Preserving Peppers and Chillis

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorn

Micro Queen
Reaction score
Hello my dearests,

I really need some advice on preserving my harvest of Jalapenos, Lantern Chillis and Habeneros. Mum said freeze them, but she wasn't sure if this would lose their potency and flavour. I have SOOOOO many I really need to do something soon :eek:

I've left a lot of Jalapenos to go red and WOW they look DELICIOUS!

Thanks in advance :)

Try this link Thorn. Might help you out.

chillies-down-under.com/preserving-chillies.html

i like to pickel mine.i soak them in pickling lime over night and then rinse off and soak for about 2 hrs. in cold water with lots of ice in the water.it keeps them crisp and tasty.i then put them in qt jars and put a tsp of salt to each jar and fill with vinegar.works for me.

thanks guys for those.

Runby, I like it.. "It is universally agreed that the best approach to harvesting your chillies is what is known as a 'staggered harvest'. Sorry, that doesn't mean it involves alcohol." hehe :D

good morning Thorn.:) . i have so many peppers every year. after we've canned all we need, and want, they continue to grow on. what i do with my chilis', is to take a needle and thread, and string them. poke the needle through the stem only, or they will rot. string about 4 foot of them, then tie the ends togeather, and hang them in a window to dry. you can hang them indeffinately to dry. once dried, i grind them up, and put them in parmesian cheese shakers (stinky cheese). if you like the 'spice of life' with your dinner as i often do, just a sprinkle on your dinner will be sufficient. i have a name for it, but don't think it's appropriate here.:hubba: .
oh, and don't rub your eyes' after grinding without washing hands at least 7 times.:p ...bb...

If your going to pickle anything use ice cold pickling vinegar, it keeps them crisp, it doesnt work with pickled eggs though :rofl:

When you have finished the jar of pickled whatevers do not throw the vinegar away, its fabbo on fish n chips ;)

I like that idea banjo! Think we shall try a bit of allsorts, some freezing some drying etc. Don't know if I got the right stuff for pickling.

When they are drying, don't they start to go bad inside?

I got some okras I did freezes them in refrigerator.. , lima beans all that..

they did good job.. just ziplock bag and freeze it.. they will do good job..

you did good job.. you can sell jalapenos totally legal. man...

thanks guys and gals I will try to get some new pics up of the red jalapenos soon. I haven't checked out in the greenhouse the last few days and I know we had some frost so I really need to check them tomorrow :)

thanks lisa, yea that is a very good site!

I'm gonna pick out the best looking chillis for drying and most of the rest I will chop up and freeze so they will be easy to use as and when I need them :)

Hey everyone,

we are just sorting through some of the chillis now and picking the best looking ones to dry. Can I dry the jalapenos too or will it not work with them?

Yes, you can. Here is the site for you.

CHECK IT OUT-jalapenomadness.com/preserve_jalapenos.html

Latest posts

Back