New lites wiped out the cable TV !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwanabud

Hiding in a tree
Reaction score
Just put in 6 new QUANTUM DIGITAL BALLAST...600w. The cable company showed up, seems the hi RF has caused "noise" on the neighborhood line...no ones TV is working, and the "Cable Guy" knows it's me :)

Any ideas on how to filter or shield the problem ? Anybody else ever had this happen ?

put your ballasts as far from the cable in your house as possible

Ozzie, can the RF be beat ? Or just 20 feet away or so, will minimize the effects ?

It appears that this shouldn't be happening with the new type units, but the man beating on my door ain't cool at all.

there was a thread that was lost that had the info hopefully one of the main posters in it will chime in. Check all connection in your place to make sure they are tight

You dont even want to know my story, I had the cable guys on me for 6 monthts, i wouldnt let them in so they filtered me so i couldnt get "on demand services" it prevented me from broadcasting interference, LOL, they could pin point me easily and could prove it too me, eventually i cut the cable at the entry point to my house that led closest to my grow room and they went away. it got real interesting for awhile having cable guys at my door wanting in and me telling them to kiss my axe and slaming the door.

Thanks guys, that's where I'm at too...if I don't let them in, they're going to cut my cable all together....the little lady is pissed ! If she can't watch "Biggest Loser" & "Ghost Whisperer" I'm in biiiig trouble.

There has to be a way to shield it, these are new lights...should have shielded wire & ballast cannisters ? I'm doing the AM radio test...it's blowing it out with white noise :(

I was doing a little reading anmd a couple sites said that you should check and make sure your ballasts are grounded right.

Ozzy, yep grounded correctly. All the electric is a-ok, done by a pro.

The RF is wiping out the 4 neighbors...they aren't happy, just don't know it's me causing the problem....yet :)

It happened to me. Basically you have a cheap ballast. Either return the ballasts for a quality one, or cut the cable service.

*I don't pay for TV, I pay for Internet. I download every single show, ever; from thepiratebay.

OGKushman said:
It happened to me. Basically you have a cheap ballast. Either return the ballasts for a quality one, or cut the cable service.

*I don't pay for TV, I pay for Internet. I download every single show, ever; from thepiratebay.

Hmmmm, I ordered them from a big online store...they told me the QUANTUM DIGITAL BALLAST were good ones ? :holysheep:

for me it was the cable, wich is the same company for the phone and the internet, can you say monopoly, they could tell me the moment my lights came on and went off.

bwanabud said:
Hmmmm, I ordered them from a big online store...they told me the QUANTUM DIGITAL BALLAST were good ones ? :holysheep:

I think I remember reading that the first few generations of digitals could cause interference. All of the old crappy ones should have been sold or replaced by now. I bet you got the dusty boxes on the back of the shelf at the warehouse.

Maybe try calling the manufacturer and discuss it with them. They may be able to tell by the serial number if the units are the old outdated ones.

If that doesnt work call the store you got them from. That issue has to be taken care of if you want cable and dont want cable guys around all the time.....

Might I recommend the old coil ballasts? I was all about the digis for a while. I have bought 4 600W digis, one died a month after I bought it. Now I have stepped up to 1000W ballasts. I get the cheapest one my hydro shop carries. Its like $120, switchable, and a 2 year warranty. They are a little loud and a little hot but its out in my garage so I dont care. I think the old style are more reliable.

my bedroom tv does this...
IMG_20120224_085936.pngIMG_20120224_085945.png

the wiring is older or something, its the only one that has issues. the wires are not shielded properly or something. only happens when both ballasts are running. some channels work, some are complete lost, some are partial lost

terky said:
I think I remember reading that the first few generations of digitals could cause interference. All of the old crappy ones should have been sold or replaced by now. I bet you got the dusty boxes on the back of the shelf at the warehouse.

Maybe try calling the manufacturer and discuss it with them. They may be able to tell by the serial number if the units are the old outdated ones.

If that doesnt work call the store you got them from. That issue has to be taken care of if you want cable and dont want cable guys around all the time.....

Might I recommend the old coil ballasts? I was all about the digis for a while. I have bought 4 600W digis, one died a month after I bought it. Now I have stepped up to 1000W ballasts. I get the cheapest one my hydro shop carries. Its like $120, switchable, and a 2 year warranty. They are a little loud and a little hot but its out in my garage so I dont care. I think the old style are more reliable.

These are brand spanking new...I'll check the serial #"s tho.

I would try each one out seperately and see if you can narrow it down to one bad one. I've had a simular problem with flo lighting

Growdude said:
Another reason to use "good ol" magenetic ballasts.

omg growdude, I was reading through this and was just about to make my smarmy "Good thing I run my ancient mag-ballasts" comment:rofl:

Growdude said:
Another reason to use "good ol" magenetic ballasts.

i didnt get the issue with my digy only when the magnetic is running too i get interferance. i think mine is coming from the bulb though, one of my hoods is like 2 ft away from the wire going to that room.

and yes its satilite... im only effecting myself lol

Latest posts

Back