Of course, I'm having issues...bleah

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight_toker

Reaction score
The details:
This is Phyllis and she is from bag seed. My first grow, so this is my learning grow.
The soil is whatever I could find that did not have fertilizer in it. They were all in MG moisture lock before, so I repotted them, letting as much of the MG fall off as possible.
Water is well water- I don't know the PH.
I have been watering Phyllis about every 7 days (when I feel the soil is dry about an inch down) with a 0-10-10 fertilizer, but last week, I started seeing more yellow (had a nitrogen def. before), so I switched back and gave it some general vegging fertilizer (12-4-8) and sprinkled some blood meal (tiny bit, about 1/16 tsp)
Light is Fl. about 15,500 lumens over 3ft squared, 12/12
In flower 23 days (from pistils showing)
Phyllis flowered sooner than my others and is already getting trichomes on her and they look cloudy in my pics, but I need to get a macro or something to check them out closer. She never grew many side branches (about 4, I took one for a clone and now it has 1 large, 1 small and 1 micro bud. Her stem/trunk has ridges and has always had this purple thing going on. The stems of the leaves too. We haven't had cold weather (well, maybe 1 night of 50F, but generally about 70-80F).

I got Phyllis's seed from some very potent stuff grown by a friend of my mom's (a medical grower in Cali) who is very secretive about what strains she grows and where she gets them, but it's one many people talk about after smoking- very heady, energizing, way, way high. That makes me think it might be some blueberry cross, perhaps, the purple being a genetic trait, but I really don't know for sure.

I have one other (Celeste) that MAY be the same seed, but I do not remember. Celeste also has some purple happening. None of my others do. She is looking scraggly and losing leaves too, but the buds aren't as big by any means and it flowered a few days later than this one and isn't moving along as fast. Phyliis started out runty, then quickly caught up and has the biggest cola of all of my plants and is going through flowering quicker, it seems. I do not know for sure if they are the same strain. Celeste WAS very bushy and largest of my bunch (not anymore). I have tried to clone her 2 times to no avail. She has 5 buds on her and , as I typed, they aren't moving along as fast as Phyllis.

Phyllis has some spots on the leaves, Celeste does not, but I checked them over and see no signs of pests. 2 of the yellow leaves on Phyllis have spots and one otherwise healthy leaf has spots.

I don't expect them to be super healthy, but I just want to make sure they make it to harvest. I have the clones on standby vegging and they will get much better treatment as I have finally found a place to buy recommended soil and fertilizers 2 hours away. Phew- relief.

My questions are:
What might be wrong besides Nitrogen Deficiency?
If the trichomes are already cloudy on Phyllis, how far out am I to harvest?
What strain might each be if you'd guess?

First 5 Pics are Phyllis. Next 3 pics are Celeste.

1_phyllis.JPG

2_phyllis.JPG

3_phyllis.JPG

4_phyllis.JPG

5_phyllis.JPG

8_celeste.JPG

9_celeste.JPG

11_celeste.JPG

The second and third pic might be on the dark side. they aren't that dark green, I think- the color is closer to the first pic.

oh and I see that Celeste has too much nitrogen, but I have flushed her once, watered her with only 0-10-10 twice and she doesn't drain well- could it be she is root bound? and if she is, should I re-pot or can I take her through to harvest without? which has the highest likelihood she'll hermie on me? re-potting or being root bound?

I doubt plants that small are rootbound...looks like you've got insufficient light, and definately need to check the PH of your soil/water...that's kind of imparative...other than that check for bugs, maybe ease up on the fertz...the leaves turning under like a claw is an indicator that you're over feeding...use plain ph adjusted water to around 6.5 and you'll probably see some better results..

How are you checking your trichs? With buds that small and only 23 days old, I highly doubt that you could have cloudy trichs. When you say your space is 3 ft squared, do you mean 3 x 3 or 3 sq ft? Have you checked the ppms of your well water? Some well waqter has a lot of crap in it.

They had been light deprived at first, yes and they are all very small- intentionally so with a heaping of accidental good mistakes and dumb luck.

Sorry, HempGoddess, I meant that my space is about 1 ft by 3 ft so 3sqft, oops. So, I think I have enough light and I have had enough light for a while.

I'm only looking at the trichomes in the pic I took. That close up- they don't look clear, they don't look shiny either, just dull whitish, but I know it could just be the pic. I plan to get a loupe next week and will look with that. I will also have a macro lens to play with next week, so I'll see more then. Phyllis is going much faster than the others. I guess I'm wondering if the yellowing is within the norm or if I should be concerned? I'm wondering if she could simply be one that goes through flowering quickly.

I'm going to buy a soil test kit and a soil ph test kit today. Guess I need a water ph test kit too?

I just want to carry them through to harvest. My clones will be treated way better. I just need to make that 2 hour drive soon. Getting married next weekend, so I've been way too busy, unfortunately.

these pics look to be 3 weeks tops flower. by the look at the yellowing on phyllis, you have a ph problem there. also, back off on your feed. see the burnt tips?

if you can only swing one tester, i would rec the ph water tester. you can find a reliable digi meter on ebay.

take care of the ph problem first.

btw, you should never use getting married, and unfortunately in the same sentence. jmo...;) Irish...

Checked my water Ph and it is 7.5. Isn't that okay?

It seems the yellowing has stopped. I think maybe it was a deficiency and I overdid it a bit on the ferts. Let's hope I have a hold on it now. They are at 4 weeks flower now. More trichomes developing. I bought a 60 to 100x lighted pocket microscope. Can't wait too see the trichomes. I'm sure they'll look way cooler than testing it out on the fibers of my car upholstery.

I use a ph of 6 7.5 is high.

I bought a pocket microscope and checked and about 10% of Phyllis's Trichomes are amber and the same in pistils are starting to turn orangey. She's just going faster than the others, so different strain, I'm sure. Celeste had a couple starting to amber, but not as many. The other 2 aren't even close yet.

:yeahthat:

For having over 5000 lumens/sqft your plants look weak to me.:confused2:

yeah, they ARE weak and scrawny and small. As I've said, they had a rough start. Geez, stop hatin' on the newbies, lol.

I thought I would have already killed 'em by now. They must love S&M. Apparently, they are going to pull through for me...I think. Time will tell.

It's all about LEARNING, and growing, que no?

I think if you get the light closer (not too close use your hand to judge warmth) lower your ph and feed it some good vegging nuts she will do fine. I like the budding picture. good luck.

I could tell you are using fluros before I even read the post...

Not hating midnight_toker just trying to be helpful. Would you rather have us say they look great then have them die the next day.:confused2:

Latest posts

Back