Obama Won't Go After MJ in WA and CO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

7greeneyes

MedicalNLovingIt!
Reaction score
Like we haven't heard that one before. *cough* *cough* mj dispensarys *cough**cough*

url: hMPp://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/12/15/obama-wont-go-after-marijuana-use-in-colorado-washington-state/

President Barack Obama says the federal government won't go after recreational marijuana use in Washington state and Colorado, where voters have legalized it.

Obama was asked whether he supports making pot legal, in a Barbara Walters interview that aired Friday on ABC.

"I wouldn't go that far," Obama replied. "But what I think is that, at this point, Washington and Colorado, you've seen the voters speak on this issue."

But the president said he won't pursue the issue in the two states where voters legalized the use of marijuana in the November elections. Marijuana remains illegal under federal law.

"... as it is, the federal government has a lot to do when it comes to criminal prosecutions," Obama said. "It does not make sense, from a prioritization point of view, for us to focus on recreational drug users in a state that has already said that under state law, that's legal."

Marijuana officially became legal in Washington state and Colorado this month.

The Justice Department hasn't targeted recreational marijuana users for decades. With limited resources, its focus has been to go after major drug traffickers instead.

Nonetheless, the Justice Department has said repeatedly in recent weeks that it is reviewing the legalization initiatives passed in Colorado and Washington state. The states have expressed concern that the federal government might sue over the issue. Department officials have said they are waiting to see what regulations the two states adopt to implement the initiatives.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said Friday the president believes there are "bigger fish to fry" in prioritizing law enforcement goals. Carney noted Obama's comments were similar to his remarks about the use of medical marijuana in states where it is legal.

"But the law is the law, and that is why he has directed the Department of Justice to review these ballot initiatives and make some assessments about how to proceed," Carney said.

In the department's most recent statement on the issue, the U.S. attorney for Colorado said Monday that the department's responsibility to enforce the federal Controlled Substances Act "remains unchanged."

"Neither states nor the executive branch can nullify a statute passed by Congress," U.S. Attorney John Walsh said. "Regardless of any changes in state law, including the change that will go into effect on Dec. 10 in Colorado, growing, selling or possessing any amount of marijuana remains illegal under federal law."

Walsh added: "Members of the public are also advised to remember that it remains against federal law to bring any amount of marijuana onto federal property, including all federal buildings, national parks and forests, military installations, and courthouses."

i heard about this the other day on the news here in Colo which is great news he is absolutely right there are much bigger problems at hand that the government should be dealing with especially with recent events.

:48:

thank you kind sir. Think we all need a lil :stoned:

Do not be fooled.

I believe that they will not go after users for sure, just like they don't go after med users here in my State.
Wait until they try to start growing mass amounts to feed the public...they will come. Mark my words.

NorCalHal said:
Do not be fooled.

I believe that they will not go after users for sure, just like they don't go after med users here in my State.
Wait until they try to start growing mass amounts to feed the public...they will come. Mark my words.
:yeahthat:
:48:

I dont care which party said it, He's a politician, his lips are moving, that means its a lie.

I think like other have said, leo's will back off users and go after growers, illegal and leagal.

First the "unliscenced" to get some to run to the .gov and get their permits. Then later after the "registered" since their are now on file. The FDA will not find you grows up to spec like they do to small farms. You will be fined and penalized out of business.

volantary registration will be the biggest tool in their belt.

Like other registrations...

Thats what he says. Remember 5 years ago.....He said the same things. Nothing has changed as far as federal actions against us.

i guess thats all true the local dispensary got ran out of business here the county hassled them about every little thing and then i think someone opened a daycare within so many yards of them so they told them they had to move so they finally just shut down

we have medical in my area---when the fed wanted to enforce its power over the state---they told property owners that were renting to the dispensaries that they face property forfeiture if they continued to rent to the dispensaries---this forced many to shut down---imo---obama is for decriminalization and will let the states do as they please until the threats to cut contributions from big pharma and big tobacco become reality---these contributions are regular and likely worked into the budgets for leo---big pharma and tobacco have yet to position themselves to run the whole marijuana industry---their monies are counted on and shape public policy---when obama realizes that these monies will no longer be donated to support leo and there is no one else stepping up to the plate to fill the shortfall---he'll have no choice but to cut give the dea the green light to go after the states legalization---big pharma and tobacco cut donations if the fed does not keep enforcement up until they have time to monopolize the industry---jmo---hold on tight you peeps up there in wa and co

thanks for the read---7g's

I was just thinking (and we all know how dangerous that can be...lol..) that most likely the Feds will wait for all the regulatory processes to be worked out. All the licenses distributed and farmers set up state legal. Then they'll come in and start busting ppl left and right right before the current administration leaves. Probably 2 to 21/2 years from now.

Kinda like the current DOJ's timing during his gun walking scandal and the coinciding mmj dispensary busts a few yrs back. Look over here while we're actually doing something over there. Just like a prestidigitator....

That's the only way it'll look like they're actually doing something.

Instead of tracking down the real traffikers, i.e. Heroin and Cocaine (like NatGeo journalists can achieve quite easily), it would be alot easier to just feign that they are accomplishing their phoney bologny "War On Drugs" and bust innocent citizens that are operating w/in state legal parameters.

all i can say is if i had to register to be legal, i would not be registering.

When the gov really got involved in cigs lately they have came down in price, right? lol

I wouldn't register either. The political times and moods change very fast, but once you are registered in the Government's system, that is there forever.

Latest posts

Back