Bottom feed promix pots successfully?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bubba

Reaction score
If I am going to be gone 5-7 days, with previous grows in Ocean Forest, I would water them really good, load the pan under the pot full, reduce lights and resume normal routine once back home.

With promix, most everything I've seen shows top feeding until run off...will promix work like soil and suck it up from the bottom? I don't see why not, but have never seen it done that way, so figured there was a reason, so asking.

Bubba

I grew with promix in a flood and drain which feeds from the bottom. No problems

the issue I see with leaving your roots stand in water for a week may give the plants an opportunity to form root rot...it will wick up the water but the bottom of the rootball will be over watered...kinda iffy

If I am going to be gone 5-7 days, with previous grows in Ocean Forest, I would water them really good, load the pan under the pot full, reduce lights and resume normal routine once back home.

With promix, most everything I've seen shows top feeding until run off...will promix work like soil and suck it up from the bottom? I don't see why not, but have never seen it done that way, so figured there was a reason, so asking.

Bubba
I have done that before when I had my cabin and was gone for a few days. I wouldn't make a habit of it though. I was only gone 4 days though and only had about a half an inch in my over flow tray.
the issue I see with leaving your roots stand in water for a week may give the plants an opportunity to form root rot...it will wick up the water but the bottom of the rootball will be over watered...kinda iffy
Yup, I would be concerned about that for that long. How big are the pots? Do you have 1" of perlite in the bottom like I do? That helps a lot with root rot.

Last edited:
I've done it with soil in an emergency. The plants were big, but not yet in flower. They were using a lot of water, so I was more worried about them going dry than root rot.

When I returned, the water was gone and they were not yet dry, but not real wet either. Seemed to be a little over watered, but snapped right back

That was soil...promix is different than dirt in how it deals with water. Going from top down is the only way I've seen it done with the promix. It seems to get very wet, almost soaked right after water/feed, but quickly deals with it and soon needs more.

I figured there was a reason no one bottom feeds promix. Dirt gets mud like when really wet. Promix is more like a sponge.

I have seen people water soil from the bottom trying to rid flying nats by letting top dry. Oh well.

I have the parts to build a 27 gallon tote like gmo is using. He is able to leave it for periods of a week with out bad repercussions, maybe that is the path.

Bubba

I have done that before when I had my cabin and was gone for a few days. I wouldn't make a habit of it though. I was only gone 4 days though and only had about a half an inch in my over flow tray.

Yup, I would be concerned about that for that long. How bit of pots? Do you have 1" of perlite in the bottom like I do? That helps a lot with root rot.
Current pots are 3 gallon. I could up pot the ones in veg, but probably not going to try with ones in flower beginning stages.

No, I didn't catch putting the perlight in the bottom, good idea. I also have thought about massproducers take on hempy buckets. 5 gallon buckets, 3 inches of perlite in bottom, hole in bucket just above the 3 inches of perlite. Coco and various amendments. Bottom with perlite serves as reservoir for nute water.

My thought was to use promix on top, but this does not solves the problem either. Gmo's aeroponic looks like best option for being able to safely leave them if necessary.

Bubba

Well that's what I thought, then again with hydro the are in water constantly. Say, you were using one of those bubble buckets growers, how long between nute water changes?

Bubba

Reactions: gmo
Well that's what I thought, then again with hydro the are in water constantly. Say, you were using one of those bubble buckets growers, how long between nute water changes?

Bubba
I rarely completely drain and refill the reservoir. Mostly it's too off or drain a couple gallons and retop off.

The difference is the amount of air that is pumped in to dwc setups.

Current pots are 3 gallon. I could up pot the ones in veg, but probably not going to try with ones in flower beginning stages.

No, I didn't catch putting the perlight in the bottom, good idea. I also have thought about massproducers take on hempy buckets. 5 gallon buckets, 3 inches of perlite in bottom, hole in bucket just above the 3 inches of perlite. Coco and various amendments. Bottom with perlite serves as reservoir for nute water.

My thought was to use promix on top, but this does not solves the problem either. Gmo's aeroponic looks like best option for being able to safely leave them if necessary.

Bubba

i grew with 100% Perlite in 5 gal buckets and had excellent results

i could water the plants and leave for 2-3 days no problems

those white containers are 18 gallon totes with 100% Perlite

F9E4467C-A980-47E1-B7FC-D7EE8F45AEEF.jpeg

Bubba
I still am, got 1 bucket full of roots but being delegated to veg for months which isn't gonna make the transition to flower easy...I check the fluid level in the bucket every few days...when I am lazy I top it off but I do change the nutes at least every other week...

I still am, got 1 bucket full of roots but being delegated to veg for months which isn't gonna make the transition to flower easy...I check the fluid level in the bucket every few days...when I am lazy I top it off but I do change the nutes at least every other week...
That's about the schedule I had in the day with a shallow water culture set up with bubblers. Copied off the old Overgrow site.

Back then I was too paranoid to join, but read it to build this thing, and build the High Pressure Sodium lamp. It all was supposed to be built into a self contained grow box. I just did it open air. Tomato nutes, distilled water and half tap water. Never had heard of ph. It worked great for it's small size. About 4 oz of bud every 8 weeks with white widow (supposedly) bag seeds. I crossed it back on itself for seeds.

Bubba

Latest posts

Back