Need to ask a few questions before I begin

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello to all members @ MP.

Before I begin I need to bounce a few things off of the members here.

The room is descent, fairly small, but perfect for a couple 2 footer's and one monster......I am well aware of the issues that could arise, and the solutions for it.

The dimentions of the shed are as follows; 5'8" (L) x 5'8" (W) x 7' (H)

I have read up plenty on the various growing techniques, I believe for me soil is the way to go.....either FoxFarm or Ocean Forest.....then add hydroton to approximately 1/3rd of the pot.......I would like to have couple dozen earthworms spread throughout the plants.

The setup for the room will have a few fluro fixtures (about 2 coolwhite/warmwhite bulbs on either side, depending on what stage).....I also want to purchase 1 1000 HPS (not sure if it is too high wattage for the area???)....

The only kink in the armor thusfar is Co2, there is not a chance I could afford a Co2 tank....I figure I could purchase a couple box fans to circulate the air, and suck it out of the room.....down the road, I know could buy a squirrel cage fan to aid with circulation (for flowering). For right now I want to use a couple 5 gal. bucket (with a 2 muffins fans) and ONA expandable crystals for odor control....

Like I said, would there be enough air moving through that area just by opening the door and letting the fans do the job???

When I can afford it, I would like to purchase one of those 8-site(s) Waterfarms when I get good lol

Any advice is greatly apprietiated
icon7.gif
icon14.gif

Buddy

"The setup for the room will have a few fluro fixtures (about 2 coolwhite/warmwhite bulbs on either side, depending on what stage).....I also want to purchase 1 1000 HPS (not sure if it is too high wattage for the area???)"

More lumens is better in my oppinion. Be aware thought that 1000 watts pumps out allot of heat thus ...

If there is fresh air coming in from the "outside" preferably the outdoors, then you will get enough oxygen to grow plants. Co2 systems are not necessary and i believe should not be used by newer farmers In my opinion. Don't over complicate things to start off. there's plenty of time to adjust and add more equipment as needed.

So to reiterate and add a little ... Have a fresh air intake into your enclosure (your grow area), and if you can, blow stale air out threw and exhaust system if possible. To kill the smell use a carbon air filter (air scrubber) to clean the air before it goes out of the enclosure (if going out of the house/appartment especially).

Actually, 1000W is inadequate for a room that size--about 32 sq ft. You should have 50W per sq ft for flowering or 1600W in your case.

You will need more ventilation and most likely some kind of cooling device--an AC or swamp cooler. You should probably consider an air cooled light also. You need fresh air coming in and hot air going out--how much depends on how hot it gets. If you can exchange the air in the room often enough, you do not need supplemental CO2. Using CO2 complicates the ventilation process.

That HPS puts out 140K lumes wich will cover (@5k Lumes Foot) 28 SF..If you are going to purchase may I suggest 2 @ 600 HPS..also invest in a cfm exhaust fan..with those HPS Heat will be an issue..I run a 1000 HPS in flower and 2 @ 400 HD in VEG have 6" intake at lower of shed and cfm exhaust at the top exit of shed...Mine goes outside so Im not worried about smell..I like it..LOL..fox far and ocean forest are the same my friend...I dont use co2 and would say to start just get your system and grow area down first..trust me you will have issues and will want to work out kinx but w applaud you on doing research first...and will look for a Grow Journal from you in the near future...also have you thaught about a flower room? or do you plan to use same room and the flip lights?..I took my 8x6x9 (shed ) Grow area and made 2 @ 4x6x9..and now have flower and veg rooms..but did start wth one room..well seems my .2 turned into a $1.25..Welcome to MP my friend..and good luck on your endevor

The Hemp Goddess said:
Actually, 1000W is inadequate for a room that size--about 32 sq ft. You should have 50W per sq ft for flowering or 1600W in your case.

You will need more ventilation and most likely some kind of cooling device--an AC or swamp cooler. You should probably consider an air cooled light also. You need fresh air coming in and hot air going out--how much depends on how hot it gets. If you can exchange the air in the room often enough, you do not need supplemental CO2. Using CO2 complicates the ventilation process.

Sorry THG, I am abit foggy :joint: lol.....please can you tell me what a "swamp cooler" is???......whoooooooooa:cool: ;) :headbang2:

Thanks everyone for your replies,

*Rock On*:headbang2:

BW

buddy williams i has a cuzz that made like a hidden doors to half of his shed which was a growroom... he had it very well built and secured with a couple master locks.. anways he had a hps 400 hp and a crappy window ac unit that was the only give away but he had pefect temps and humidity was pretty low..

Buddy_Williams said:
Sorry THG, I am abit foggy :joint: lol.....please can you tell me what a "swamp cooler" is???......whoooooooooa:cool: ;) :headbang2:

Thanks everyone for your replies,

*Rock On*:headbang2:

BW

LOL...A swamp cooler is an evaporative cooler used in arid climates. It uses water to help cool the air. Its cooling ability is limited and it is only effective in dry climates, however it costs a fraction of what an A/C costs to run.

howdy Buddy, i got a squirrel fan, make sure noise is not an issue(trust me on this one!) as squirrel fans are efficiant but noissssy! a swamp cooler with shoot your humidity through the roof if not extremely vented. my room is the same size as yours and i gave up on swamp cooler after 2 days of tryin to keep humidity down.

Your room is actually, too big for a few florescent lights, rule of thumb is shedding 1000 to 3000 lumens for one square foot. Even 1000wat HPS will not help you with this room. My suggestion is to build up a closet or similar grow area within your grow room.

For aeration, if you have adequate light, you may not need intake and exhaust fans though if you build a smaller space within your grow room then you'll definitely need an exhaust and an intake fan.

CO2 tank is not a must be in a grow room and if you have killer lights -more than 3000 lumens per square foot in right spectrum- you will find extra CO2 very helpful but you do not need it, it is not a vital need such as good lights or good aeration.

I would recommend a smaller grow space and 2000 lumens per square foot for beginning as well as good air circulation. You may even add a fan inside the grow space in order to have more circulation other than the intake and exhaust.

Good luck.

lyfr said:
howdy Buddy, i got a squirrel fan, make sure noise is not an issue(trust me on this one!) as squirrel fans are efficiant but noissssy! a swamp cooler with shoot your humidity through the roof if not extremely vented. my room is the same size as yours and i gave up on swamp cooler after 2 days of tryin to keep humidity down.

Yeah, that is why I said it is for arid climates. Those of us that use swamp coolers usually do because we need the humidity. I live in a place with really low RH. I have to use a humidifier during the winter months when I do not use the swamp cooler.

i would say build a frame inside ur shed and if your doing in soil like me you could easily do a 1m sq tray!(600w hps will cover 1.2m sq) in that you have 9 1ft sq pots! so 9 plants this way you get 4 oz + dry each plant! (how you gonna vent it? you say open the door??? youneed carbon filter+intake to maximize buds )also co2tank in my opinion is not worth the money!!!

, rule of thumb is shedding 1000 to 3000 lumens for one square foot.

"3000(minimum) to 5000 Lumen per sq.ft. is the "rule of thumb" that I have always heard, read, been quoted by grow guides and the gurus of ganja. 1000-3000 "might" nurse you through veg', but expect excess stretching and poor growth.

inline fans are much quieter than squirrel cage. also buy a bigger fan than you need and put it on a dimmer so you can run it at a lower setting. you can find the sound and vibration level that works for you. hang it from rubber to absorb vibration also.

also, i would maybe consider a false wall and dead space to vent your window a/c into so you don't have a suspiciaous a/c unit running all day into a "tool shed". then vent the dead space to the outside with a smaller scrubber.

If your in town or in a a suburban environment, i would stick to growin indoors. then you have a somewhat consistent temp environment and much more inconspicuous. free up a closet.

peace

Latest posts

Back