Not using nutes?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cjf2612

Tree man
Reaction score
Has anyone got any idea what the outcome would be not to use nutes during the flowering stage. Substandard bud obviously but in what way, yield, strength, taste etc. I guess all of these and also its dependant on strain but I was just wondering if we didnt feed out gals the outcome and would it be worth it or like smoking tobbaco?
I use Ionic Bloom and boost and am happy with the results thus far but am curious as to the outcome if a plant was left to grow 'oh natural' with just water.

andy52 said:
think what would occur if no nutes were used.the plant would probably die before it reached maturity.maybe
Im sorry andy but I find that hard to believe, yes I aggree the plant would struggle to find 'food' but to die????????????????????
If that were the case how do wild plants grow?

Plants grown outside have natural nutrients that are continually replenished by decomposition of organic materials, earthworms, rain...

I would never even consider trying to grow without nutes. I simply see no upside. We know that MJ needs certain things to flourish. I am with Andy--I do not see the plant even reaching maturity, but if it did, I would imagine that it would be substandard in every way.

no way it would. heck my plants can't even go a week with out starting to eat them selfs!

so an 8ltr pot of soil would not have suffient'energy' within it to support a plant for the 8 wks required to bud.'mutant' 'retard''hermie' it may become, I dont know, thats why im asking, im curious.
Surely you not saying MJ has never been grown without nutes by some one(limited means)wotever.

Look at it this way..... Ever see a tomato plant.. Imagine that plant never fertilizing it..... Probably would not even fruit.....

Same with a corn field, Imagine planting a field of corn with no ferts.... Corn will get 10 feet tall or more grown right, No nutes, it would be lucky to maybe get 3 feet tall and then would put all energy into getting just a few seeds in an ear to mature..... You would never get a full cob of corn....

I picked Tomatoes and corn for a reason, both are very voracious nute feeding crops, takes a lot of ferts to get the best out of them.. and both those crops have a few traits in common with MJ..... With no ferts, MJ might grow a lil bit... maybe get 2 feet tall sucking all the ambient nutes out of the soil available, then when it comes time to bloom, it will throw all its energy into early blooming and suck the life out of the rest of the plant so the plant will not finish.... The plant will try to reproduce itself as early as possible (produce seed), cause it knows it is in serious danger of dying without leaving a prodigy....

Now this explanation implies that plants have a consciousness and can sense when in trouble.... Not to say they have a consciousness but through millions of years of evolution, this is how the strongest plants have survived the harshest conditions.

Hope this helps.

Runbyhemp said:
Hmmm ... I've got a pet cat. Wonder what would happen if I didn't feed it.
Funny,I have a cat too, wouldnt dream of not feeding him(but then he isnt green and living in a pot with a light on him 12/12. I thought moderators were her to help not mock.
It was a simple question about weather or not nutes are a requirement for mj or an option. I thought, ok roses,daiseys,grass in your garden can do it, why not mj.
Now I know dont I.
Thanks for your input everyone!!!!!!!!

Roses are a woody bush type plant..... not as many nutes needed to survive.... to thrive is a different story.

Daiseys and grass in your lawn make their own ferts.... you mow your grass, those clipping decompose and make ferts for the plants... same with daiseys... they grow, and in the fall they die off.. over the years, they too decompose and provide good stuff for the next generation.

Didn't mean to offend you at all my friend. Basically all living things need certain criteria fulfilled, in order to live. Plants need nutrients ... simple as that. You may be lucky and have an excellent soil mix, which "may" provide most of what is needed throughout the grow, maybe not. Sorry man, just had a bowl, and thought the thread a bit funny, didn't mean to mock.

I guess this thread applies to me too because as of now, i am only on my second grow and have never used nutes. last summer for my first grow i didnt have the knowledge i do now and my plant wasnt the best. the bud was great tho, crack open a nugget, goldmine of crystals and the smell would fill the room instantly. As of today I am starting to use nutes so i hope that goes well but i guess what im trying to say is although using nutes will produce a better plant, i dont believe its needed. cjf2612 ill post a link of a pic of my best lady in my second grow. all shes has had is a 400w HPS, good ol soil, water, and tons of love from her daddy;)

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36218

8qt is a bit small but could probably be done with some planning. it would have to be one of the smaller lowryder types that go seed to bud in 60-days. The catch is "good" soil would be fertilized, even that stuff out back in the woods is fertilized. In nature, dead plants (and animals!) composting, natural fires, manure, blah blah all add to it so there is some nutrient rejuvenation. So in a completely alien environment (your closet hydro setup) you need to mimic nature, and with a proper setup can even get your plant to grow better than it would in nature. So yes you probably could grow a small strain to fruition in something that small without ever putting any fertilizer in, but you'd need a good soil mix. If you used something with zero nutrients in it (sand, vermiculite) the plant will die quick, but with some well balanced soil you can do it but I would recommend more than 8qts. Georges Cervantes has a video where he gives a good soil recipe, but he uses 25gal pots of this mix. it's on youtube so you won't need to buy anything just check it out, he knows his stuff!

if your trying to learn something, do an experiment, whatever, have fun and let us know how it goes, maybe even do a side by side comparison for us. if you're trying to get the most from it though, add some ferts once in a while and your plant will love you for it.

pcduck said:
(Duck scratching head)...hmmm look at your Avatar RBH:rofl:

I just couldn't help it. :)

lol. its so funny to cause thats really what it looks like.

cjf2612 said:
Funny,I have a cat too, wouldnt dream of not feeding him(but then he isnt green and living in a pot with a light on him 12/12. I thought moderators were her to help not mock.
It was a simple question about weather or not nutes are a requirement for mj or an option. I thought, ok roses,daiseys,grass in your garden can do it, why not mj.
Now I know dont I.
Thanks for your input everyone!!!!!!!!
Calm down. Take everything with a grain of salt. I think it was mean in all good humor and fun, and considering the circumstances well.....im gonna stop now cause i too have had a bowl or two.

Tree Man, I had a friend that grew a complete garden (outdoors) with tomatoes, different kinds of peppers, cucumbers, and among other things, marijuana. He did it all without feeding, and he had great results. However, none of that would have been possible had the soil been nutrient deficient. If you grew a plant in a huge container with good soil you might be able to grow without feeding. But you'd get better results using some fertilizer.

My experience with my non-mj outdoor garden goes like this. Going into the season I put down mushroom manure chicken compost and my compost pile. I till the dirt really good and I actually have two gardens but alternate which one I plant in each year. Now I can go almost the entire season without feeding and I really don't feed anything extra until flower/fruiting time. Even with all the preparation and good soil my garden explodes when I start hitting it with nutes.

I use Ionic Bloom and boost and am happy with the results thus far but am curious as to the outcome if a plant was left to grow 'oh natural' with just water.

I know what I am doing is not natural, I am going way above and beyond what naturally occurs in mother nature but just feeding water is even further from natural. As many have stated earlier natural dirt in the woods is full of of organic nutrients. I guess the consensus here is stick with the nutes, especially if you found that you are happy with the results.

cjf2612 said:
Substandard bud obviously but in what way, yield, strength, taste etc. I guess all of these and also its dependant on strain but I was just wondering if we didnt feed out gals the outcome and would it be worth it or like smoking tobbaco?

If by Substandard you mean dead then yes it will be very substandard.

With respect; how long do you think any living organism will survive without food?

I have grown plants indoors with no nutes other than the soil mix in the past. The plants will grow and you will get decent buds just not the massive ones you see with the ferts. There are a lot of growers that might get better buds because they over feed their plants to near death. Your plants can only use nutes, water and co2 at a rate according to the light available. Your plants will use a lot more of these things under a 1000 watt hps than they will with a couple of shop lights. If you use good soil and don't allow the pot to get rootbound you will get healthy buds. If you don't have enough soil you will need added nutes. That being said I always use ferts now with good soil and recommend the same to others. I learned the hard way, from trial and error.

When I was 14 I grew a pretty "little" plant in a 1 gallon pot out doors. It was about 2 feet tall and yielded a couple ounces. All I ever did was water it because I didn't know any better. That was about 29 years ago so I have learned a few things since then.

Latest posts

Back