Officials find pot-growing setup in underground bunker near Elsinore

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FruityBud

Reaction score
An ongoing investigation culminated Saturday morning with authorities seizing a suspected indoor marijuana-growing operation from a bunker at a rural residence east of Ellsinore.

About three days ago, Carter County Sheriff Greg Melton received information from a confidential informant about a "subject [who] had a hydro-grow [operation] in his house," said Carter County Reserve Deputy Johnny Brannum. "Through continuing investigations and interviews, [the department] obtained a warrant to do a flyover with a FLIR [forward looking infrared device] from the Missouri National Guard."

A National Guard helicopter from Jefferson City with a FLIR unit mounted on it performed a flyover Friday night searching for heat sources, Brannum said.

As the helicopter made its flyover, "it detected what they thought was abnormal heat readings from the house," Brannum said.

At 9 a.m. Saturday, Brannum said, Melton and officers with the Missouri State Highway Patrol did a "knock-and-talk" at the residence, where the homeowner gave them permission to search.

Assisting Carter County deputies and Highway Patrol troopers in their search of the residence were officers from the Van Buren Police Department and Ozark County Sheriff's Department, Melton said.

"The first pass through of the house didn't find anything," Brannum said. "The Ozark County Sheriff's Department had a portable FLIR unit, which is handheld.

"We had an officer from their department [who is] trained in handling it walk through, and he picked up an abnormal reading in the wall of the garage."

A false wall, Melton said, was found in the garage area.

"Entry through the wall led to a hidden staircase, which led to a large two-room, concrete bunker under the residence," Melton said. "The enclosed bunker contained a sophisticated cultivation operation of marijuana plants.

"The bunker contained plants in all stages of growth [including] seedling plants, mature plants, plants which had been harvested; plants hung to dry in preparation for processing and several bags processed and ready for distribution."

Brannum estimated there were between 125 to 150 suspected marijuana plants growing in the bunker.

The two rooms, Melton said, contained several large heat lamps, which provided "continuous light for quick growth and maturity of the plants. The illegal operation allowed a continuous harvest of marijuana plants 365 days a year."

Brannum described the setup as an "ongoing operation. This person has done this successfully for quite a while. The bunker in that house was designed for that reason."

Everything from the suspected marijuana plants and overhead-mounted grow lights to aquariums, fertilizer, cultivation equipment and a set of scales "used to weigh the plants" was seized as evidence, Brannum said.

"There was three pickup truck loads of stuff we loaded up; [everything] was transported to Willow Springs, Troop G," because the Highway Patrol has a facility large enough to house everything, Brannum said. "They're processing it."

The investigation, Melton said, is ongoing and several arrests are expected.

Video: hxxp://tinyurl.com/5aqa9z

hxxp://tinyurl.com/56444n

wow that is some crazy stuff... except they didn't have a snitch or a search warrant, yet the guy got caught. He should never have let them come into the house without a search warrant, it is legal to say no to them, and after they left to get their search warrant, hide your plants, or do something to help yourself. I don't think they had a snitch, but they just lie to make it look better, rather than saying they illegaly entered the house after the flyover.

Sheriff Greg Melton received information from a confidential informant
Talk to anyone..... let anyone know you grow, let anyone into your house - your screwed!! :holysheep:

i dont care how stealth i thought my set-up was...no warrant=no search...and i have a scrip for it and my #'s are even right now...still, i would say no because i'm not real confident my scrip will stop local LEO from rippin everything out and then..."you can tell it to the judge".

Despite a MMJ license, you are still breaking Federal Laws. The local officers can always SAY they had an informant and by the time u go to court and sue, they've already smoked your stash, the dirty b------(s).Tho legal beagles say burden of proof iS on the state, it really isn't... :(Good article.

7greeneyes said:
Despite a MMJ license, you are still breaking Federal Laws. The local officers can always SAY they had an informant and by the time u go to court and sue, they've already smoked your stash, the dirty b------(s).Tho legal beagles say burden of proof iS on the state, it really isn't... :(Good article.
exactamundo!

what 's funny is that they did a knock and talk as they were obviously rejected a forced entry warrant or search warrant of the premises with anything other than FLIR.I bet they didn't find jack with the FLIR. Hell. If he would of told them to screw off, and not LET THEM IN . he would not be in the newspaper.

Just my thoughts.

During a Knock and Talk, Never let a cop in and Never open the door. Converse through the door and if they have a warrant tell them to break it down.

Never LET THE COPS IN. NEVER.

""About three days ago, Carter County Sheriff Greg Melton received information from a confidential informant about a "subject [who] had a hydro-grow [operation] in his house," said Carter County Reserve Deputy Johnny Brannum. "Through continuing investigations and interviews, [the department] obtained a warrant to do a flyover with a FLIR [forward looking infrared device] from the Missouri National Guard."?""

Loose lips.

They may of had a warrant for a flyover by lying about some crack informant. But they DIDN"T have a warrant to search. He opened the doors. And told them they could.

At 9 a.m. Saturday, Brannum said, Melton and officers with the Missouri State Highway Patrol did a "knock-and-talk" at the residence, where the homeowner gave them permission to search.

Sadly this fool made more mistakes then he realizes.Hopefully he won't get it too bad.

All growers could learn alot from this article. Lots of No No's in there. Highlighted by his ignorance of his rights. Know your rights and you can keep urself out of jail. And i agree totally KGB. Loose lips sink ships.

I was just pointing out that the cops didn't have a warrant to search his home that's why they did a knock and talk, which only gaurantees entry if the occupants allow.Which he did. And now he's BUSTED.

Lots of lessons here..... lots

This is what happens when you get greedy. He probably shorted the cops the last time they bought some. :D

I still say it's all about who you know, not how well you hide it.

The two rooms, Melton said, contained several large heat lamps, which provided "continuous light for quick growth and maturity of the plants.
New technology:D?

Latest posts

Back