ph question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frankcos

Reaction score
I had my wife swing by htg supply store about 40 minutes away today for soil, pots and a ph tester while she went to the doctor. She came back with 2 bags of FFOF, 1 gallon pots and a ph tester with the up and down solutions included. Only problem is the tester says its for hydro. Am I able to use this with soil if i dilute it with water or should I not bother opening it and try to return it?Thanks

just test your mixture before you put it into the soil, then test the runoff. Should work fine.

you can use it to ph the water you are feeding with, if you do this you wont

need to test the soils PH, it sounds like your wife bought the rite stuff. JMO

what kind is it?
you don't want a soil tester anyway frank, you want to test the ph of what you water them with ;)

did you get the test solution for it too though? (not the up or down, but the test solution to make sure the meter is reading correctly)

*wow everyone's eager to help today eh lol, there was no replies when i started typing.. or maybe i just type slow :D good to see though, hope we don't confuse poor frank with all our help ;)

:)

It is "General Hydroponics Brand" It has three bottles, an Up, a Down and a little bottle of ph test indicator 4.0 to 8.5.

i agree. run that hydro pen for your nutrients. that FFOF is GOOD stuff. you can get a soil test kit from "ace hardware" for less than $20.

i've found with good water/nute balance, i quit worrying about testing the PH of the FF stuff.

l agree with Kaotik. test to water and nutes before you use them and i check my run off like every other watering.

Yeah last grow I used distilled water and ffof and didn't have to worry about ph. Distilled water gets expensive so its tap water this time around.

never heard of a general hydro ph meter..
hmm.. it's not this is it?
hxxp://www.amazon.com/pH-Control-Kit-General-Hydroponics/dp/B000BNKWZY

kaotik said:
never heard of a general hydro ph meter..
hmm.. it's not this is it?
hxxp://www.amazon.com/pH-Control-Kit-General-Hydroponics/dp/B000BNKWZY
thats the one

ohhhh you got the drops. I thought you got a digital meter. Those things are tough to use. I can never tell exactly what color I am looking at.

EDIT: Yea that would be used for testing water/nutrients only. You can use it to test your water/nutrients before you put them on the soil and then you can use that to check the runoff again if you wish to see how the soil is affecting the ph. But those things are tough to use for an accurate reading.

SensiStarFan said:
ohhhh you got the drops. I thought you got a digital meter. Those things are tough to use. I can never tell exactly what color I am looking at.

EDIT: Yea that would be used for testing water/nutrients only. You can use it to test your water/nutrients before you put them on the soil and then you can use that to check the runoff again if you wish to see how the soil is affecting the ph. But those things are tough to use for an accurate reading.
Sorry I should have said that is was the drops kit.I was experimenting with it and you are right it is real tough to get to the color you want.Tested my water straight from the tap and its about 6.5.

Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it.

The first time I ever tried using of those in my flower room no matter what I did to the nutrient solution the color in the ph test tube always looked orange to me...and then I realize I was looking at water with two giant 600 watt HPS bulbs over my shoulder putting out ridiculous amounts of orangish light!:rofl: :rofl:

SensiStarFan said:
The first time I ever tried using of those in my flower room no matter what I did to the nutrient solution the color in the ph test tube always looked orange to me...and then I realize I was looking at water with two giant 600 watt HPS bulbs over my shoulder putting out ridiculous amounts of orangish light!:rofl: :rofl:
:rofl::bongin:

SensiStarFan said:

LOL

I would get a digital PH meter....there like 30 bux for a hanna and they are well worth properly grown dank in return. JMO

In my short growing experience, a digital ph tester is the best tool you can have.

Latest posts

Back