mylar question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramigaicinda

Reaction score
I have a question about mylar. fisrt I have two rooms 1 8x10 grow room with 1000watt hps the other 14x6 veg room 400 watt mh . Does the mylar have to cover the whole wall or just from the spot the light hits at its highest height and down? do you cover the ceiling? what is ideal and what is acceptable. I don't have enough to fully cover both rooms and want to use the 100 ft the best I can. Any sugestions??

I applied my mylar 4'wide, starting at about 2' off the floor. I end up in 5 gal buckets, so they are higher than 2' off the floor, and I usually dont grow 6' tall plants, so the 4' wide application works for me in my space.

I grow in 5 gal buckets and started my mylar about 2 inches below the top of the buckets. I would not put it on the cieling.

Anybody got the stats on Mylar vs flat white paint? Or even panda film? The cost structure we know: Mylar$$$, panda$$ then paint$.

ramigaicinda said:
I have a question about mylar. fisrt I have two rooms 1 8x10 grow room with 1000watt hps the other 14x6 veg room 400 watt mh . Does the mylar have to cover the whole wall or just from the spot the light hits at its highest height and down? do you cover the ceiling? what is ideal and what is acceptable. I don't have enough to fully cover both rooms and want to use the 100 ft the best I can. Any sugestions??

IMO, if you have a 1000W in an 80 sq ft room and a 400W in an 84 sq ft room, your light is disbursing before it can get to the walls to reflect back anything and the effectiveness of mylar would be negligible. Unless you have the lights in a corner, you are wasting a huge amount of light. And even then, you would only be reflecting light on 2 sides. A 1000W HPS is good for about 30 sq ft and a 400W MH about 9 sq ft. You really need to have a space with 4 walls that is the correct sq footage for your light, or it just disburses throughout the entire room...

The Hemp Goddess said:
IMO, if you have a 1000W in an 80 sq ft room and a 400W in an 84 sq ft room, your light is disbursing before it can get to the walls to reflect back anything and the effectiveness of mylar would be negligible. Unless you have the lights in a corner, you are wasting a huge amount of light. And even then, you would only be reflecting light on 2 sides. A 1000W HPS is good for about 30 sq ft and a 400W MH about 9 sq ft. You really need to have a space with 4 walls that is the correct sq footage for your light, or it just disburses throughout the entire room...

I am new to growing inside as you can tell. I read that you need 2000 lummes per square foot. In the grow room the area i am putting the mylar is about 7x8 which gives me over 2000 lummes. Is it info I have read incorrect? The a square footage of 56? Am I wasting my time and money on the mylar? This room size is what I have to work with its an old walk in frezzer that doesn't lend itself to modification . I have been looking for square footges but could not find them, so this is very helpfull.

How many plants can go under a 1000 watts? I'd like about 6-8 which I read is ok but ?

The veg room is divided into two section, one is for cloning and seedling on a plant stands with floresents the actual grow space is about 6x 4. The plants are in there with no mylar and growing very well. From what you have said I may need another light. can I suplemant with floresents? I have tonnes of those? would that help?

Thanks.

I have used both Mylar and flat white paint. I could not see the difference. I like Flat White Paint,,easy to apply,,no wrinkles,,and no worry about removing it in a hurry.
Now dont nobody jump on me,,I aint saying Mylar cant be better,,Im just saying I never seen the difference in My CLONES(same strain) I have been growing for quit awhile in my growroom. 1st couple grows were with Mylar and then I took it down,,and now I have been using Flat White Paint on the last couple grows,, and honestly I cant see any difference what so ever.

ramigaicinda said:
I read that you need 2000 lummes per square foot. In the grow room the area i am putting the mylar is about 7x8 which gives me over 2000 lummes. Is it info I have read incorrect? The a square footage of 56? Am I wasting

:rolleyes:This information is wrong:rolleyes: You need a minimal of 3000 lumens just to keep it growing, and 5000 lumens will grow you some real nice buds

So I need to make my grow room smaller. Are the dimentions going to matter?

If I do 8x4 would that be ok?
Can I make a curtin out of mylar? will it hold up? no one will need to go through it It just that I can't put a wall up in the space?

How many plants would you suggest for that space?

The most frutrating thing about the web is the mis information!!!!!!! Thanks so much for all the help!

with a 8 x 4 room you would need 1500 to 2000 watts

Your local Home Depot or a store of that nature sells insulation that works great, highly reflective on both sides. That is sturdy enough to make walls but still light weight.

I would make the room 4 x 6 or 4 x 7.
Depends on how you grow, on how many plants you can grow.
If that was my set up I would grow between 6 and 8 plants maybe 10, but that is me.

Your information is incorrect. You need a min of 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and a min of 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering.

A 4 x 8 room is pushing the limits of your 1000W. If you cannot put up some kind of enclosure, you may not be able to grow. You cannot make a curtain out of mylar as a substitute for a wall. You may be able to make a tent out of PVC and Panda film, however. Your flowering room is going to need to be absolutely light tight during flowering. You are also going to need ventilation.

THG has a GREAT idea.

Usuing cheap 1/2' - 3/4" pvc, just build a basic frame to make your flowering space a little smaller to maximise your lumens. I would then use Panda Poly, and a Tarp Zipper for access. Very simple and cheap.
Here are a couple of links for materials. Replace XX with tt in the addy.

hXXp://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2720171&CAWELAID=109398916

hXXp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/panda-55-mil-white-black-poly-film-p-1712.html

Or you can go get 2 more 1000w HPS, but thats just me.......

thanks so much. The rooms is completly light tight with ventilation, so I just need to figure out a way to make a wall. If theres a will theres always a way:hubba: :hubba: :hubba:

Home Depot and Lowes carries sheets 4x8 or 4x10 of stuff called R Max. It comes in 1/2",5/8 ,and 3/4. I use the 5/8 for its thickness and sturdyness. You can cut it with a razor blade. One side is reflective. The great thing about it is ya can build light weight walls out of it. I used Black Masking tape to put together.

The Hemp Goddess said:

This is a good point. Why waste light? Maybe you could hang the mylar from rods suspended just outside the space the plants take up, thereby making the grow room "smaller" while bringing the mylar close enough to be beneficial?
I would put small hook/screws in the ceiling, hang wires from them to hold up an8' length of PVC pipe or bamboo or whatever, then fold over each piece of mylar about three inches at the top and glue it to make a "hem", then run the PVC or bamboo thru the opening. let the mylar hang free unless your fan blows it around. Where there's a will, there's a way! Just an idea, LOL. My grow room is too big, too and this is my basic plan.

that what I was thinking as well. I think I can configer my fans around it. I would like to get another light at some point but not right away... thanks

Latest posts

Back