need some advice on a cheap, yet high output home grow system...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chal7ds

Hey,

I'm new to indoor growing, and I'm looking to get an indoor hydroponic unit which is fairly cheap (my budget: $300) but I am also at the same time looking to get high output if possible (say 1 lbs to 2 lbs) is this realistic?

Please, I need some good tips and advice on where to start and what you think my best options are for my budget and what I can cultivate. thanks in advance for your help..

chal7ds

"Human beings, vegetables, or comic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible player. " -A.E.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i would say buy a 400w hps or a 600w off ebay......
Then buy your hydro stuff.
Or buy a 1000w hps light, and grow soil.......that way you can have amazing results with the 1000w hps, and not spend money on hydro.

imho

how big is your growroom? Hydro can be tricky for a first grow, but can be done, just a litlle harder than soil.

Building the unit or premade...cause that 300.00 would be more realistic if you build. htgsupply.com has some nice deals on lights. Whatever you do DON'T buy one of those totes I beg you...it's a waste. Also what kind of hydro? DWC? Ebb n Flow? Aero? Or doesn't matter?

My grow room is a decent sized closet. It's about 7' X 5' X 10'H. As far as the 'type' of hydro, I want something that is 'less mess'. so whatever you would give advice on that would make the least amount of mess, the more convenient to put together. I still need to read up on the types.

Some great suggestions. I like the ebay idea, cause I could probably save a lot of money that way. I also didn't even think about building. that would really save me some money.

It's sounding like the investment really needs to be focused on the light from the posts so far. I guess that's where most of my quality should lie eh? Soil can be soil out of my backyard, or no?

chal7ds

"Human beings, vegetables, or comic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible player. " -A.E.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chal7ds, not sure if your banner is allowed on this site, could be considered spam. i dont care, just giving ya a heads up...and i believe thats in the forum rules also. keep it green.

A pound or two might be a bit much for a first timer. Just being honest. I would also see if there is something premade you like, if so find some pdf instructions for it online, this is usually good for a DIY job, you build after reading the diagrams and what not. Nice size area too, maybe some nice low cost DWC, all you would need is some 5 gallon containers (ie. paint buckets) a lid and an airstone/pump. It's not too messy but a bit cumbersome. Also flood tables are nice for an area like yours. One res., and pretty cheap.

After you dabble, the first grow or two you should have a better understanding and idea of what you want and then go for the 1 to 2 lbs., it's gonna be tough for your first time, a pound maybe but just keep plugging away and see what commercial products might float your boat, also start reading and then read some more.

Also if you would like I am available to help through PM, I just don't want to see someone else throw money away.

If I had the money, I'd get something like this:

http://www.4hydroponics.com/grow_room/bcblm.asp

the reason being, is I don't like the idea of having my plants being visible. Yeah, it's in a closet, but friends come over, etc. and I want my grow room to be personally private (maybe only my close buds knowing about it)

If I build my own, like with these pdf docs you are referring to, u think there's one I could build that could be a closed box, or am I shooting for too much here with the budget I have?

airstone pump goes for? $?

chal7ds

youll need about 2000.00. for a pound or more your gonna need a pretty much maxed out 4 by 4 area with two 600 watt sodiums for fflowering. this will give you the lumens you need to achieve an elbow or more. or you can do a 4 by 8 grow with the two lamps each covering a 4 by 4 area with about 16 plants under each. the lights are about 300.00 alone. then exhausting the lights so you can grow at optimum light level. that will be another 300.00. so thats 1000.00 for lights and exhaust. how about a hydro system? http://www.hydroponics.net/i/290040 this is a 36 site 4 by 4 basically. exhausting the lights is most important.

hydro.jpg

start with soil dude...i learned the hard way. it's cheaper and easier. spend your money on lights & exhaust then move up later if you feel the need.

i read a rule somewhere for growers K.I.S.S lol keep it simple stupid works best not to complicate things anymore than they already are so yea :yeahthat:

Latest posts

Back