ph runoff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey Mcpotster

my bone marrow is resin
Reaction score
I have 4 sarori and 4 speed queen in the 16 oz. cups, hempy style. They are 10 days old. I sprouted them in 1" grodan cubes. I washed the hydroton with our tap water ( tap water ph 8.0) but left it to dry for 4 days. I water with distilled water only, phd to 5.7. I checked my run off last night and found it was at 6.8 - 7.2. Sorry I cant post any pics for a few days. Other computer died.
most of the plants have good growth with the 3rd set of leaves starting. 4 are curled down pretty bad, and most have begun to get brown on the leaf tips. I did try to flush them last night but I only fulshed each one with 16 oz of water. I have read 3x the size of pot, so a 48 oz flush for each one? Should I be worried about the rockwool holding to much water? Please help stop the death of 8 innocent plants

The only thing you may not be able to see from the pic is the serrated leaves have a lighter green color and just a bit of brown on the edges of the leaves. I'm late for work. I can try to get some better pics later if need be. ALSO I carefully removed the excess water from the rockwool. Roots were white and heading for or very near the res. at the bottom. Can I add water near the edge to avoid any more water in the rockwool. I want to be sure there is water in the res. for the roots. Thanks for the help!!

DSC00647.JPG

DSC00648.JPG

DSC00649.JPG

I'm not sure what to advise with-out pics. It sounds like you could be over-watering? Smaller seedlings need plenty of water but also need ample time to dry between those waterings. This dry-out time is often over-looked and will greatly asist in root growth and overall health. The root system will expand as it searches for fluid throughout the drying pot. 3x water to the pot size seems excessive to me. That would mean in a 5 gallon pot you would apply 15 gallons of water. I give my 5 gallon pots 1.5 gallons every 4 days indoors. It all depends on strain, your stage in growth and humidity and temp levels to determine how to water your ladies. You could get twenty dif answers fromtwenty growers. I'd suggest letting them dry out and water untill fluid begins to drain next time then stop. As you plant grows it will require more. I've had very few issues transplanting rock-wool to soil except some random zinc def? Have you applied any nutes? What kind of lights and whats your humidity......etc? Best of luck......

Thanks J man. no nutes. I have 8 26w 6500k fluros, temp is 79-81 humidity has been at or under 60%. I have a fan on them as well.

my reference to 48 oz of water was to flush the plants so the runoff is not 7.8ph. I am worried about the rockwool being to wet. I can deal with drying that. I think the most important issue is the resevoir being at a ph 2x what I water with.

Sorry - I misunderstood, thought it was a soil grow. Are you growing in hydroton? If that is the case your numbers are correct with flushing. Many would disagree but I'm not a fan of distilled water. Did you happen to check the ph of yoour run off as an example prior to growing in it? You also may want to consider feeding them. Regardless of age many strains are vigorous enough to take some early nutes. Mild but specific - high in micro-nutrients with potassium and phosphorus. Let us know how it goes.

thanks Jman. I finally had a chance to look a little bit. From what I read, I think it just over watering. I have to get my nutes for when they get bigger. I will look for something mild, like you described. Thanks for the help.

Latest posts

Back