Plant stakes next to stem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the preferred product to put next to the stem to support the plant as it grows taller?
I’ve used thin bamboo stakes I got at Home Depot. I’ve seen people use tomato cages too.

I'm only roughly 4 to 5 weeks into this grow and some of the plants have grown to near 3ft tall.
If you have some pictures, we all enjoy a look at plants. Having your lights closer to the plants will minimize lanky plants. Bluer light will make for stockier plants too.

If you have some pictures, we all enjoy a look at plants. Having your lights closer to the plants will minimize lanky plants. Bluer light will make for stockier plants too.
I'm out now and can't get any pictures atm, I'm doing white widow auto's and am surprised with the rate of growth as I'm a new grower compared to what i see on the internet!

I'm using 2 ac infinity 2x4 lights near the top of the tent and the stems down low are good just towards the top is my concern with the way they are growing.

Indoors I like to try to keep my plants as short as I can before they start flowering since they usually stretch(though I am not an auto grower). The rule of thumb for light height is if you can hold you hand under the light at a certain distance without it feeling really hot, that is a good ‘fly height’(height above the plant tops). Lowering your lights should be done in incremental steps though. When you get some pictures, we may have some suggestions.

Indoors I like to try to keep my plants as short as I can before they start flowering since they usually stretch(though I am not an auto grower). The rule of thumb for light height is if you can hold you hand under the light at a certain distance without it feeling really hot, that is a good ‘fly height’(height above the plant tops). Lowering your lights should be done in incremental steps though. When you get some pictures, we may have some suggestions.
Ok, I'm only doing auto's this round being new to growing so i can get the hang of things! My next grow I'm planning photo period. I'm running 78 and 65% and watering nightly before bed and lights out and the plants seems to love it.

Ok then I only had to stake two of my autos up and not till they were heavy with buds. I just used bamboo stakes when they need it

Attachments

• IMG-2406 - Copy.jpg
    IMG-2406 - Copy.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-2408 - Copy.jpg
    IMG-2408 - Copy.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
The tall one is an outlier(a different phenotype than the others). Looks like all your plants are very happy and you should get quite a nice harvest. If it were me, I would probably do as you were thinking and put the tall one outside to see how it does. Or you could leave it in the tent since I think the stretch is likely done(as long as you are not seeing light stress on the top buds of that plant). It looks like you have plenty of height in your tent.

Latest posts

Back