My Cats are Eating My Tomatoe Plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChatNoir

Reaction score
Yes, they love olives, broad beans and such... They are eating my tomatoes plant! One of them eaten half of the plant today! How can I stop them?

I know it is a shame but as a veterinary doctor candidate, I do not know how myself as well... Cats normally do not eat plants unless they are poisoned or in need of medication, but my boys are perfectly healthy, they just love the taste...

gagjababy said:
grow some katnip

It is NOT legal here to grow catnip... Also they showed no interest to the plant when I bought some from herbalist...

Hi Corn :)

This is for household plants but covers your problem too ;)

If you're a cat owner, you might have noticed it upon returning from vacation - a previously robust plant now tattered and ripped. Or maybe it's been happening bite-by-bite over a gradual period of time, almost imperceptibly until one day you're watering a plant that barely has any leaves left. Who is the culprit? Your lovable feline friend!

Cats are notorious plant-eaters. How can we indulge our love of healthy indoor greenery while responsibly keeping a pet cat? It's important that we all take the necessary steps to prevent our cats from eating houseplants, not just because we don't want our plants to die, but primarily because many common houseplants are toxic to cats. Teaching your cat to avoid houseplants can be a matter of survival.

Toxic plant precautions. First of all, you should consult a list of toxic houseplants to determine whether or not any of your plants are toxic to cats. If you know or suspect that your cat has been consuming a toxic plant, contact your vetenary office or an emergency clinic immediately. It's not good enough to wait for the symptoms of poisoning to occur. If you tell the medical office what plant the cat ingested, the staff can provide appropriate advice.

If you keep toxic plants in your house, make sure they are well beyond the reach of your cat, whether by hanging them or keeping them on an inaccessible window sill. If the plant can shed leaves, they must not fall to a place where the cat can eat them.

The cause of your cat's habit might be digestive. If you've ever had an outdoor or semi-outdoor cat or dog, you would have likely noticed the pet occasionally eating grass or leaves, and perhaps vomiting or having diarrhea later. Pets eat grass because they aren't feeling well and want a substance to help them purge their system of unwanted elements. It's possible that your cat is eating houseplants for the same reason. Introducing a cat-friendly garden smorgasbord (potted grass, Catnip or other herbs) could give your cat a safe way to seek digestive aid. Encourage your cat to explore and play with these plants.
Dietary imbalance can also prompt your cat to eat plants. It's altogether possible that your cat is trying to compensate for an insufficient amount of fiber in his diet. Try feeding your cat a higher-fiber cat food to see if fiber insufficiency was the reason.
The passive approach: relocating plants. If your endangered houseplant is non-toxic but dear to you, and other methods of determent have failed, consider relocating your houseplant to an out-of-reach location or make its current location inaccessible.
Consider more aggressive deterrents.
In efforts to break those bad kitty habits, cat owners sometimes use a spray-bottle to spray water on a cat when he misbehaves. The downside to this strategy is that the cat owner must be present in order to administer discipline.

Another way to stop your cat from eating plants is to make them smell or taste repulsive. Using both smell and taste repellents simultaneously can achieve the desired effect. Hot sauce, chili oil and vinegar have all been used to teach a cat that the plant is undesirable. One positive aspect of this training method is that it doesn't require the owner's physical presence at all times. However, you will probably find this method most effective with new plants as opposed to older plants to which the cat has already made strong taste and smell associations.

The root of your cat's behavior may not be physical (as in dietary or digestive), but rather emotional. Like children (or adults, for that matter), cats can respond to stress or emotional strain by acting out in a variety of ways. For cats, eating houseplants generally brings attention, albeit the negative kind. If your cat is bullied by another pet or feels neglected by you, her emotional stress could manifest itself in destructive habits like eating houseplants. Examine your cat's living conditions. If you detect any potential source of emotional stress or unhappiness, try to neutralize it, whether by spending more time with your feline or by ensuring that she isn't bullied. You just might find that your cat stops eating those houseplants!
Though the disciplinary methods enjoy some success, no one really enjoys disciplining their furry friends. And besides, it hardly seems fair to spray your kitty with water if his behavior is a result of a dietary or digestive need, or a greater need for your attention. We owe it to our pets to examine their negative behavior and adjust their living conditions to remove the perceived need to engage in it. Explore dietary solutions, buy a cat garden and spend more quality time with your cat before resorting to the unpleasant discipline described previously. With a little consideration and patience, you can figure out why your cat is eating houseplants and put an end to it!

Thanks Hippi, this certainly is helpful!

Cornellius said:
It is NOT legal here to grow catnip... Also they showed no interest to the plant when I bought some from herbalist...

Your concerned about the legality of growing catnip? Do you have a med card for your herb?

Hippy- your such a ***** cat lover! lol

I just love a man who loves his cat!

gagjababy said:
Your concerned about the legality of growing catnip? Do you have a med card for your herb?

To be honest, I could care less about legality of cat nip but finding seeds is harder than Cannabis plant. There are no "Cat Nip" seed banks or no dealers to sell cat nip weed for werecats.

Ilikebigbuds said:
Hippy- your such a ***** cat lover! lol

I just love a man who loves his cat!

Totally chilled cat.

cc.jpg

Is catnip dangerous or something Cornellius? Over here catnip and oregano are two things the losers use to trick out the new MJ smoker. They have sold both as MJ before LOL. I have some catnip, and in the future we may be able to get you seeds...as long as it's not a REAL BAD thing over in your area. That's just wierd, poor cats. I also have cats, and dogs and they are not plant eaters believe it or not. However my one dog likes to eat containers, the plants die cause she chews on the pots LOL...she is pure evil though, cutest thing ever but PURE EVIL.

snuggles said:
Is catnip dangerous or something Cornellius? Over here catnip and oregano are two things the losers use to trick out the new MJ smoker. They have sold both as MJ before LOL. I have some catnip, and in the future we may be able to get you seeds...as long as it's not a REAL BAD thing over in your area. That's just wierd, poor cats. I also have cats, and dogs and they are not plant eaters believe it or not. However my one dog likes to eat containers, the plants die cause she chews on the pots LOL...she is pure evil though, cutest thing ever but PURE EVIL.

Weird, oregano is widely used in here as a spice... Catnip is not dangerous, to be honest I do not know why it is illegal. In here law works weirdly, for example you can grow cannabis with a licence and bird feed has considerable amount of seeds in it but farmers frown upon growing Cannabis. Catnip is sold in dried form in herbalists for sleeping disorders but illegal to grow... It is also illegal to grow Beta vulgaris var. saccharifera because it is forced upon the country that it has to buy Saccharum officinarum from USA only a limited amount is allowed to culcivated... This country is weird... When logic and propotion falls sloppy dead, and the white knight is talking backwards, go ask Alice, I think she knows...

LOL most gov'ts are weird even here, if something makes sense to us it doesn't always to "them"...silly stuff.

you can purchase lion urine (not joking) its used to get deer away from crops its really good since the animal picks up a fierce animal ahead (so it thinks)

mix some tobasco sauce or habanero and water mix- spray it on the plants and no more worries!

Latest posts

Back