old soil question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purified

Reaction score
i got some old fox farm ocean forest soil from previous grow a month ago would it be ago if i just grinded up the soil and used it again? reason i say grind because it has a bunch of old roots in it

IMO, not a good idea. Roots live and feed in your soil and the soil breaks down during your grow thus making the soil old and not great for starting a new grow.

Roots are the most important part of the plant so why not spend $10.00 for a brand new bag of soil :confused: its like putting on a new pair of socks and shoes for the plant...

I NEVER skimp on my soil, it is readily available to me though...

grinded? ground.
No, don't do it. Result = nutrient deficiencies.

I've heard of enzymes you can use to break down old root stuctures. I plan on reusing my medium using this method. Would there still be nute deficiencies if using nuteless medium then adding chemys?

you can compost it for a month or two. But still you will need compostable material, i.e. manure,egg shells,grass,etc. If you are about to start now get new soil and still compost the old soil which can be used for your next grow.

mendo local said:
I use old soil all the time, just take out any root clumps. Ive never had problems with reusing. Its a good idea to fluff it first. Take a shovel and mix it up good.

I agree, when I harvest I leave a stump when I cut the plant that I can grab then I pull the root ball out of the pot and wash the soil off the roots into a strainer and throw the roots away... This also wash any old fert salts out of it... you will loose some in the process but you can add fresh to it....

You can reuse your old soil if it doesn't have any problems like bugs. You need to flush it out and add stuff to reinvigorate it. I add a lot of worm castings and some bat guano. Then I add other things depending on what stage of growth the plants are in and the strain.

Oh well, I grow in modified coco, it is like $10 for a large bag, that's why I don't bother reusing. I throw it on to the lawn when it's done.

Latest posts

Back