Opinion on venting up the chimney?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer_Guy

Junior Grower
Reaction score
My last (First) grow I just let the smell invade the house, it was pretty intense at times.:eek:
We just got a new high efficiency furnace which vents out the basement wall through PVC pipes, so that leaves the chimney totally unused. The house is two stories plus a finished attic, might as well be a three story house.
If I used a small squirrel cage fan to draw the air from my grow room and force it up the chimney do you think the neighbors would notice anything? Would the smell be mingled with fresh air enough that nobody would notice? If they did notice, would they be able to tell where it came from?
Yep, I'm a bit paranoid..... LOL

Edited to change the word "s u c k" to "draw", I guess that word is censored...LOL

Buy a carbon filter or make one. There are several diy in the forums. The only way to guarantee noone smells it is to kill the smell. Carbon filters are one of the most important part of your grow.

Been thinking about a carbon filter, was hoping to avoid that. No dice, huh?

Nope. I did a few grows without one. Then I ran into a few skunky strains and it is a definite must...unless you're in the middle of nowhere without neighbors:D.

I've definitely got neighbors,,,,LOL.

Gonna look up some good DIY articles and follow your advice, Thanks!:aok:

Would it still be a good idea to vent out the chimney? (after filtering with carbon?)

Sounds good to me. The higher you vent, if you have smell issues, the better.

It would probably work fine venting up the chimney without a carbon filter, but if you're paranoid and your neighbors are sketchy, then I wouldn't think twice about making a cheap carbon filter. Better safe than sorry right?

better safe than sorry dude

carbon filter and up the chimney then alls well

pkj

So if we were to put it to a vote, looks like a carbon filter wins hands down.... :D
But the chimney ain't such a bad idea either.... :hubba:
Looks like I'm doing both.

Thanks for your comments!

i was in a close housed neighborhood and vented up the chimney. i didnt have a problem with smell. it seemed to mingle with the fresh air perty well. i would figure a 2-3 story house would be great for getting the smell to mingle away.

I exhaust my grow box out one of my attic vents on the roof... it works perf... no smell at all anywhere outside around my house...and the roof vents are lower than the chimney.

if you live in a neighborhood....especially one in which people walk by your house irregularly....i would not grow withou a carbon filter.

dont be so cocky to think you will not be caught.

its called "NORMALIZATION OF DEVIANCE". Its when evidence of a problem is minimized or ig-nored and you get away with it and then there is a growing tolerance for things that are not quite right. you get used to taking the risk and it no longer becomes a concern and then BAM! you get aknock at yer door.

there are old growers and there are bold growers.....but there are no old bold growers.

peace

so true any good grow you should have someway of hiding the smell plus i like using my chemney when it gets cold ;)

"NORMALIZATION OF DEVIANCE".
Never heard of this before but I've seen it plenty of times ,experienced it my self a few times .
Now I know what to call it
The flue and the scrubber ,redundancy of purpose is a good design principle.

"there are old growers and there are bold growers.....but there are no old bold growers."

This line is great! I love it!

I found some good designs for carbon filters that don't cost a ton of money. That's what I'm gonna do.
I sure appreciate all of your comments!
Thanks.

Yeah, I would go with the carbon filter...I can picture neighbors walking out and smelling something "suspicious", not to mention if you actually wanted to use your fireplace it might get in the way of basic saftey, and every few years chimneys may need to be inspected depending on your location and what the building laws are.

Beer_Guy said:
My last (First) grow I just let the smell invade the house, it was pretty intense at times.:eek:
We just got a new high efficiency furnace which vents out the basement wall through PVC pipes, so that leaves the chimney totally unused. The house is two stories plus a finished attic, might as well be a three story house.
If I used a small squirrel cage fan to draw the air from my grow room and force it up the chimney do you think the neighbors would notice anything? Would the smell be mingled with fresh air enough that nobody would notice? If they did notice, would they be able to tell where it came from?
Yep, I'm a bit paranoid..... LOL

Edited to change the word "s u c k" to "draw", I guess that word is censored...LOL

a guy I knew had his grow in an apartment. he ran exhaust up to crawl space above 3rd story and out the ridge vent. it worked for him and we couldnt smell a thing outside at all. exhaust was about 30ft above street level. He grew White Widow, Northern Lights and Kush.:cool:

I would think if you did a proper job, and followed all building safety codes, you'd be fine. The only issue I can forsee would be a fire code for chimneys might preclude such an installation???:hubba:

Normalization of Deviance.....

that is a NASA term......and was used to help explain the challenger shuttle disaster. A disaster that could have been avoided had a corner not been cut. But it had been cut several times without consequence....and then.....boom

there are old growers and there are bold growers.....but there are no old bold growers

this one i took from an elder that gave advice. You can learn a lot from your elders.

It is a pilots saying. "There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots." i had been bragging about some not so legal piloting.

it applies here just as well if not better. trust me...the larger you grow the greedier you get and then it ends. it always does. i have friends to attest to it.

and another one of my favorites that seems to prove just as relevant to this hobby......

"A favor today......is expected tomorrow". Do not supply your friends. they just return more often. at least mine do! :doh:

Just thought i'd pass on some info cuz i'm bored and high...but not high enuf.:48:

Latest posts

Back