NORML Breaking News: Marijuana Legalization Bills Introduced In Massachusetts!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LowRider

Reaction score
NORML_Remember_Prohibition.jpg
California’s highly publicized effort to legalize the commercial cultivation and sale of cannabis is getting some well-deserved company!
A pair of bills — House Bill 2929 and Senate Bill 1801 — seeking to “tax and regulate the cannabis industry” have just been introduced in the Massachusetts legislature.
These proposals seek to legally regulate the commercial production and distribution of marijuana for adults over 21 years of age. Like California’s proposal, they would impose licensing requirements and excise taxes on the retail sale of cannabis. By some estimates, these taxes could raise nearly $100 million in annual state revenue.
Adults who possess or grow marijuana for personal use, or who engage in the non-profit transfer of cannabis, would not be subject to taxation under the law.
You can read more about these bills at the new website: http://www.cantaxreg.com. If you live in Massachusetts, we urge you to write your elected officials in support of H. 2929 and S. 1801 by going here.
“Decades of whispered grumblings about the wisdom and efficacy of prohibition is rapidly giving way to a serious—really serious public discussion about how to replace it,” said former NORML Board Member Richard Evans, who assisted in drafting the landmark legislation. “Those who consider themselves leaders in government and the media have the obligation to either show how prohibition can be made to work, or join in the exploration of alternatives.”
We can’t think of a better place to begin this discussion on the east coast than Massachusetts, where last November 65 percent of voters endorsed a statewide initiative reclassifying marijuana possession as a fine-only offense under state law. Will a majority of Bay State voters also support legalization? We may soon find out!

i really wish it could be like this, could you imagine being able to legally grow in your backyard?

It really steams my britches and puts me in a jealous rage of fury that my state will be dead last in doing anything of the sorts.

Now Im gonna sit here and cry.

SPEARCHUCKER said:
It really steams my britches and puts me in a jealous rage of fury that my state will be dead last in doing anything of the sorts.

Now Im gonna sit here and cry.

In the bible belt to uh? me to. We shall cry together my friend.:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

i'd put money on it that the state i live in will be the last to adopt any decriminalization or legalization of any kind lol. its sad place here, let me tell you wat...

Holler, Holler, East Coast!!!...

jump on that train, and ride it till the wheels fall off her...

with Oaksterdam coming to Ann Arbor, Michigan, can the train be coming here next?...bb...:D :cool:

banjobuzz said:
Holler, Holler, East Coast!!!...

jump on that train, and ride it till the wheels fall off her...

with Oaksterdam coming to Ann Arbor, Michigan, can the train be coming here next?...bb...:D :cool:

Hey keep the wheels on till it gets to Michigan... and there better be room!

I just read the bill looks like a very high tax is right. heres how it is broken down to those who haven't read it or don't want to read it.

Class C One hundred fifty dollar per ounc
Class B Two hundred dollars per ounc
Class A Two hundred fifty dollars per ounce.

All cannabis sold by processors shall be analyzed and graded as follows:
(1) If said cannabis contains more than 1% THC and less than 5% THC, then said cannabis shall be labeled “C”.
(2) If the cannabis contains 5% or more than 5% and less than 10% THC, then said cannabis shall be labeled “B”.
(3) If the cannabis contains 10% THC or more, then said cannabis shall be labeled “A”.

Sounds like a grading nightmare.
I want to be a first in line for that job.

Doesnt seem that bad to me LowR. A victory is a victory.

I hope it generates tons of money for the state. Seeing those $$$$$ signs is the only thing that would help change things in the south. Especially with our superior weather and soil.

i agree, when they start seeing dollars roll in to other states more will jump on. instead of wasting money they could be makin money. what branch of government doesn't like money? none

SPEARCHUCKER said:
Doesnt seem that bad to me LowR. A victory is a victory.

I hope it generates tons of money for the state. Seeing those $$$$$ signs is the only thing that would help change things in the south. Especially with our superior weather and soil.

its not that its bad to me, but these places have to make money which means the prices will be near black market prices.

As long as the state is not in control of production I'm so there and jumping up and down till I puke. Pa is finaly looking at MMJ, thank God for small miricles.

LowRider said:
I just read the bill looks like a very high tax is right.

In CA the taxes will be high if they pass the bill too, but they expect that, with all the pot being dumped onto the market, the price of weed will fall dramatically. In this article, they estimate that a joint will cost someone $1 including taxes.

This article is where I got the quote in my signature by Judge James P. Gray

CONGRATS MASS! Even if it doesn't pass this time around, introducing a bill is still a small vicotry.

If this passes the south would have no choise but to ennact legalization. When the state legislators relize that they are paying for increased incarcerarion rates due to illegally imported weed from other states it will become abundantly clear that the neo-moralist view of prohibitive enforcement makes no sence.
You can be sure people will be buying legal weed to ship south, just like people in the north go down south to buy handguns without any quesstions, restrictions, or requirements.
I immagine that the constitution requirement that states must repect legal standing in other states will end up being the last gasp of prohibition.:hubba:

cubby said:
If this passes the south would have no choise but to ennact legalization. When the state legislators relize that they are paying for increased incarcerarion rates due to illegally imported weed from other states it will become abundantly clear that the neo-moralist view of prohibitive enforcement makes no sence.
You can be sure people will be buying legal weed to ship south, just like people in the north go down south to buy handguns without any quesstions, restrictions, or requirements.
I immagine that the constitution requirement that states must repect legal standing in other states will end up being the last gasp of prohibition.:hubba:

Holly crap, I never thought of that! You are totally right, it will be like dominoes. We may be on the cusp of a major revolution in this country, though I suspect this isn't the first time.

The way I see it yes there is a huge movement to at the least get more states to approve MMJ. But I think as the states that legalize MJ the rest of the states will start to see how much money they can bring in, in the form of taxes they too will start to loose the neo-moralist view they now have.

Victories may be small now, but look at how much MMJ has been in the news lately. I'm 40 and I have ever seen this much talk about MJ as we havve seen in the last year.
I think this in itself is a positive victory just that the public image of MJ is changing in the publics eyes.

living in the northeast the few months has been exciting. but even watching the major news channels the last couple of week you hear them talking about it almost every night. so the more thay talk the better i hope. keeping my fingers crossed

cubby said:

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. The only gun your taking back that day would be some type of long gun (rifle/shotgun) and that DEPENDS ON STATE LAW. Handguns MUST be shipped from the DEALER you bought it from to your local DEALER. NO IF'S or BUT'S about it. please refram from mentioning gun laws when you have no clue.

Latest posts

Back