PH calibration temp

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buddog

Reaction score
When u calibrate a ph meter for hydro are u calibrating to the water temp. or the air temp.

I'm not sure what you mean? But when I calibrate my PH meter I'm not calibrating the temp of anything just calibrating the PH!

Phatpharmer

On the back of the packet the calibration fluid is in it gives different ph for different temps.

0619091923a.jpg

0619091924a.jpg

I have an Oaktron digital Ph tester, my ph is the same at any temp cold or warm I don't think Ph should change because of temp! It doesn't make sense to me that ph would change because of temp of solution being checked I maybe wrong, maybe someone with a milwaukie meter can be of more help but like I said I've never herd of ph changing do to temp!

Phatpharmer

I recently bought a new digital ph meter and the feller at the store told me that the more expensive ones compensated for temperature also, whereas the cheaper ones (if you can call $60 cheap) will not....he said that it was the temp of the fluids that you are measuring, not the air...hope that helps...

temp is a must. I leave my solution at room temp and then take my reading, that way I know where it should be exactly.

My Oaktron must adjust to temp because when I test my Ph in cold or warm it always reads the same! I guess you learn something new everyday!

Phatpharmer

BuddyLuv said:
does it have temp compensation?

It does have temp compensation, I must of lucked out because like I said I didn't no temp could alter PH, I guess it wasn't to lucky as I paid 160$ for the darn thing, but I can't complain its never steered me wrong!

Phatpharmer:hubba:

I paid about the same for my Hanna, it has temp compensation but I have never calibrated the temp. You can put it in a glass with 50/50 water/ice to see if it reads 32 but just never got around to it. I just throw the solution on the coffee table in the morn and then set my meter that night. What I find most of the time is my meter is usually dead on and I feel like I wasted solution, but better safe then sorry.

Hey Buddy
Did I read you right, you are testing your meter everyday? My Hana has been checked 3 X since March 1X New 1x for peace of mind and last nite after I dropped it in the res and had to use a hair dryer to save it. It works fine now but did not like the swim! (HA!)

hey buddy<<< wat hanna tester you got>
i got the checker1 model. no idea if it has temp compensation or not. my last digi was a cheap one and read the temp of sol. on the screen wit the ph. but my new hannah checker1 model only shows teh ph on the screen. does that mean its got the temp comp then. i also wondered on this whole temp thing wit ph testers.

zipflip said:
hey buddy<<< wat hanna tester you got>
i got the checker1 model. no idea if it has temp compensation or not. my last digi was a cheap one and read the temp of sol. on the screen wit the ph. but my new hannah checker1 model only shows teh ph on the screen. does that mean its got the temp comp then. i also wondered on this whole temp thing wit ph testers.

Hey zip...i have the same model and this is how i look at it...i calibrate it at room temperate...i PH my water at room temperature also...so if that ain't temperature compensation then i dont know what is....:watchplant: But no...our particular model doesnt compensate by itself....

i been doin everythin at room temp so far as well. but now i know bout the tester i got . thanks.

Just an opinion, but the temp calibration on the pH meters is essentially useless. Most are calibrated +/- .1-.2 from actual readings. The temp variations are in .01 range for differences... much lower than what your meter can read/is calibrated for. The diff between 50F & 100F is less than .1pH in measurement. Best everyone!

Hello Buddog :)

I suggest you buy some better PH buffer.

I wouldnt trust what your using.

:peace:

Buf sol 1.JPG

Buf sol 2.JPG

HIE<<< i usin the similar packets as buddog in his pix but only mines by hannah brand. and in the manual it says to callibrate with only hannah brand buffer. and im sure buddogs milwaukee manualsays same thing for its brand as well...No, buddog?
now is this just a sales pitch of sort just to maintain sales on their personal branded buffer solutions. or is there reason behind this.
wats your manual say buddog?

Zip & Hip, I've used most all the brands avail at the stores, over time that is... ya know. I don't see much diff in the cal solutions. The meters are a different matter entirely... brand new, calibrated, 2 meters show .5 difference from same solution.

pH'ing isn't simple and/or easy, imho, as so very many factors influence including meter maintenance, how/when solution is measured, what is in the solution, meter age/reference solution availability, even battery charge. But the cal solutions seem pretty consistent...?

wats up oregon? thanks for the info.

Latest posts

Back