My homemade clone maker

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grower_Dude

Reaction score
I was in a hydroponics store the other day, and I saw that they sold devices for cloning. Being frugal, I gasped at the prices and decided to make my own.

In my basement, I found this glass container. It may have been a baby bottle sterilizer or some such. The first picture gives you an idea of what it looks like. The second picture offers a view from above with the top removed.

The third picture shows the support that I'm using to keep the plants out of the water. This is part of a grid for overhead fluorescent lights. They sell them at Home Depot, and they are very easy to shape with simple wire cutters. I imagine that just about anything would work, but I like that this is plastic and easy to wash.

The fourth picture reveals a fish tank bubbler. This isn't necessary, but it saves me having to change the water every day. If you don't have a bubbler, and if you don't change the water regularly, you'll run out of oxygen rather quickly.

I followed the directions in http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17650 to prepare the cutting. The fifth picture shows one of the clones after 7 days. The others are not rooting as quickly but are coming along fine.

I like that I am able to keep so much leafy material with this approach. I hope that once I plant this in soil, I'll be well on my way.

Any thoughts?

Best,

GD

Cloner01.jpg

Cloner02.jpg

Cloner03.jpg

Cloner04.jpg

Cloner05.jpg

great job, again, patience is a virtue, i just bought an ez clone, then after all the research ive done, i see how easy it is to just make my own, DOH! oh well, at least i know the ez clone will work, but hats off to you my friend for making your own, just make sure the roots arent exposed to a lot of light, i hear they dont like that very much, otherwise, great job!

Thank you for the replies. I suppose that I could paint the portion below the support or use some other method to darken the root area.

I won't be doing so much of this as I only grow for myself and to share with close friends, but it is nice to know that if I have a good plant to start, I have a mechanism in place.

I have two cuttings each of Apollo's Widow, Candy, Dumpster and X. The Apollo's widow is rooting the most quickly so far.

Best,

GD

hiddencreekboy said:
we made "rooting boxes" ---took cuttings from shrubs,dipped in root hormine and placed in a rooting box---it had a vermulicate based medium---
or am i missing something?
'nuff said peace out

I understand that approach works very well, but I haven't tried it. I suspect that it would work more quickly than what I have here, but given that I am so new at this, I wanted to try something more familiar.

Grower_Dude said:
I understand that approach works very well, but I haven't tried it. I suspect that it would work more quickly than what I have here, but given that I am so new at this, I wanted to try something more familiar.

What works for you is whats best, good job Dude.

Good Job buddy! I was thinking of doing a similar set up myself as im petty frugal too! haha Let us know how they do please. Oh I would definitely darken the root area with duct tape or paint it black or something. maby put a piece of plexiglass over the top and lower the light. Plexiglass is cheap and you can cut it with a saw.

Here is the news so far: after about 8 days, two of the clones rooted beautifully, so I've transplanted them to soil. They look good so far. Of the remaining six plants, two (Dumpster) have me concerned as they look like they are dying. The remaining four have yet to root in any meaningful way, but the plants still look fine.

I'll post back in a few days to let you know the outcome.

Best,

GD

Growdude said:
What works for you is whats best, good job Dude.

Given that two of the eight clones don't look so good, I should probably learn how to do it as you suggest. There are a number of good guides in the FAQ section for me to review.

GD

Excellent re-engineering of that baby bottle sterilizer :aok:

as for cloning, I never do more than just snip, dip and stick :farm: it works dang near everytime for me :hubba:

Latest posts

Back