New one here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musiclover

Reaction score
Hello, I'm new to MP and look forward to meeting others on here and learning from them.

I'm looking into starting my own little "garden" and could use the help and will be on here to listen and learn. (I'm the youngest of 4 and I always listened to my older brother and sisters and learned from their mistakes :) )

I had gotten the montreal-seedbank.ca website from a marijuana magazine and looked/researched on there and thought this was going to be pretty easy...

As for my "garden"... I guess I was a little overenthusiastic and decided on a whim the other day (Sunday after going on the m-s.ca website) to take 6 of my seeds and put them in some damp paper towel. I then put the paper towel in a baggie and puffed it up (kindof like a greenhouse) and put it in my windowsill. I can't tell you how excited I was yesterday to see that one of my seeds had sprouted!!! (A second one today) I was totally keyed up! (My seeds are all sooooo old (and I thought dry) that I really didn't expect any of them to sprout.) So I called my hubby to get me some potting soil (he picked up Miracle Grow) and I had some pots, etc... BUT, now that I've been doing some more research... I'm now wondering if I've screwed up. I really want my "babies" to live and grow (plus I don't have anything to enjoy right now except twigs and dust) -

so... I guess I'm just hoping that maybe some of you can give me hope that all is not lost. Till then... I'll keep on researching and babying my two little possibilities.

Thanks, ML

Have you already planted them in the soil? If not than try to get somethin different than the miracle grow. And what type of area are you plannin on havin them in?

Welcome to MP....I hope it was not regular Miracle Grow...I hve used the MG formula for seedlings but not regular MG...it has too much built in nutrients and fertilizer...it will cook most seedlings.

Hey! :) Thanks for the quick replys... yeah it was Miracle Grow potting mix and yeah... I've already planted my two little seedlings... I had planted the one seedling yesterday (after my hubby got the soil home) and then today I noticed spider mites! (I was NOT happy!) - so then I took the rest of the soil from the bag and cooked it in my oven at 250 degrees for over an hour (some serious stink there) - then I took my little seedling out and cleaned and rinsed it off real good and then replanted it. Then I took the second one and planted it in the "newly" cooked soil. Would it be too late to get some different soil and re-plant them tomorrow?

Like I said... this kindof went at a whirl-wind romance pace and now I just want it to work out, lol. I don't have that many seeds to keep doing this from and I'm kinda paranoid about buying them and having them mailed to my home... (I figure that isn't any more legal than buying the stuff outright. Is that a right assumption?)

What type of area? Do you mean where am I going to grow them? I live in northeastern MN so... we are into fall here. I planned to put the plants outside during the day when the weather permits and then in the house the rest of the time. I need to pick up a light (which will be this weekend.) I know, ahhhhh such a newby, right? lol Like I said... I checked out that montreal-seedbank site and thought to myself... o.k. how hard can this be, right?! Put seeds in a damp paper towel (check), put in baggie and make into a little greenhouse (check), once they just sprout put into soil (check)... I thought the Miracle Grow would be a great option because it's got all the "good stuff" in it. bummer

My hubby just walked by laughing and said to me "wouldn't it just be easier to buy it?" LOL ... funny, funny! Yeah, I'll just go to the corner store and ask for a dime bag! lol We live in an extremely small town and I'm not from around here so I don't know who knows who so... yeah a little to dangerous to be askin' around for that.

ML

Ok so if you can pick up some other type of soil than that would be best. I'm not quite sure but I don't recommend moving them outside and than back inside. It would be best to get the light and keep them under it for 24 hrs a day. What type of light are ya lookin at gettin?

lol my first plant was in miracle grow for abut a month...nothing majorly bad happened..the sky didnt fall. things will be fine. just dont give it nutes!!! when you do transplant put it into better soil like fox farms or roots. good luck!!

Hamster: I just read some of your 1st grow and I feel so not prepared! How long did you research and prepare b4 your first grow?

You know what is funny... pot has also always been known as weed. Well... **** my garden is full of weeds and I didn't have to do a damn thing to get them to grow. It just seems so funny that there is sooooo much more to this than I could have imagined! I need to do some serious reading!

ML

p.s. Your little plants sure looked cute! I'll hold out hope for mine.

Maverick - thanks - I'll keep them in then (I just thought the full sunlight during the day would've been a good thing.) On that montreal-seedbank website - they mentioned Gro-Lux lights and blue flourescent light. Well... they mention quite a bit of information. On how different light spectrums will give you different results i.e. a higher red spectrum will lead to more of stem growth and the blue will give more of a foliage growth. They also had a book that they are selling for growing that I thought about buying. Has anyone even heard of the montreal-seedbank.ca website? Or checked it out?

ML

2Dog - thanks for the reassurance. I will go and get some better dirt - whether my two little seedlings live or not. Some how or another I will figure this out and make this work. :) ML

you will be fine! right now even a florescent light would be great...that is what mine are under..check it out..get a little tray like a cookie tray set them on it and put them under the light as close as possible without getting warm..use your hand to judge the heat. Now if you put them outside during the day if it is hot they may shrivel so watch them...dang it wont let me repost the light picture..heres my babies.

baby plants 019.jpg

2Dog - thanks :) I'll do that! Isn't it exciting having your own little plants growing! How many times have you done this b4? Had different grows? And have they all been successful? I have soooo many questions, lol.

I need to hit the sack right now, but I'll be back tomorrow. Have a good night and thanks everyone for all the replys! :) ML

I smoked my first bowl of my own grow tonight..will be harvesting the full bubblegum soon. you're right it is very exciting. have a good night and dream of your plants!

hello and welcome to mp

read threw some grow journals ,,,,ask questions and with a bit of luck 4 mths from now you will be smoking your own first harvest ,,,,nothing beats firing up a :tokie: or :bong: of your own homegrown :peace:

2Dog & UKGirl - thanks so much for all the encouragement.

I went and bought some new soil yesterday and this is what I chose:

Pro-Max, Ultimate Container Mix
components:
Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss (75-85% by volume)
Perlite
Water absorbent polymer
time-release fertilizer (which the guy said releases over months)
limestone (for pH adjustment) (sounds good)
wetting agent

It had a hints section on the bag which said it is recommended for plants requiring a growing pH between 5.5-7.0 (which on the montreal-seedbank site said pot grows best between 6.0-7.5...)

BUT! I just read... For Canada only, this product is not approved for use to grow edible plants. To grow organic vegetables and herbs (ahem), use instead Pro-Max Ultimate Organic Mix. So, I'm thinkin' I'll bring it back and see if they have the Organic Mix.

What do you guys think?

p.s. I live in a small rural area, my town has a population of 400+, and the next closer town is 4,000+. The biggest city is about an hour and 45 min. away for me. Kindof makes the just right selection hard, y'know.

Thanks all. ML

p.s. I'll go and read some more posts.

yeah, hate to be making you do all these trips.. but for future, avoid 'time release nutes' and 'pre-nuted' soils.
you want to be the one controlling the feeding, as nearing harvest you want to stop feeding nutes (or you'll taste em in your smoke).. with time release nutes, you really don't have control.

really though, you should be fine with whatever you do.. it's a plant, it wants to live.
yes if you want to grow good and to its full potential, there's a lot to learn.. but i grew some damn good dope when i was a kid with nothing more than plain dirt and miracle grow.
it will work, but it obviously works better when you learn a little more (and do a bit more planning :p )
i think you'll fare just fine.. just don't love it to death, that's a big thing for new growers is overdoing it.

best of luck to ya :)
*oh, and welcome to MP :D

kaotik, lol ("it will work, but it obviously works better when you learn a little more (and do a bit more planning lol))

yeah... I can't agree with you more there!

I seriously didn't think any of my seeds would sprout!!! But, to my happy surprise, the one did (and fairly quickly) and then a second. So, now I'm kindof scrambling to make the best of the situation.

I checked my local (little) hardware store and just a little desk lamp with full spectrum flourescent light will run me $33 plus tax. So, I'm going to highjack my hubbys shop light till I can research on here a better light and then setup.

I need to research a grow box (which I'm sure my hubby could make me.) I've read about how the plants can stink... so I need to cover that and then better dirt. *chuckling*... I always kinda thought this would be easy (I mean... it's a plant and like you said... it wants to live)... but I'm finding out different!

I guess I need to get all my ducks in a row b4 next weekend cuz we're going to the "big" city LOL and I'll need to be better prepared for what I need with regards to dirt, materials, lights, etc...

Ahhhhh, so much to learn AND how hard or easy would it be to hide a grow box from 8 and 12 year old boys?! Oh brother! (lol, pun intended)

ML

musiclover said:
Hello, I'm new to MP and look forward to meeting others on here and learning from them.

I'm looking into starting my own little "garden" and could use the help and will be on here to listen and learn. (I'm the youngest of 4 and I always listened to my older brother and sisters and learned from their mistakes :) )

I had gotten the montreal-seedbank.ca website from a marijuana magazine and looked/researched on there and thought this was going to be pretty easy...

As for my "garden"... I guess I was a little overenthusiastic and decided on a whim the other day (Sunday after going on the m-s.ca website) to take 6 of my seeds and put them in some damp paper towel. I then put the paper towel in a baggie and puffed it up (kindof like a greenhouse) and put it in my windowsill. I can't tell you how excited I was yesterday to see that one of my seeds had sprouted!!! (A second one today) I was totally keyed up! (My seeds are all sooooo old (and I thought dry) that I really didn't expect any of them to sprout.) So I called my hubby to get me some potting soil (he picked up Miracle Grow) and I had some pots, etc... BUT, now that I've been doing some more research... I'm now wondering if I've screwed up. I really want my "babies" to live and grow (plus I don't have anything to enjoy right now except twigs and dust) -

so... I guess I'm just hoping that maybe some of you can give me hope that all is not lost. Till then... I'll keep on researching and babying my two little possibilities.

Thanks, ML

Hello and welcome little siss:D ...Im here to help the best i can...i sugest ya get a grow journal going on the 2 little :baby: and then place a link in your signature..that will help bring people to your grow..I wish the best...hope to see ya around..untill then take care and be safe:bolt::bong:

Latest posts

Back