writing, you are probably closer to five weeks out from the injury, making the likelihood of you becoming ill quite small. One approach would be to relax, but be wary of any early signs such as fever or body aches. If you have these signs, they would probably not be related to the monkey bite, but you never know. I would see a physician immediately with these symptoms, reminding him or her of your monkey bite.

We dont do just MJ on this site :)

HippyInEngland said:
Its time for you to visit a Doctor Lisa.

I found this on a medical site.

We dont do just MJ on this site :)

Thanks for your nice effort. Fortunately it did not bite me but one of my friend encountered such.

If you are in the US or other developed country where the monkey is captive bred and raised then there is a very low chance of getting anything from it. Monkeys aren't born with virus, but they are susceptible to most of the same viruses we are susceptible to. If they have not been exposed to a disease, say rabies, then they can't have it. The only exception are macaque monkeys. They can be carriers of Herpes B, but my understanding is that transmission from of herpes B from macaques is difficult, as usually the animal must be under high mounts of stress, such as in invasive research, in order to shed the virus. If you were bit , and it is a bad bite. I do suggest a tetanus shot, as tetanus can be gotten not from the actual bite but from the wound's possible exposure to dirt after the bite. Also an antibiotic to keep the wound from getting infected. It should take about 2-3 weeks to completely heal if it is a bad bite. If it was a wild monkey people are usually also given rabies post exposure shots. Although, the chances of it actually having rabies are slim to none.

The post above says that 70% of monkeys carry herpes B. This is incorrect in that they have left out it is Macaque monkeys. There is screening to check for herpes B in the animals. I know many owners of pet macaque who don't have an issue with disease transmission. IN captive bred populations disease transmission is not common if at all, at least here in the US. I would assume in Europe as well.

eileen said:
If you are in the US or other developed country where the monkey is captive bred and raised then there is a very low chance of getting anything from it. Monkeys aren't born with virus, but they are susceptible to most of the same viruses we are susceptible to. If they have not been exposed to a disease, say rabies, then they can't have it. The only exception are macaque monkeys. They can be carriers of Herpes B, but my understanding is that transmission from of herpes B from macaques is difficult, as usually the animal must be under high mounts of stress, such as in invasive research, in order to shed the virus. If you were bit , and it is a bad bite. I do suggest a tetanus shot, as tetanus can be gotten not from the actual bite but from the wound's possible exposure to dirt after the bite. Also an antibiotic to keep the wound from getting infected. It should take about 2-3 weeks to completely heal if it is a bad bite. If it was a wild monkey people are usually also given rabies post exposure shots. Although, the chances of it actually having rabies are slim to none.

The post above says that 70% of monkeys carry herpes B. This is incorrect in that they have left out it is Macaque monkeys. There is screening to check for herpes B in the animals. I know many owners of pet macaque who don't have an issue with disease transmission. IN captive bred populations disease transmission is not common if at all, at least here in the US. I would assume in Europe as well.

Thank you so much.

Latest posts

Back