my first grow on a strict budget of $0

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it has a ballast but the hood is busted but from what i can tell that is a easy fix.my grow space is 6feet deep 4ft wide(small walk in closet) so it looks like 1000w is excessive and may cost more than needed not to mention itd throw off alot of heat for a small are. im not going to bother with the led's knowing my luck it wouldnt work well and itd be money i can put into something better so thank you for your opinion on led's. so im going to keep reading up but so far im leaning towards hushpuppy's recommendation.only question is would i need another light system for flowering? -cheers-

figured id put these up mainly. dont tell me to kill it because its a male,its far away from your grow so dont worry :] :edit:: lights came unhooked while i was taking the pics, the bottom light was just so the camera would work but is not there for any other reason :2nd edit::-noticed a little white hair in pic 3 would a male usually have that?

2012-09-22_22-19-40_3.jpg

2012-09-22_22-20-48_44.jpg

2012-09-22_22-20-54_438.jpg

2012-09-22_22-21-15_201.jpg

A Big waste of time and water unless you going to collect the pollen.

i got all the time in the world and i might now that you said that though no sense in growing yet another male in my lifetime if its not needed.

But the male is handsome though, except for the stretch, which could be taken care of next time. Heck you could save some seeds even.
It didnt work thousands of years without males and females or we wouldnt have the plant today.
Wake and Bake!!!!

:48:

ODF

The pollen that thing has released can last for months and pollenated future crops if not cleaned up properly.

prototype xvii said:
it has a ballast but the hood is busted but from what i can tell that is a easy fix.my grow space is 6feet deep 4ft wide(small walk in closet) so it looks like 1000w is excessive and may cost more than needed not to mention itd throw off alot of heat for a small are. im not going to bother with the led's knowing my luck it wouldnt work well and itd be money i can put into something better so thank you for your opinion on led's. so im going to keep reading up but so far im leaning towards hushpuppy's recommendation.only question is would i need another light system for flowering? -cheers-

LOL--a 4 x 6 spaced is not really a small space. Why do you believe a 1000W would be excessive? A 1000W is good for 16-30 sq ft--you are talking 24 sq ft. If you are going to grow in a 6 x 4 closet, you are going to need a 1000W--anything smaller than a 1000W would not enough light. And yes, it will put out some heat--you will need good ventilation. But you need ventilation regardless. The hood is broken how? Does it come with a bulb?

I personally think that 2 light systems are better--one for vegging (T5s) and one for flowering (HPS). I am really partial to the T5s that Hushpuppy mentioned--I have a 4 tube fixture I use in a 4 x 2 closet for vegging.

As a side note, plants should never be lit from underneath--that light you have on the floor is actually detrimental to plant growth and makes them stretch more.

I would also get that plant out of my house now before it spews pollen everywhere. I would not collect poillen from a plant with unknown genetics. If you want to make seeds (once you learn how to grow), I would use known genetics from proven winners. IMO, you are way better off learning to clone than to make seeds--breeders spend years and years sometimes stabilizing strains.

it does have a working bulb but the reflector sheild thing is dented up and somehow(dont even know how its possible) but the metal is torn on the right side panel.and i think its excessive for only growing up to 3 plants at a time but i could be wrong with that as well. the light on the floor is not there it was on for 3 min when taking the pics but no longer, the other light tht was on bottom was only there for a day then moved to the top. im going to let it grow a bit more then ill prolly put it outside and spare myself the cleanup job lol

prototype xvii said:
it does have a working bulb but the reflector sheild thing is dented up and somehow(dont even know how its possible) but the metal is torn on the right side panel.and i think its excessive for only growing up to 3 plants at a time but i could be wrong with that as well. the light on the floor is not there it was on for 3 min when taking the pics but no longer, the other light tht was on bottom was only there for a day then moved to the top. im going to let it grow a bit more then ill prolly put it outside and spare myself the cleanup job lol

"3" plants or 30 plants is irrelevant. It's about the size of the space being lit/used.
Just destroy the male. Putting it OD to possibly spoil someone elses females is irresponsible..;)

:yeahthat: think of others around you!

And :yeahthat: to size of room, not amount of plants!

and :yeahthat: to all that THG posted!

and :yeahthat: to getting that male out of there, looks like you'll be doing a cleaning anyway. An awful lot for a newb to learn all at once, betting future grows will be feeling the mistakes as well....

People here (especially those growing for upwards of decades) are merely trying to help you, usually a good idea to at least hear what they are trying to tell you. ;)

Growdude said:
The pollen that thing has released can last for months and pollenated future crops if not cleaned up properly.

Has released being key here....waiting only allows more of a mess than you already have.

ok so ive done some searching on google and what not to try to figure out what to do with my guy. he is a week into flowering a couple pollen sacs opened. could i make hash with him (i know its weak,just trying to see if i can get anything from it)cuz i want to kill him soon after re-reading most of what was said to me i figured that was best

Unfortunately, no, there is nothing to really do with as male except collect pollen if you want to breed (I advise against this with bagseed) or if you compost, put him in the compost pile.

Kill it... Or your gonna pull your hair out in a few months... There no trichs on it so there is nothing to make hash out of... Keep reading...

prototype xvii said:
he is dead, thank you to all whom posted
You are welcome hopefully you will have better luck next time.

Latest posts

Back