Need PH help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrPuffAlot

Green thumb in training
Reaction score
I bought an aquarium PH tester.

my tap water has high PH.7.+

I heavly watered my plants today after 4days and the drained water PH tested high,
like the Tap water.

Now what do I do??

Is there an organic way to LOWER PH in the water??

or do I have to buy chemical PH UP DOWN solutions to fix this issue??

I prefer to go organic and home made stuff, if i could.

Thanks.. :fid:

Let me try to understand this.

LOW PH means water/soil = getting ACIDIC

HIGH PH means ???? Alkaline?? what does alkaline mean??

I know the ideal level of PH is 6.8 or so..
im curious, whats more advantageous to the plant??
Lower Acidic? or higher PH?

"Most neutral mediums can use a little vinegar to make them just this side of 7 ph to 6.5 or so."

What do they mean by neutral? and how much is a "little Vinegar"

in a normal soil grow..

as you grow, what is the tendency of the PH??
To go down or up??

PH is very important. I believe that the correct ph for soil is 6.8 and for hydro its 5.8 (correct me someone if i am wrong).
Different minerals are available for uptake into the plant at different PH ranges. (There is a chart around here somewhere).
The ph's stated above are where the nutrients and minerals needed by your plants are at the best for uptake into the plant... ie faster feeding and growing.

organic ways to lower ph include lemon juice....and vinegar . a little goes a LONG way..

Mr.Wakenbake said:
organic ways to lower ph include lemon juice....and vinegar . a little goes a LONG way..

Thank you mr wakenbake, my long lost twin :D

When you say lemon juice.. i assume you mean fresh squeezed lemon
and not the concentrated lemons juice you get in the little bottles.

when people say " LITTLE" its so vague.. What is little?
Teaspoon a gallon? Table spoon a gallon??

Or is it applied directly into the soil?? But whats a little??

thanks in advance..:hairpull:

oh i forgot to ask..

WHAT KIND OF VINERGAR??

There are so many different types.

Regular white? apple cider? any particular type is better to use ?

you can also buy organic pH up and down. Earth Juice makes one.

What is little
I use the concentrate at 1 mil per gal.i
m curious, whats more advantageous to the plant??
Lower Acidic? or higher PH?
From Ed Rosenthal- Ideally
the range should be about 6. 2-6.8. From the cannabis bible-Cannabis plants in soil like a pH of 7. From the joys of an herb garden-6.7-6.2 is best to
ensure there is no nutrient lock-up occurring. From the mj growers guide-Marijuana grows in soils with a pH range from 5 to 8.5. As you can see they are all different. To be safe i'd try to shoot for 6.4.

I have used the Earth Juice stuff... its good, but, be careful with the amounts that u use.
I ended up taking a quart container, filled with my hydro solution, and adding the ph- to this until i got it right. I then dumped the quart in with my 20 gal water and left it overnight. testing again the next day, and i was close enough that i left it.

As to the 'how much is a little'. start with a teaspoon, and wait. The vinegar, etc, will take a little time to mix with your water. I tend to say leave it an hour before retesting.

As to which one?? I use regular white vinegar. although most would work just as well.

I mean a few drops to a gallon of water. Whether its vinegar, lemon juice w/e... start low and easy and don't over do it.

You can use either apple cider vinegar or white vinegar.. i use the apple cider vinegar...
i suggest dropping in a few drops and then checking the PH if its not right then put a few more in. There is NO specific measurement to use. Becuase it all depends on what the PH is when you start.

6.3-6.7 is optimal but a plant an be happy anywhere between 6.2-7.0..although you could get lockout below 6.3 or above 6.7-6.8....don't try to hit the nail on the head with your soil ph... get it in an optimal range and then when you feed or water make sure you pH the water to a more exact range.Trying to get your soil PH perfect is futile man...

wow...

i got some vinegar and a bought one of those measuring sirenges.
I put 1/2 teaspoon and about 1/2 gallon of water.

I tested the water before (7.+PH)
Then tested after the 1/2 teaspoon of Vinegar.
The water tested 6.0 or less. Amazing how well it worked.

I poured it out and added more tap, to make the water @about 6.5.

I want to thank you all for the help. Simple sheet like this can make
or break your grow.

Next question: should I adjust my waters PH before or after adding NUTES?
and will Vinegar mess up the NUTES??

should I adjust my waters PH before or after adding NUTES?
AFTER...nutes usually lower ph, especially bloom nutes.
will Vinegar mess up the NUTES??
I'm not sure but I would think not, lemon juice doesn't.

Ok continue on this thread about PH..

Say one day my PH is too LOW..

Whats the organic way to PH UP...

bombbudpuffa said:

interesting.

would of never guess that one..

Figure Limes would be acidic like a lemon.

Lemon/Lime like Ying and Yang..

Now I know the organic ways to move the PH..
Thanks again.

and i'll be sure to pass on the knowledge when ever i can.. :woohoo:

Figure Limes would be acidic like a lemon.
I meant garden lime...lol:D. Do a search for garden lime and you'll see what I mean.

"Garden lime/horticultural/dolomite" ...lime,..as in limestone. Works as a "buffer" or stabilizer. It will strive to get your soil to a neutral 7.0..either up or down...it provides desirable magnesium, too. BUT..it should be mixed into the medium prior to planting, for the best results.

Latest posts

Back