new here, heres my first grow..

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hemp Goddess said:
We don't mean to hurt your feelings, but there are simply certain things you need to grow pot and adequate lighting is one of them. Most people who do not have $150-500 to invest in proper equipment do not grow (actually most of us have spent thousands rather than hundreds. It is kind of like saying you want to build a street racer, but all you have is a lawnmower engine and some wheels off an old wheelbarrow--it is just not going to cut it.
Could not have said it better myself. .

Your for sure a lucky person to be holding that good looking of a plant and only have 2 CFL bulbs on it. You could spend a few bucks on a small CFL setup and get your moneys worth for sure. Of course your better off with a HPS light but we all have to start somewhere. But seriously your plant is gonna get pretty big. You have alot of good secondary growth at those nodes and those branches will shoot out alot. Tie her down good and utilize space and reflect all your light and work from there.

I added two more decent cfls to each side, i have the top two connected via a socket splitter, and i plan on getting some better reflective material soon.

She is already looking bushier.

Which HPS light setup would you recommend for a new grower?

HPS setup should mainly depend on your space. Also you have to figure in the electric cost for the light and heat it can produce. If you are growing a single plant and have plans maybe to add a couple more I would go with a 400watt. Those are hardly over a bill for the setup. But you have to measure the space you want to grow in and make some walls made from a material that will not catch fire. Make sure its white or mylar so it can reflect and your good. Watering and nutes are something you will learn with experiance.

I think right now i'm just going to concentrate on just this one girl, for now.

If it becomes a complete failure, i will just chalk it up as a learning experience.

Hey Phrankie glad to here your not giving up. But man I'll tell ya unless you can afford the stuff for growing indoors or your very good at making your own things, this hobby does and will get expensive. I run just a small closet setup and with my soils, nutes, lights 400watt HPS, CFL's and florus , intake and exhaust fans, oscilating fan, PH meter, PH down and up, timers, power strips, containers to grow in, scrubber, and the other odds and ends that I use, I'm sure I have well over $600 in it if not more and that does'nt include electric bill. Now grant it some of these items are longer term investments, but items will need to be replaced once in a while like bulbs that go bad or if a fan dies ect.. My suggestion to you or any one new to indoor growing is to build your room and have all the supply's you need before you even drop you 1st seeds. Test run your room for a few days to work all the bugs out incase you need to change something. Get it dialed in 1st, then do your homework on the growing details you'll need and your 1st grow and every grow after that will be top notch instead of "If it becomes a complete failure, i will just chalk it up as a learning experience". Why not grow weed right the 1st time and every time there after. But as I stated above glad to see your not giving up as most people do, it's something that takes time, money, knowledge and most importantly patience. Good luck on your endevours...take care..

Keep growing with what you got when you got it... You can still learn and have some bud even if conditions aren't optimal. If you're in a metro area check craigslist for fluorescent T5 lights when you have a few extra dollars and are set on diapers for the baby for a while.:p

You have a nice little Indica dominant strain going there. Don't worry about the lower leaves. I'd let it grow au naturale and get a bit more established but before long you can trim off the bottom 2-4 branches and leaves to create some space for air movement across your growing medium. If you see evidence of things getting yellow on more leaves it's time for a good grow (as opposed to bloom) nutrient with a predominant amount of nitrogen in it like a 3-2-1 fertilizer.

Rock on!:cool:

Phrankie said:
I added two more decent cfls to each side, i have the top two connected via a socket splitter, and i plan on getting some better reflective material soon.

She is already looking bushier.

Which HPS light setup would you recommend for a new grower?

Since your funds are short, go with a small watt HPS set-up. The HPS will work for vegging, particularly in tandem with your flouros, and will give you stellar results in flowering. HTG Supply generally has some smaller watt kits on special. Good luck and hang in there--if you only get 1 bowl from your baby, it'll be your bowlfull.

Latest posts

Back