Need help understanding and explaining

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShecallshimThor

Master of funk
Reaction score
How is it that a 1000 watt light does 4x4 area but you only want it 36 inches from garden max.

Is the furthest corner of the garden really getting enough light?

Currently planning a new space and trying to decide if I should hang light above garden
or
hang it in the middle of a DIY colosseum type setup where there would be three rows going up like stairs
but my prob with this setup up is having to spin plants every day or they'd not get even lighting. And the third row would be 3 ft away min which is to far right?

I go as close as 12 - 18 inches with my 1000.

I run My 1k withing 12 inches...But I have cool tubes...what type of light is yours?..open or cool? those Colosseum grow useually hang the light vertical in center....Happy growing

:48:

4u2sm0ke said:
I run My 1k withing 12 inches...Happy growing

:48:

In a 4x4 area? So is the furthest corner of your garden more than 36" from the light? (36" approx where 1000w=5000 lumens)

And I know about colosseum hanging lights in the middle, my vertical grow would just look more like stairs than the store bought one. This is how it was described to me by person reccomened it

I keep my canopy top around 10"-12" from my 1000watt hps (parabolic reflector) with passive intakes and exhaust.

I think that you are trying to compare apples and oranges. The amount of floor space a light will cover is different than the distance a plant should be away from the canopy. Saying that a 1000W light will cover a space 4 x 4 does not mean that the light only spreads 4'. I have a 1000W light in a room that is 3 x 6.5 and I have good light at the ends of the closet.

However, as a side note, I never keep my 1000W 36" away, either. I have an air cooled hood and can keep as close as a foot.

That's exactly what I'm trying to understand better so I can explain it better.

You have good lighting at end of closet but is the growth the same
Two cloned plants grow the same at different lengths from light?
One plant being in the reccomened 4x4 area as the one that is a foot or two further away?

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=119313&d=1245698066

If this light was hanging vertically 3 ft away there is a lot less light, I'm trying to fight this setup (colosseum DIY for lack of better term)
As I've tried to say it would look closer to stairs and the third row of plants would be about 3 ft away from the light which you all agree is to far.

I tend to move my plants around within the grow space, so no plant spends its entire life in the same spot.

Of course, though, the plants closest to the light are going to have the most light and if not moved around, the plants at the ends of the room may show some difference in growth, but I just don't think that it is going to be significant. In some ways, you are going to have the same type problems with a colosseum set-up. Some plants are going to be as close as you can get to the lights. The upper tiers are going to have to be backed off to not shade the lower levels.

I think that you are worrying about something that really doesn't matter that much. We are not saying that 3' is too far away. We are saying that you should keep the lights as close as you can to the canopy to make the best use of your light. In addition, when you have a long bulb and a good reflector, the light is not 3' away, even at the ends of a 6' room.

This is why I run a 600 and a 400 so I can get better coverage. jmo

Hamster Lewis said:
This is why I run a 600 and a 400 so I can get better coverage. jmo

:yeahthat:

I'm with you there hammy. I'm 2 600's.
I like the coverage.
I've always wondered if running dual arc bulbs would be even better lol.
LH.

LEFTHAND said:
:yeahthat:

I'm with you there hammy. I'm 2 600's.
I like the coverage.
I've always wondered if running dual arc bulbs would be even better lol.
LH.

I wish I had two 600's but I bought the 400 before I knew better. :)

I did have 2 600W in there, but one of the ballasts died, so the 1000W is back in there. However, I have to say that I don't really think that I benefited that much in that space from running 2 600W rather than a single 1000W.

Ok I think I understand better thanks all.
I guess I was looking for more reasons not to do colosseum style because I see a lot of work everyday spinning and moving plants
Versus
Having the light above and less daily work ;)

I looked at a colosseum style a number of years ago and discarded it for several reasons. I just didn't see any real advantage to it and, like you said, a lot more work.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I did have 2 600W in there, but one of the ballasts died, so the 1000W is back in there. However, I have to say that I don't really think that I benefited that much in that space from running 2 600W rather than a single 1000W.

I must ask then due to I've never ran a 1k lamp.
140-145k Lu vs 2 (600's) at 180-190k Lu together.

Light penetration is less on 600's but you can also get it a lot closer.
So I guess my question is with the extra Lu in total and able to get it closer to the plants means fark all.

N you get the same if not better from a single 1k in a 4x4 space??
LH.

buy 2 heap 600 dimmables one breaks u still have light u buy a 1k u farkd if ballast goes QQ

Personally when it comes to lights NG
I've learnt my lesson on buying china cheap crap.
Nothing worse then having it fail in the middle of a gro.
LH.

i was talking with drawoh other day, said he uses 10" fan with 8" cool tube and the plants can touch it without burning. i know its overkill but if you have the cash to go big, why not.

brimck325 said:
i was talking with drawoh other day, said he uses 10" fan with 8" cool tube and the plants can touch it without burning. i know its overkill but if you have the cash to go big, why not.

Yes I can see that. You can achieve better suction or less drag if you were to use 8" ducting with a 6" fan.
I wouldn't even beable to get 8" insulated ducting through my sj tent.
But in a fixed room that is what I would recommend.
LH

LH, I can get my 1000W as close as I can get the 600s. I guess that there could have been other factors, but I did expect to see some kind of something with more light--bigger buds, more buds, firmer buds, but didn't really notice a significant difference. I think I have a 145,000 lumen bulb in the 1000W, so I have around 7500 lumens per sq ft. I just guess that my plants are happy with that.

Latest posts

Back