photo cycle question 6-on 2-off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Hemp Goddess said:
IMO, it is silly to put a space heater into a vegging space to heat when the lights are out--just keep the lights on 24/7and/or get more lights in there. That space heater is going to gobble up 2-4 times as many watts as your light and do nothing for the growth of your plants.

If you change out ALL your incandescent light bulbs for CFLs, you may save enough electricity that you see little or no rise in your electricity bill. There are other things you can do to lower your power bill, like keep it a bit warmer in the summer and cooler in the winter, turn your water heater down a few degrees, take shorter showers, actually TURN OFF appliances/devices not in use, etc, etc.

Turn your water heater down?

<< Plumber

Sure it takes a little more elect. to keep that water a little hotter, but when you use your mixer in your shower/ sink the hotter your water is the less of it you need to mix with the cold to get your desired temp.

Turn your water heater UP NOT DOWN.

Unless you rarely shower/wash dishes/ anything that has to do with hot water.

THG that statement you made is 100% false.

Icex420 said:
Turn your water heater down?

<< Plumber

Sure it takes a little more elect. to keep that water a little hotter, but when you use your mixer in your shower/ sink the hotter your water is the less of it you need to mix with the cold to get your desired temp.

Turn your water heater UP NOT DOWN.

Unless you rarely shower/wash dishes/ anything that has to do with hot water.

THG that statement you made is 100% false.

Are you saying that you are a plumber or that a plumber made that statement?

Sorry, but I stand by my statement.

I AM a plumber.

It makes total sence... why would you stand by your statement?

Do you know that fixtures use a mixer? Well they do. And if you have some really hot water it takes less of it to mix with cold. therefore less water to reheat.

Do you understand?

The hotter you set a water heat the more it will cycle to keep the water hot. Even when you do not use it a hot water tank turns its self on to keep the water at the temp you have set. The older the tank the more it will cycle to keep the water at temp. Cold water intering the tank will cause the heating element to come on quicker due to the water temp dropping.

I promise you, if you use a decent amout of hot water, then its more energy efficent to keep your heater at a higher temperature. You will use less hot water the hotter it is.

Renai ftw

teddy d said:
this might sound stupid, but could i run 6 hours on and 2 hours off continuously for a total of 18hours of light within a 24 hour period?

the only reason i would do this is to control the temp during down time.im in a basement in the winter without heat and the light is my only heat sorce... 18/6

i dont want to run my 400w mh 24/7 to reduce my energy usage and electric bill.

my thought is that it will confuse the plant..... will it? or is this a possible?

thanks

What's the measurements of your grow box?
And what temps you got now?

You could cut the ventilation off for a short while so that the fans turn off about a half hour before lights out.
The plant needs at the least 18 hours of continous light.

ozzydiodude said:
The hotter you set a water heat the more it will cycle to keep the water hot. Even when you do not use it a hot water tank turns its self on to keep the water at the temp you have set. The older the tank the more it will cycle to keep the water at temp. Cold water intering the tank will cause the heating element to come on quicker due to the water temp dropping.

Exactly

GeezerBudd said:
What's the measurements of your grow box?
And what temps you got now?

You could cut the ventilation off for a short while so that the fans turn off about a half hour before lights out.
The plant needs at the least 18 hours of continous light.

right now its just 4 sheets of standard white poster board, or foam board (foam core) whatever you want to call it its prob about 2 square feet and 3 feet tall with a little computer fan at the top of the wall, so i dont blow cold air directly on the plant. it runs at a consistant 75 F degrees. when the light is off for an hour it drops to 60
2 hours its in the 50s-40s and so on its been around 10 outside, well below freezing

i think i will just try to turn off appliances that are on standby like the tv at night and run the grow box 23hours so the fan gets a little break

teddy d said:
right now its just 4 sheets of standard white poster board, or foam board (foam core) whatever you want to call it its prob about 2 square feet and 3 feet tall with a little computer fan at the top of the wall, so i dont blow cold air directly on the plant. it runs at a consistant 75 F degrees. when the light is off for an hour it drops to 60
2 hours its in the 50s-40s and so on its been around 10 outside, well below freezing

i think i will just try to turn off appliances that are on standby like the tv at night and run the grow box 23hours so the fan gets a little break

Sounds like a plan. Is there any way you could duct some warm air to the box from upstairs?
Oh yeah its 10 here also-supposed to break by the 15th.
Just frikkin beautiful-lol
:)
Gb

well i could prob duct some air from the vent coming off the boiler. im gonna need to think of a plan in the next month or so because im gonna have a hard time flowering this thing without heat.

Latest posts

Back