need info on DWC

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skullcandy

Reaction score
hello I am going to glue some air hose to the bottom of the buket what would hold it there can i use regular adhesive or would a glue gun work best ? is there any special glue that works best remember the hose will bw submerged for like 5 months .:cool:

thanks ozzdiodude i am gonna see if i can make it work

I found the buckets to hard to clean when I glued my air stones down.

Absolutely as Duck mentioned. The BEST bet you have is to buy a quality air stone. The quality ones stay at the bottom of the buckets AND produce better bubbled longer. If you wanted to go the cheap route, you could get something like this (I have these) hXXp://www.ebay.com/itm/Active-aqua-Air-Stone-Cylinder-Large-4-Pack-Free-priority-mail-shipping-/141119523962?pt=US_Hydroponics&hash=item20db610c7a
Just about the best stone you can get, will surely cost you a pretty penny, but will out bubble and out last any other stone on the market. Micro Pore Stone made for hydroponics basically. The single version is the cheapest, coming in at $15.00, but the best bang for the buck, in my opinion, are the Double's which come in at $29.00. Here's a link to a double, but with this new info you'd be able to search for the single, or even BIGGER than double.. all depending on your wallet and understanding of air stones. hXXp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/micropore-air-diffuser-double-p-1679.html

Next time I can afford it, I'm going to be investing into a BUNCH of the doubles! For now, I enjoy buying the Active Aqua air cylinders as I've tried many air stones until I was pointed their direction. I just get SO sick of my dang stone rolling around or floating around!

Hope this helps, but as PCDuck said, I wouldn't clue anything into your buckets as it makes it much harder to maintain and clean. In general, it seems like your only purpose to do that is to hold the stone down?

Take care and stay green

I'm with duck--I don't glue anything into my DWC buckets/totes. You can buy small suction cups that will hold your air line down and they are very inexpensive. Most pet stores will carry them for aquariums, but here is an e-bay link. Make sure whatever you buy is the correct size for the tubing you plan on using.

hXXp://www.ebay.com/itm/K1BO-10X-Aquarium-Sucker-Suction-Cup-for-4-6mm-Air-Line-Pipe-Tube-Wire-Holder-/261280928604?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd58e935c

I used to use suction cups to keep my airstones in place until I found some good heavy ones for around $5 a piece from petco or pet zoo, one of the two. they're about 5-6" long and an inch or so in diameter. they're on their second grow and still bubbling strong. You'll want to keep an eye on them to make sure they keep bubbling. had some clog on me a few grows ago and didn't notice til harvest. needless to say, not so good harvest.
Also you'll want to rotate the lid/plants to try and keep the roots from getting tangled around the air hose. makes it a pain to clean/change buckets in mid-grow.

i tried the stones they all clogged even the line ones so i thought useing a n air line with holes all over it would work a bit better peroblem it floats so i think a dab in a few places will hold it down and allow me too clean still i hope either way thats the plan .

get some of the toxic free fishing sinkers and tie them to the airline

You didn't purchase the proper air stones. If you tried any of the stones I had mentioned, you wouldn't have issues. :aok:

Gluing that line down, will make it impossible to clean under it, and contaminants / algae with build up in the cracks under the line that you can't access. I just think using only the air line isn't a quality way out, but who knows. It could be the best thing since bubble gum.

Good luck on your ventures! :D

i had that whole floating issue, went with what ozzy said, well a combo of zip tying the stones together at their bases and adding weights to the tied up stones. i do agree with alot of people here, any kinda glueing down will make your life harder down the road with cleaning, they are right, if you glue things down your creating nooks and crannies for algie and other bad things to grow, also makes it very hard to compleatly clean the buckets without having to use an old toothbrush or something to clean them nooks. your better off getting some QUALITY air stones, cheap ones ate lite and have virtually no weight, if you get a good quality stone it will hold its self down by its own weight. remember growing MJ as well as many other things, you get what you put into it, buy cheap garbage and youll get garbage out, buy quality gear and youll get quality results. it is an investment, but a very fun investment worth every penny spent.

skullcandy said:
i tried the stones they all clogged even the line ones so i thought useing a n air line with holes all over it would work a bit better peroblem it floats so i think a dab in a few places will hold it down and allow me too clean still i hope either way thats the plan .

No--if that worked none of us would buy air stones. The size bubbles is important. Holes in an airline is not going to produce the micro bubbles that you need for hydro. Don't glue the lines down.

ozzydiodude said:
get some of the toxic free fishing sinkers and tie them to the airline
If you can't find sinkers you can use stainless steel nuts. Pick whatever size you need.

I just bought some aquarium suction cups like these. Cheap enough, so will see how they work. Currently, I just let the hose kick around in the buckets.

hxxp://www.ebay.com/itm/10X-Aquarium-Sucker-Suction-Cup-for-4-6mm-Air-Line-Pipe-Tube-Wire-Holder-T1K-/360689148268?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53fabfa16c

Those should work good as long as they stay stuck. They should get a good seal though being under water.

Latest posts

Back