Plant growth?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Back-packer

Reaction score
I started my plants from seeds at the begining of this month. They are currently only an inch and a half tall. Is this about right, or am I doing something wrong? Im currently using fluros at about 4" from the top of my plants, but I have a 1000wt MH, how big does the plant need to be before I cranck up the MH?

sounds like theres an underlying problem- plants a month tall should be ALOT bigger! are you overwatering? ventilation? what type of flos? what strain of seeds? theres alot that could be wrong....

Im not overwatering or underwatering, I check it multiple times a day and make sure that the soil is only moist to the touch. I have pretty good ventilation and am working on making it better. I have two four foot balasts with sun light and aquarium lights. My seeds are Indigo, a indica strain I bought thru Kind Seeds Co. I have yet to fertilize but I didn't know if it was too early.

The soil is black gold organic soil with a great mixture of perlite, guano, worm castings, and all the good stuff. My grow room is currently sitting at about 77 degrees F.

Obviously something is wrong. If you have good growing conditions all around, you should be getting 1 to 4 inches of growth every day depending on the size of your plant. Obviously it can't photosynthesize very fast if it doesn't have a large surface area of leaves. But the plant should be pretty big by the time 3 weeks rolls around, so there is obviously something wrong. Does it look healthy, any yellow spots? Does it have a pretty even color?

The plant looks perfect, absolutly no yellow spotts, and it has a beautiful green color not too dark not too light. Maybe I should start fert. and turn on my MH?

got pics? whats the ph of the soil??? something is up because 1-2 inches in a month....maybe its the genetics? start some fresh seeds from that cross agian and some new genetics and see how you look....if the ones from the previous batch are sutnted agian then you know its the seeds.... get fresh soil too...

you said you check the soil multiple times a day, does that mean you water once or more a day? i was having this same exact problem but my cilprit was having my lights to close.

I don't have pics yet, but I'll take some tonight and post them tomarrow. I don't know the ph of the soil, but I haven't added anything to the soil that would have changed the pH, except water. And NO, I don't water them more than once a day, what I meant is I pay close attention to the soil to make sure to keep it at about the same moistness all the time, I only water like once every 2-3 days depending. It's not that they aren't growing, but rather they are growing very slowly. At what height does my plant need to be before I can start using my 1000wt MH?

Shouldn't worry about too much light with the flouros, my seedlings are about 1-2" away. Mine seem to like water about every 3 days in Fox Farm, there are a few pics in my grow journal. As for the halide, I'm still waiting for mine to get here, so can't say for sure. A few of my seedlings are a little behind, but only a couple of days I think.

trillions of atoms said:
got pics? whats the ph of the soil??? something is up because 1-2 inches in a month....maybe its the genetics? start some fresh seeds from that cross agian and some new genetics and see how you look....if the ones from the previous batch are sutnted agian then you know its the seeds.... get fresh soil too...

That's a great idea, I think I'll go ahead and germinate some more seeds. But the genetics of the seeds should be good I bought them from a good trustable site.

On a different note, I have yet to find an answer as to when my plant is big enough to handle the 1000wt MH that I'm patiently waiting to cranck on. If someone could please tell me when I'll know my plant is ready for the big boy.

You could crank on the MH any time, but amke sure you start her out at a few feet away at first and then every day bring it a little closer. About 18 inches is good, no closer. Just cup your hand over the top of the plant and leave it there for a minute or so. If the light is comfortable on the back of your hand then it's good for the plant too.

Keep in mind cranking the MH on at this early in the game is a big waste of electricity. Your flourecents should be fine for some time as long as they are close enough.

I know you stated you water just fine, but how much water do you use every watering. Your plant should have a wet spell and then a dry spell. You can judge this by picking up the plant and telling by it's weight. Usually a good watering so that the water comes out the bottom holes a little is sufficient. Then let it go light in weight, and only them water it again. Do this but never let the plants droop.

I hope this helps and good luck. Keep us posted on how things go.

TGT

Thanks TGT, that was very helpful. I guess I do need to back off on the watering a little bit, but I only water my plant when the soil on top is dry to the touch. Is that too much?

It's tough to not water when your new at this, but in my experience, they really shoot up during a dry spell. Right now, mine are going 3 days between waterings in 6" pots. Surface of the soil gets bone dry.

Good Luck

Latest posts

Back