Need advice please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShecallshimThor

Master of funk
Reaction score
Ok so I have a friend who went away for a week. On Tuesday I checked in on their plants and animals and such. All was good. Today however not so good, two plants seem to have mites.......

All plants are autos, one with Borg is coming down sundayish and the rest have less than a week.

I figure I have few options but my main questions are
1: the products made for fruits and veggies that say you can harvest next day, are they safe and do they work

2: if the plant has mites what do you do with it? If harvest whats smoke able/save able?

I feel sh!tty that this happened to them on their first run and while "I was in charge" lol but I know I didn't do anything diff they do. Any advice on what do to will be appreciated

This is NOT your fault. The mite infestation almost certainly started before she left. They are so small that it takes a bunch of them before you even notice them.

At this point there is really nothing you can do. I would not spray with any product for mites. While some say they are safe, I wonder and they can affect the way the bud tastes. If you are in an arid place, you can probably spray down the plants with plain water and knock a bunch of them off. However if there is a chance of mold or mildew spraying might not even be an option. The bud is smokable. We ingest more insect parts with our breakfast cereal than from smoking bud that had mites.

I would say the best thing you can do at this point is vaccume them buggers...use a house vac with hose...dont use a big ole shop vac like I did:doh: took buds and All...

:48:

The Hemp Goddess said:
We ingest more insect parts with our breakfast cereal than from smoking bud that had mites.

Hahahahaha Made my morning, but now afraid of bong hoots and fruit loops need a new breakfast of champions.

I like your idea 4u, but ya I'd be a little paranoid of sucking up trichs

Thanks you guys

The only thing i can think of is when you harvest them, shake the plant out. That would help remove the **** if nothing else.then when drying and there isn't anything good to eat for the mites, they either die and fall off or leave. That's the best I got. That is a big fat drag.

Yup them dreaded mites Can't believe that the grower would not of seen webs
them mites have been there for a while your a week away from harvest i say give them a good watering and walk away :)

i would buy me a hot shot hanging strip that close to harvest---such a shame to let all that work go to the mites

Dr fever
It was not an infestation yet, one plant had little webbing deeper in the bud. I only noticed because I was taking small leaves off to check trichs. Tuesday when I checked her there was no evidence of bugs, so from Tuesday-Friday they made the one I found and then thoroughly checked the rest. There was only two other plants that had them, barely.

Orangesun
What's this "hot shot hanging strip"?

ShecallshimThor said:
Dr fever

Orangesun
What's this "hot shot hanging strip"?

hot shot no pest strip from johnson and johnson---nothing organic about it but it worked for me when i got late infestation of mites---hang it in the flower room---should get you thru to harvest without any ill effects

It worked for you? Glad to hear, checked out their website and it said not safe for edibles. So how sure are you there were no ill effects lol. I'd like to try this stuff but dunno if I'd use it late in flower.

I wouldn't use anything late in flowering. The No Pest Strips are not safe either. Your options at this point are pretty much not chemical--wash them off, vacuum them that is about all you can do.

ShecallshimThor said:
It worked for you? Glad to hear, checked out their website and it said not safe for edibles. So how sure are you there were no ill effects lol. I'd like to try this stuff but dunno if I'd use it late in flower.

always do what's comfortable for you---i certainly wouldn't lick the solid---it is not being rubbed onto the plant---think about pig pen in snoopy and the cloud of dust always around him---that's how these work---i did not have any ill effects---it worked for me---i saved my crop and would use it again if i get the borg late like that again---drastic circumstances call for drastic measures---i am not in a climate that would allow me to rinse with water---it would eradicate the borg and leave me with mold weed

No Pest Strips have toxic things in them. While I wouldn't worry about them in veg or early in flower, they are as bad as any pesticides you could spray on your plants late in flower. Feeling no ill effects does not mean that there are no ill effects. If you wouldn't spray with something like Floramite, don't use something like a No Pest Strip. Read the warnings before you use any pesticides.

The Hemp Goddess said:
No Pest Strips have toxic things in them. While I wouldn't worry about them in veg or early in flower, they are as bad as any pesticides you could spray on your plants late in flower. Feeling no ill effects does not mean that there are no ill effects. If you wouldn't spray with something like Floramite, don't use something like a No Pest Strip. Read the warnings before you use any pesticides.

true that thg---my suggestion is not for regular practice---it is an extreme solution to an extreme problem---it was pest strip or give my entire crop to the borg which was essentially a no brainer for me---as preventative mainttainance i now recommend and always spray forbid when i flip the lights and week 2 do a sulphur burn ;)

Rubbing alcohol. Get the 70% solution and douse the plants in it. Wont harm the plants at all but the bugs hate it. The alcohol will evaporate in no time. Its the only thing I use late flower for pests.

The rubbing alcohol won't hurt the plants, buds, or trichomes?

Nope. You wont even know you sprayed them in an hour.

Btw, make sure they are well ventilated after spraying.

We use alcohol to extract THC. I do not understand how alcohol could not hurt the trichs?

I have however used an alcohol spray when vegging and it really didn't do much to get rid of the mites.

Because they dont soak in an alcohol solution and the alcohol evaporates rather quickly. Always worked for me but i've never had any bad infestations.

bombbudpuffa said:
... i've never had any bad infestations....

I'll tell you that it just sucks to have a bad infestation. I have to be diligent all the time. I don't know if it that I live in the mountains, have dogs, and there is a lot of flora and fauna, but I get them way too often, even though my grow rooms are clean.

Latest posts

Back