prepping kitchen scraps for plant

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

potplusguitar

Reaction score
so im wondering if it would be good to throw some banana and apple peels and egg shells in to my soil for added nutrients.. good idea? if so how so i prepare them for the soil.

I wouldnt just throw food items on indoor soil. It is most likley to rot and attract bugs. Its better to compost it outside and use that soil for a future grow. But the egg shells crushed up fine would work. But make sure there cleaned first.

potplusguitar said:
so im wondering if it would be good to throw some banana and apple peels and egg shells in to my soil for added nutrients.. good idea? if so how so i prepare them for the soil.
i like to grow organic myself and have prepared my soil over the last 3 months i used all the kitchen scraps and let them all break down in the compost heap and now my seedlings are thriveing i have now added bananna peels finely chopped and heaps of cucumber peels as well ( in fact i used the whole bannanna and cucumber finely chopped and egg shells for added calcium these additives are now composting for 3 months for my flower cycle and i will put my girls in the ground with all the compost ! hope this helps ! peace take care ! yes very good idea ! very high pk in cucumbers and bannanas !!

Get yourself a worm box setup and they'll turn all your kitchen veggie scraps and roots from past grows into rich useful worm castings that you'll be able to mix into your soil.

Good Luck!

If you do that you gonna atract bugs to your plants and you dont want that. Buy a compost tumbeler or make your own. Use fresh lawn cuttings and make a tea very high in nitrogen. Your plants will love it:)

potplusguitar said:

I'm starting to think you're a trouble maker.;)

I startee reading this thread assuming you had a dog named plant

potplusguitar said:
troublemaker? just curious and wanting to learn...

I'm sure Pencilhead doesn't mean anything personal... Every once in a while on the forums we get some dude - probably 3 joints into his latest Trainwreck harvest - who throws everyone a curveball with a wacky post... and this thread does sound a bit wacky, doesn't it?

I remember a post on OG back in the day where someone said that every time he stirred his nutes in a bucket close to the plants with a brass spoon several plant's leaves would dip slightly and those plants that did this turned out to be MALE! Good one, huh? He had a few guys going around in circles for days... It KILLED me! :p

Any-hoo... composting, composting, composting...

Good Luck!:cool:

Latest posts

Back