my first grow, done cheap!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok:

Bag seeds (still 2 much of a sissy 2 order online.)
$50 70Watt HPS from Home Depot (going to 150 for next time, baby steps!)
2 clay pots from my grandma (told her I was growing Italian spinach)
Schultz Big Bloom 10-54-10
Miracle Grow Regs.
Schultz bug spray
Tin foil
Old electrical cord

total cost about $65.

Learned how to re-wire the lights from a post on here, separated the ballast and hung the light. This is under my basement stairs, 3ft. X 3ft. by 3ft.

Started with 11 plants, got 3 female, 7 male, and 1 hermi.

Any tips appreciated!!

Oh yeah, just started week 3 of flower, plants about 10-12" tall, one shorty.

SANY0420 resized.jpg

SANY0421 resized.jpg

how u know one is hermie? does it has male sacs even has flowering buds?

maybe its good to ditch that one??? before hermie can get your 2 plants to be hermie? IMO.. hermie drain all thc enegry down.. means low high and no high and smell funnny and smoke funny... I'm tired of that..

Uncle Dolge Monster said:
Ok:

Bag seeds (still 2 much of a sissy 2 order online.)
$50 70Watt HPS from Home Depot (going to 150 for next time, baby steps!)
2 clay pots from my grandma (told her I was growing Italian spinach)
Schultz Big Bloom 10-54-10
Miracle Grow Regs.
Schultz bug spray
Tin foil
Old electrical cord

total cost about $65.

Learned how to re-wire the lights from a post on here, separated the ballast and hung the light. This is under my basement stairs, 3ft. X 3ft. by 3ft.

Started with 11 plants, got 3 female, 7 male, and 1 hermi.

Any tips appreciated!!

Oh yeah, just started week 3 of flower, plants about 10-12" tall, one shorty.

Number one, you are severly underlit. For an area that is 3 x 3, you should have about 45000 lumens, which is 3 150W HPS or 1 400W HPS.

Foil is not a good material to use. Despite its appearance, it is a very poor reflector of light and can cause hot spots. If you are on a budget, flat white paint is a good choice (it needs to be flat, not semi-gloss or glossy).

I do hydro, so cannot comment on your choice of schultz nutes, but I know many that have had problems using Miracle-grow.

Why did you buy bug spray?

Your plants seem awfully small. Did you veg?

Screw going to the 150 don't waste your time or money. Make the jump to the 400w it will repay you ten fold in the end.

What the hell is that you have on your light as a reflector? I'm sure if you looked around you could come up with something better. On to the next thing I'm going to rip on you about is your wiring job. Go buy some merrets they are like 20 cents and do that right. Electrical tape does not = safe. That stuff will were out so unless you litterally want to end up with some "killer dope dude" I suggest you fix that before grandma has to go to your funeral.

Also is that a ceiling tile I see behind your light? Ummm no. Sheet it in if you need to OSB is about 8 dollars for a 4X8 sheet. Cheap like borscht. Cut it, frame it, paint it. I don't see a fan you'll need one of those as well, toughen those girls up.

Lastly but not least my final suggestion. Finish out this grow, enjoy what little smoke you get and plan out your next one. Gut that "grow room" you have now, spend your time here reading a researching, compile a list of materials you need save your money and do it right. The cheapest route will never stay the cheapest for long. It usually ends up costing you a lot more in the end. (with that wiring job it could even cost you your life or your home) Most importantly have fun and don't get discouraged by aholes like me.

Are merrets the little plastic thing you screw the wires into? I did use those plastic things, they are inside the electrical tape, you can't see them.

The plants are small, I started them outside and moved them inside after 4 weeks. they are 7 weeks old.

The reflector is tin foil, and yeah this was a throw together and learn type of thing, I am planning the next one already with most of what you mention, mylar lining, fan, better lights, etc..

The bug spray was for the spider mites, but they are gone.

I guess the lack of light can explain the slow growth??

and yes the hermie had flowers and then started growing sacs and flower growth slowed, so i chopped it a long time ago.

Thanks for all the input, I will try to post pictures of the new setup before I start growing and you guys can fine tune it for me.

If they are merretted then I take it back, take those wires and wrap them and then tape it together so as to take the pressure off of your splice you made. Something stunted your plants hard to say what exactly but yeah get some work put into that thing and it will reward you in the end. Like mom used to say a stitch in time saves you nine.

Thanks man!

What exactly does "a stitch in time saves you nine" mean? Is it saying to take your time and be accurate? Never could figure that one out.

thats cool but you should be using a MH bulb till there about 2 feet.. then switch over to the HPS once you start seeing white hairs both my bulbs are 1000 watt MH and HPS

whiterussian said:
thats cool but you should be using a MH bulb till there about 2 feet.. then switch over to the HPS once you start seeing white hairs both my bulbs are 1000 watt MH and HPS

Check out the pics and you can see he is about 3 weeks into flower with white hairs - pistils - already popped.

Yeah, these plants are midgets. Not sure if it was the outdoor beginning, or I didn't veg enough.

I have the next batch of seeds germinating now, I'll keep you guys posted.

Chopped them down. Heres a pic of the biggest one.

I have seedlings 1 week old, about 4" tall. This grow is gonna be better. Using small cocbuckets, I'll post pics when they are a little older.

SANY0441 new.jpg

Latest posts

Back