Obama & Marijuana laws, we can help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hemp Goddess said:
IMO, the power of the pharmaceutical lobby (the largest by far) is the number one reason for the continued federal prohibition on MMJ. There are over 1300 pharmaceutical lobbyists and they spent almost 227 million last year.

The legalization and regulation of the marijuana industry would bring in an estimated 50+ billion a year and take the drug dealer out of the equation. I am surprised that the tobacco industry isn't pushing for the legalization of marijuana with tobacco sales declining as they are. Tobacco companies would be the logical ones to take over the marijuana industry. I would imagine that cultivation laws (for personal use) could run along the same lines as the laws regarding alcoholic beverage manufacture.

In addition to writing to President-elect Obama, I encourage everyone to write to their Senators and Representatives. We can make a difference.

You hit the nail on the head with that one goddess.

SmokinMom said:
Me three. :p

I shook his hand a few weeks ago.We drove to a rally where there were 35,000 people.Somehow we ended up right where he walked in at.I just missed him shaking my hand in the pic.

obama small.JPG

Everyone should watch The Union: The Business behind Getting High. It explains all of this, too many people are making way to money on keeping illegal. The pharma companies are just a tip of the ice burg. DO you know most prisons are privately owned, so they will want to keep it illegal. The lumber companies,tobacco and alcohol companies(Also the main finders of the Drug Free America Commericals), and the Chemical companies like Du Pont all lobby against it.

so.. we just have to stop grow tobacco? I can do that in nc.. really easy..

just burn it out.. and run really quick! then tobacco company would have nothing maybe increase prices and people will stop buy it ? its easy..!!

time4tokin20s said:
I shook his hand a few weeks ago.We drove to a rally where there were 35,000 people.Somehow we ended up right where he walked in at.I just missed him shaking my hand in the pic.

While I did not get to shake his hand, I was at Invesco Field the last night of the DNC in Denver and saw Obama. It was pretty powerful.

The Hemp Goddess said:
While I did not get to shake his hand, I was at Invesco Field the last night of the DNC in Denver and saw Obama. It was pretty powerful.

Nice!We were wanting to go but had to work :(

My 2 cents.

I agree that the big Pharm companies are a big obsticle for federal legalization.
But lets talk industry and taxation.

I do not believe that Big Tabbaco will take over the industry. No way. Sure, they might get involved, but they will produce inferior product at high prices. They will become what "beasters" is today.

It's like wine...sure you are going to have your Gallo's, but you will also have a TON of smaller "vinyards" producing thier own "vintage". That is where you and I come into play.

Taxation. The Dispensaries in California pay local and State tax on every purchase. It IS generating huge money. They are not paying Federal tax, due to MMJ not being recognized at the Fed level.

I do not see a "per plant" tax, or anything of the sort. You ahve to realize, that we (growers) are the MINORITY in the MJ world. By far, more folks just smoke then grow.
Everyone thinks that you just legalize it and whamo, everyone is going to grow thier own. Not going to happen. We could go into a ton of reasons, and I am willing to list em out if you all want.

So, that brings us back to a central front where MMJ can be purchased in a safe envirionment. Dispensaries. They will be the link between the MMJ community and the Tax board. That is where the money will be raised.

Bottom line, the Goverment will need a "middle" man to collect taxes. Who better then the open storefront? This is the way it works in liquer stores all across America. And, if it is legalized, the number of smokers will greatly increse. I am sure we all know folks that want to smoke, but are afraid of the reprocussions. These are the same folks that will never attempt to grow, as long as there are storefronts that sell openly.

NorCalHal said:
My 2 cents.

I agree that the big Pharm companies are a big obsticle for federal legalization.
But lets talk industry and taxation.

I do not believe that Big Tabbaco will take over the industry. No way. Sure, they might get involved, but they will produce inferior product at high prices. They will become what "beasters" is today.

It's like wine...sure you are going to have your Gallo's, but you will also have a TON of smaller "vinyards" producing thier own "vintage". That is where you and I come into play.

Taxation. The Dispensaries in California pay local and State tax on every purchase. It IS generating huge money. They are not paying Federal tax, due to MMJ not being recognized at the Fed level.

I do not see a "per plant" tax, or anything of the sort. You ahve to realize, that we (growers) are the MINORITY in the MJ world. By far, more folks just smoke then grow.
Everyone thinks that you just legalize it and whamo, everyone is going to grow thier own. Not going to happen. We could go into a ton of reasons, and I am willing to list em out if you all want.

So, that brings us back to a central front where MMJ can be purchased in a safe envirionment. Dispensaries. They will be the link between the MMJ community and the Tax board. That is where the money will be raised.

Bottom line, the Goverment will need a "middle" man to collect taxes. Who better then the open storefront? This is the way it works in liquer stores all across America. And, if it is legalized, the number of smokers will greatly increse. I am sure we all know folks that want to smoke, but are afraid of the reprocussions. These are the same folks that will never attempt to grow, as long as there are storefronts that sell openly.

We should start making plans for the MP Farmers Co-op.That way we'll have a leg up on the competition when they do legalize:D

Latest posts

Back