Myth or Fact?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jb247

JuztBudz
Reaction score
:confused: My grow mentor has repeatedly told me that this is an arguement that has been thrown around for years...is it possible to give your plants too much light? He tells me that you do eventually reach a point of diminishing returns...I have 7 plants going under a 600w air cooled system in a 3' x 4' area and was thinking I could add another 600w and improve my buds. Temps are at 78 degrees right now. I doubt that my temps would go up too much with a bigger fan in place...what's your take on this question?

thanks for your imput

Peace...j.b.

It would end up depending on how much light you gave them per day, 18/6, 16/8 ect... and how close you keep them

and besides you'll end up needing a larger lighting system for 7 plants

buy this hood.

hxxp://www.sunlightsupply.com/hort/products.aspx?request=HORT_MAGNUM_XXXL&title=Reflectors&type=product

This is in my flower room...I use t5's in the veg room...

Peace...j.b.

Easy answer; You would have much more bud if you just use that second light in a second grow room. The size and quality of your bud isn't going to be enough to justify the light.

Unless you're in competition to see how much weight you can get from a 3x4 room. If that's the case, then every gram counts.

If you start a second room of plants, you'll have almost twice the bud you'll have with both lights in the same room.

Geez Potus, you're so right...hmm I am thinking of doubling the size of the room, why not two rooms...

Peace...j.b.

Yes the more lighting you have the more bud you will get in the end and by the way i have 1 plant under a 1000 watt light and shes doing great! Your friend doesn't know what hes talking about.

In one of my grow books it does mention diminishing returns. According to the book it says that there is a point reached when there is no more increase in yield for an increase in light. You can get to the point where you are wasting light. It makes sense to me.

whiterussian said:
Yes the more lighting you have the more bud you will get in the end and by the way i have 1 plant under a 1000 watt light and shes doing great! Your friend doesn't know what hes talking about.
If you used a 400 watt light over the same exact plant, you'd end up with almost the same weight at harvest.

Yes, you're wasting your money and your light.

After more than 25 years of inside growing, I'm absolutely positive that I'm correct.

If you were having a contest to see who could grow more weed by weight in a small room, then sure, the extra couple of ounces you get with the other 600 watts would matter.

But if you had a grow and only harvested two ounces of weed with 600 watts of light, it would be a sorry grow indeed. That's the difference you'll see with your extra 600 watts of light.

Get yourself two 400 watt HPS and do two grow rooms using nothing but those lights. You'll end up with twice the weed you'll get from your 1000 watt light in one room and still only use 800 watts of light.

I see two different questions here.

IF JB has 7 plants under a 600 in a 3x4 room, then another 600 over the canopy will increse the weight,density of the 3x4 area.
BUT, it would be better utilized over another 3x4 area and another 7 plants under it. This will give JB more OVERALL weight. Yes, two rooms will give more weight.

The one plant under a 1000 had me think for a bit. First off, I have to disagree with POTUS on one issue. If you change a 1000 to a 400 even for one plant, it will greatly decrease the overall yeild. Of course, this depends on a number of things, like Veg time, strain and grower ability. BUT, if you are on your game and train your plant and let her get big, there is no way a 400 will produce what that 1000w can.
I personnaly think it is not a good use of a 1000 to grow one plant.

NorCalHal said:
I have to disagree with POTUS on one issue. If you change a 1000 to a 400 even for one plant, it will greatly decrease the overall yeild. Of course, this depends on a number of things, like Veg time, strain and grower ability. BUT, if you are on your game and train your plant and let her get big, there is no way a 400 will produce what that 1000w can.
I already stated that the thousand watt light will produce more. There is no arguing that fact. What I'm saying is from years of experience, it won't produce an amount even close to what another room with a 400 over a crop will produce. If someone is looking for the most weed per/sq/area, than a 400 pretty much maxes out the productivity of a 3 x 4 foot room in comparison to what the difference in weight will be if more light is added. I've already done it both ways. The difference was slightly over two ounces of cured weed. To me, that simply is not worth the cost of another 600 watts of electricity when another 400 watts of light on another 3 x 4 foot room will DOUBLE the quantity of cured weed. It's a matter of having 18 or 19 ounces of cured weed from a 1000 watt grow in a 3 x 4 room, or having 32 ounces of cured weed from two 3 x 4 rooms with 400 watts each.

The math is proven. The math is easy. The outcome is obvious.

How can anyone argue with something that has already been proven?

If the walls are either mylar or flat, bright, white paint, and the light has a reflector that covers the entire grow area, hydroponics is used to max out the nutrient/oxygen levels and everything is done in a proper manner, then a 400 watt HPS is all that's needed in a 3 x 4 area to produce a pound of world class weed.

In the same exact senerio, if 1000 watts is used, an increase of about 3 ounces of cured weed will be realized. To me, that just isn't a good return for the costs of 600 additional watts of light.

Of course, that's just my opinion that is based on actual grows where I did exactly what I've described. :hubba: :watchplant:

First off, I do agree that having a second room will increse the overall weight.

But, what you are saying is that you can get 1.14 watts per gram off of your 400 in a 3x4 area. Thats awesome, and something most growers cannot acheive.
In that SAME area, I can get a solid 24 oz off a 1000w consistently. This gives me a .68 gram per watt. Sure, you beat me in gram per watt, but I have more weight in the same area. I have hit 2.03 grams per watt under 1000's, but that is VERY difficult to consistenly maintain.

Do I think that 2 equal sized rooms with a 400 in each will produce more consistenly than 1 room with a 1000w? I would regretably have to say yes :( BUT, only if the grower is on top of things and knows what they are doing.

Do I think that 1000w will only produce 2-3 oz more then a 400w, hell no, not even close. And if it did, something is wrong. There is also a difference in adding a 600 and a 400 to get to a 1000, rather then 1 1000w lite.

No disrespect POTUS, none at all. This is a great argument and I am looking forward to your response man!

There is a poin of diminishing returns but it all depends on your plants. I mean 2000w hps is going to be overkill for 1 plant but for 12 it might be ideal

NorCalHal said:
First off, I do agree that having a second room will increse the overall weight.

But, what you are saying is that you can get 1.14 watts per gram off of your 400 in a 3x4 area. That's awesome, and something most growers cannot achieve.
In that SAME area, I can get a solid 24 oz off a 1000w consistently. This gives me a .68 gram per watt. Sure, you beat me in gram per watt, but I have more weight in the same area. I have hit 2.03 grams per watt under 1000's, but that is VERY difficult to consistently maintain.

Do I think that 2 equal sized rooms with a 400 in each will produce more consistently than 1 room with a 1000w? I would regrettably have to say yes :( BUT, only if the grower is on top of things and knows what they are doing.

Do I think that 1000w will only produce 2-3 oz more then a 400w, hell no, not even close. And if it did, something is wrong. There is also a difference in adding a 600 and a 400 to get to a 1000, rather then 1 1000w lite.

No disrespect POTUS, none at all. This is a great argument and I am looking forward to your response man!
I used 860 watts in my 3.5 x 5.5 grow room and got 19 ounces. With a 430 in the same room, using the same methods, I got 16 ounces. 430 watts for 3 ounces of bud ain't a bargain. When I did it in two rooms, I got 32 ounces with 860 watts.

24 ounces with a thousand watts....hmmmmmmm hehe

If space were limited and funds unlimited, I could see going that direction. However, I have room for 20 rooms that size. If I were inclined to use more than one at a time now, I could be floating in weed by doing 430 watts in each room.

No offence meant or taken man. This place is for exactly what we're doing! Talking about the best way to make some bud!

Stoney.

POTUS said:
I used 860 watts in my 3.5 x 5.5 grow room and got 19 ounces. With a 430 in the same room, using the same methods, I got 16 ounces. 430 watts for 3 ounces of bud ain't a bargain. When I did it in two rooms, I got 32 ounces with 860 watts.

24 ounces with a thousand watts....hmmmmmmm hehe

If space were limited and funds unlimited, I could see going that direction. However, I have room for 20 rooms that size. If I were inclined to use more than one at a time now, I could be floating in weed by doing 430 watts in each room.

No offence meant or taken man. This place is for exactly what we're doing! Talking about the best way to make some bud!

Stoney.

Wow lol if i could thank u a 1000 times i would! thanks for that great piece of info, lol i finally just got all of it.

whiterussian said:
in the sense of "overlighting" your pot,...absolutly ludacris...i would consider the amout of light i was using to be optimal...but nowhere near overdoing it.....indoors at that ??? nahhh...i was gonna use 300,000 lumens in my flower room and i don't think that was gonna give em' sun poisining...take a light meter and measure the intensity of 1 1000w hps...then take that meter outside on a sunny day....i would imagine that the only way to "overlight" your plants would involve an intensity/heat stress coefficient.....intensity alone won't hurt it

PUFF MONKEY said:
in the sense of "overlighting" your pot,...absolutly ludacris...i would consider the amout of light i was using to be optimal...but nowhere near overdoing it.....indoors at that ??? nahhh...i was gonna use 300,000 lumens in my flower room and i don't think that was gonna give em' sun poisining...take a light meter and measure the intensity of 1 1000w hps...then take that meter outside on a sunny day....i would imagine that the only way to "overlight" your plants would involve an intensity/heat stress coefficient.....intensity alone won't hurt it
Yea i'm a Noob and i def agree because from what i've read NO light is brighter than the sun!! haha peace

Ha! Man, I've been shot down! Someone gave me bad rep for this thread! Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I'm wounded!

Damn, what in the world did I say that pissed someone off enough to throw bad rep on me?

hehehe, I'm bleedin Ow, ow, ow, oh my!:D

Latest posts

Back