Myth or Fact?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One thing u gotta understand is having just one light in a small room is very easy to control and much more managable. To get a gram per watt from smaller set-ups should be "the norm".

It has been a long time since I have used only one light in a room, but I know if I used a 1000w over a 4x4 area, and only had one light/tray to deal with, I could get a gram per watt pretty consistently.

When I say I average 24 oz per 1000w, this is in a room with 4000w. Bigger rooms are alot harder to max the yeild out per watt, imho.
I do think that, for the average joe, finished bud will be bigger and more dense then running it under a 400, that is for sure.
Now, if you have been working with a 400 for 25 years and use that lighting allways, I am sure you can max it out to it's full potential. But, for a new guy, I think he/she will be dissapointed with the results of a 400 instead of a 1000w.

I am sure with your experience Stoney, that u have no issues with acheiveing the gram per watt. And, as I said, it is a big difference in running 2-400's, or a 600 and 400 compared to a 1000. With a single 1000, I am sure you would max out the gram per watt on that with your experience.

Yeah. How many lumens IS direct sunlight (on average) anyway?

was'nt me ...that does suck though..maybe it was a misclick...

leafminer said:
I've read that it's about the equivilant of 10,000 lumens per/sq ft. on a clear summer day. To me, that doesn't seem like enough. It's the only stat I've read on it.

NorCalHal said:
Now, if you have been working with a 400 for 25 years and use that lighting always, I am sure you can max it out to it's full potential.
Plus I'm a cheap bastid. hehe

I've used every method I've ever heard about. I built a 10 x 10 room full of flo's once. I used 1/2 ply and mounted each light, one at a time, 1 inch apart. That was when H/O flo's first came out about 30 years ago. Man, if that board had fallen....YIKES. I had it on four pulleys with boat type tie offs at each corner. I raised it about an inch a day. All I did then was top them. LST wasn't ever heard of at that time. I did some, but I didn't know it had a name. I was just trying to keep all the plants the same height so they didn't get into the bulbs. Hell, some of the time, I just broke them off. I've learned a lot since then.

That was my very first hydro grow, BTW. I got my hands on some two part mix that was for tomatoes. It worked pretty damn good.

I screwed the pooch on that one. I had no idea what I was doing. Until then, I was strictly an outside grower and did nothing but plant seedlings and come back at the end of the year. I used to put plants out all over the state. If 5 were left at harvest, I was good until the next year.

PUFF MONKEY said:
was'nt me ...that does suck though..maybe it was a misclick...
Hahahahaaha, it's all good man. That kind of thing doesn't bother me.

<sniff> I've been crying for a half hour. My life is ruined! RUINED I say! I'm going to OD on weed. I'm smoking until I puke. The tears! they keep putting out the match! I can't light my bong! It's all over now.......

hehe

POTUS said:
Ha! Man, I've been shot down! Someone gave me bad rep for this thread! Ohhhhhhhhhhh, I'm wounded!

Damn, what in the world did I say that pissed someone off enough to throw bad rep on me?

hehehe, I'm bleedin Ow, ow, ow, oh my!:D
What's bad rep POTUS?

POTUS said:
I already stated that the thousand watt light will produce more. There is no arguing that fact. What I'm saying is from years of experience, it won't produce an amount even close to what another room with a 400 over a crop will produce. If someone is looking for the most weed per/sq/area, than a 400 pretty much maxes out the productivity of a 3 x 4 foot room in comparison to what the difference in weight will be if more light is added. I've already done it both ways. The difference was slightly over two ounces of cured weed. To me, that simply is not worth the cost of another 600 watts of electricity when another 400 watts of light on another 3 x 4 foot room will DOUBLE the quantity of cured weed. It's a matter of having 18 or 19 ounces of cured weed from a 1000 watt grow in a 3 x 4 room, or having 32 ounces of cured weed from two 3 x 4 rooms with 400 watts each.

The math is proven. The math is easy. The outcome is obvious.

How can anyone argue with something that has already been proven?

If the walls are either mylar or flat, bright, white paint, and the light has a reflector that covers the entire grow area, hydroponics is used to max out the nutrient/oxygen levels and everything is done in a proper manner, then a 400 watt HPS is all that's needed in a 3 x 4 area to produce a pound of world class weed.

In the same exact senerio, if 1000 watts is used, an increase of about 3 ounces of cured weed will be realized. To me, that just isn't a good return for the costs of 600 additional watts of light.

Of course, that's just my opinion that is based on actual grows where I did exactly what I've described. :hubba: :watchplant:
i have no idea why this is so hard to understand...maybe if i put it in 1000w terms..here i go..if you have 2 rooms @1000w each, you'll get more pot than if you had 1 room with 2000w....probably because you can grow more plants in 2 rooms:rolleyes:

leafminer said:
my meter maxes out at 10,000......in direct sunlight it would spin around 3 or 4 times if it were'nt pegged off....wayyyyyy more than any hps bulb.....but what if you had the power to run one of those big event spot lights ????

according to wiki, the sun emits the intensity = to 100,000 candela....wiki defines a candela as...you ready for this ??.....The candela is the luminous intensity, in a given direction, of a source that emits monochromatic radiation of frequency 540×10-12p hertz and that has a radiant intensity in that direction of 1/683 watt per steradian....yeah it hurt my head too

/\/\Blunted BoB/\/\ said:
What's bad rep POTUS?
That little do-hicky that looks a little like a cauliflower, on the bottom left side of each post you read. It's actually a "scale" (I think), and when you click it, it gives you the option of giving a good reputation point or a bad one. The good and bad ones show up in your "User CP".

Here's a little guide to tell you the comparitive brightness of different conditions.

But first, you have to understand the difference between "Lux" and "Lumens".

Both measure how bright light is. They can be compared to each other using the below information:

Lux versus lumen

The difference between the lux and the lumen is that the lux takes into account the area over which the luminous flux is spread. 1000 lumens, concentrated into an area of one square metre, lights up that square metre with an illuminance of 1000 lux. The same 1000 lumens, spread out over ten square metres, produces a dimmer illuminance of only 100 lux.

Achieving an illuminance of 500 lux might be possible in a home kitchen with a single fluorescent light fixture with an output of 12000 lumens. To light a factory floor with dozens of times the area of the kitchen would require dozens of such fixtures. Thus, lighting a larger area to the same level of lux requires a greater number of lumens.

10-5 lux Light from the brightest star (Sirius)
10-4 lux Total starlight, overcast sky
0.002 lux Moonless clear night sky with airglow
0.01 lux Quarter moon
0.27 lux Full moon on a clear night
1 lux Full moon overhead at tropical latitudes
3.4 lux Dark limit of civil twilight under a clear sky
50 lux Family living room
80 lux Hallway/toilet
100 lux Very dark overcast day
320 lux Recommended office lighting (Australia)
400 lux Sunrise or sunset on a clear day. Well-lit office area.
500 lux Lighting level for an office according to the European law.
1000 lux Overcast day; typical TV studio lighting
10,000&#8211;25,000 lux Full daylight (not direct sun)
32,000&#8211;130,000 lux Direct sunlight

POTUS said:
Plus I'm a cheap bastid. hehe

I've used every method I've ever heard about. I built a 10 x 10 room full of flo's once. I used 1/2 ply and mounted each light, one at a time, 1 inch apart. That was when H/O flo's first came out about 30 years ago. Man, if that board had fallen....YIKES. I had it on four pulleys with boat type tie offs at each corner. I raised it about an inch a day. All I did then was top them. LST wasn't ever heard of at that time. I did some, but I didn't know it had a name. I was just trying to keep all the plants the same height so they didn't get into the bulbs. Hell, some of the time, I just broke them off. I've learned a lot since then.

That was my very first hydro grow, BTW. I got my hands on some two part mix that was for tomatoes. It worked pretty damn good.

I screwed the pooch on that one. I had no idea what I was doing. Until then, I was strictly an outside grower and did nothing but plant seedlings and come back at the end of the year. I used to put plants out all over the state. If 5 were left at harvest, I was good until the next year.

Well my friend, we have a bit in commen. I too started with regular flouros on a board raised and lowered by pulleys. I had it under my house in a small basement. Every morning, the whole house would stink. I had never seen or heard of a carbon scrubber. If I remember right, we had like 600 watts of flouro rockin'. Good times.

Never tried outdoor, as I have lived in the city most of my life.

Srry to hear u got bad rep, I didn't even know u could.

NorCalHal said:
Well my friend, we have a bit in commen. I too started with regular flouros on a board raised and lowered by pulleys. I had it under my house in a small basement. Every morning, the whole house would stink. I had never seen or heard of a carbon scrubber. If I remember right, we had like 600 watts of flouro rockin'. Good times.
I don't have a clue how much wattage I had. It was 8 foot tubes covering the entire 8 x 8 foot ply structure that was framed with 2 x 4's. I had a fan built into the window blowing out, that was strong as hell. I opened the windows in the whole house and it made a nice breeze through the house to the grow room. No smell, because there was so much air it didn't have time to smell...hehe

Weed was something like 20 bucks an ounce then. I had it falling out of my ears.

Well, thank you all for making this post so informative...and funny...if I've learned one thing from this posting, its that I still have alot to learn. Thought I was getting my grow action in order, but even after a couple of years of scouring the net for info, there is so much more to be learned...I love growing my own meds, its a fun process

Peace...j.b.

POTUS said:
I used 860 watts in my 3.5 x 5.5 grow room and got 19 ounces. With a 430 in the same room, using the same methods, I got 16 ounces. 430 watts for 3 ounces of bud ain't a bargain. When I did it in two rooms, I got 32 ounces with 860 watts.

24 ounces with a thousand watts....hmmmmmmm hehe

If space were limited and funds unlimited, I could see going that direction. However, I have room for 20 rooms that size. If I were inclined to use more than one at a time now, I could be floating in weed by doing 430 watts in each room.

No offence meant or taken man. This place is for exactly what we're doing! Talking about the best way to make some bud!

Stoney.
Now someone gives me bad rep for this post.

The explanation for the bad rep says "u dom't make sense".

Pretty funny.

POTUS said:
Now someone gives me bad rep for this post.

The explanation for the bad rep says "u dom't make sense".

Pretty funny.
..hmm prolly all those multi-syllable words.. :p :rofl:..

POTUS I tried to give ya a good rep to offset the bad one but it gave me this message. You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later. Weird thing is I never used it before, I never knew about it. Anyway it should have at least allowed you to know who gave ya a bad rep IMO.

tesla said:
POTUS I tried to give ya a good rep to offset the bad one but it gave me this message. You have given out too much Reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later. Weird thing is I never used it before, I never knew about it. Anyway it should have at least allowed you to know who gave ya a bad rep IMO.
Hey, I look at it this way; You can't make everyone happy. I have a couple of people I know who just hate me here. You ought to see the PM one of them sent me once. No problem for me. I have lots and lots of friends here also.

Thanks for the try! That's a nice thing to do!

Peace,

Stoney.

Latest posts

Back