PPM and TDS Question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bznuts

Reaction score
so i found out that the N-P-K readings on the fert bottle are not really what one should be considering, but rather the TDS, which is measured in PMM. nobody ever told me this! :shocked: :shocked:

i located a PPM fert calcualator on the web http://www.firstrays.com/fertcalc.htm and determined that i am feeding my ladies about 552 ppm of TDS (total desolved solids) at meal time.

Botanicare Pure Blend Pro Grow Veg is what i am using. it has an NPK reading of 3-1.5-4, a recomended use of 1 ounce (30 ml) ((6 tsp)) per gallon. this calculates to:

TDS

PPM Nitrogen- 237
PPM Phosphorus- 52
PPM Potassium- 263
= 552 ppm of TDS

my gurls are in full veg and i was wondering if that is a good amount of TDS for them? in just a few minutes of research i found varying opinions, from 100 all the way to 1000 PPM of TDS.

using the ppm calculator you can see what amounts of TDS your plants are recieving (if this is not already known) by punching in your ferts NPK value along with the amount of tsp's per gallon.

you may also work backwards by choosing a desired TDS, along with your fert's NPK reading, to determine how many tsp are necessary to successfully reach the desired TDS.

so, what were your results?
for experienced growers, what has worked for you in the past?
any info would be great, and thanks for your time.

:peace:

ime all strains like diff ppms to a degree. but i feel that with anything over 1000 ppm's is risky with any strain your not familiar with. the farther over 1000 the riskier. with that said, i just bumped my ppm's up from 1150 to 1530 last night, but they took 1150 with no prob so i bumped it up a little. plus im getting ready to enter week5 of flower. i am also using several different nutes in small amounts...dont know if that makes it easier on plants or not. best thing to do is bump it up slowly...and watch plants very carefully when you do...and prepare to flush or dilute if; leaves get yellow/burnt tips, leaves curl under, or other signs your plants aren't happy..IMO. good luck and thanks for that ppm calc. guess i should tell i do hydro/rockwool

hey thanks for your help. well now with your input, plus the fact that my plants show zero signs of over fertilizing, i think i will pump it up a few notches. maybe slowly go up, till i see the slightest of tip burn. (the method my father swears by) and lyfr seems to adopt

the strains im running are blueberry x white widow, cinderella 99 x sweet tooth, and sudden impact. all from seed. i also have a few late started clones that i just started to feed, and they are right around 250 ppm.
the bbww c99s and the si are huge, some going on 9 feet! some of the stocks are as thick as my wrist.

does this mean that i can give the plant more food because it is so big? can it handle more because of its enormous size?[/B] also keep in mind that my goal is to produce a product in the end that does not smell nor taste of chemicals in any way.

lyfr, when you introduce that much to a plant does the product come out "clean"? will i be ok as long as i give em all a nice flush right before they begin to flower, and then maybe before i pick the fruit?[/I]

i just want the best for my ladies! thangs again

bznuts said:
till i see the slightest of tip burn. (the method my father swears by) and lyfr seems to adopt

does this mean that i can give the plant more food because it is so big? can it handle more because of its enormous size?[/B] also keep in mind that my goal is to produce a product in the end that does not smell nor taste of chemicals in any way.

lyfr, when you introduce that much to a plant does the product come out "clean"? will i be ok as long as i give em all a nice flush right before they begin to flower, and then maybe before i pick the fruit?[/I]

i just want the best for my ladies! thangs again
i didnt want to say anything cause im not sure it would be good advise...but before i got my ppm stick i relied on slight tip burn as my measurement...im still not happy til i burn the tips alittle (by the way they took the 1550 great!). as far as end product...2 weeks bofore harvest i start running a select 400ppm's ( basically a couple additives ) and then pure water with a little..75ml or so for 20 gal.. clear-ex (ive used plain water too with no real diff ) for last 4-5 days before chop. i also flush before flower and usually the third to forth week of flower. if you got some time, click on my journal below...i give a very detailed list of what i add to res and resulting ppm's, and you can see how i over did it once, 1800ppm's:eek: i still let em drink it but got the claw (leafs curl down,looks like claw) so i backed way off and started bumpin it up again. your Dad rocks, the tip burn method is way old school and i dont hear about it much!:hubba:

:cool2: cool thanks for the info. i will check out your journal for sure.

Latest posts

Back