problem in the grow room

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineharvest

Reaction score
Some of the plants in the shed have started to show a lot of dead spots on the leaves and Im not really sure what is going on. It started with just one plant a few weeks ago and now a few more are starting to do the same thing. The funny thing is, it is only happening to my buddies plants and not mine. They are being fed the same Fox Farms nutes and the same water. My plants are bigger so I have been feeding them more than the smaller ones. Hopefully the pics will be good enough for someone to tell what is going on. All opinions are appreciated.

IMG_1498.JPG

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1507.JPG

IMG_1509.JPG

IMG_1510.JPG

It has been starting at the bottom of the plant and working its way up. The leaves turn yellow first and then they start have a bunch of dead spots and then the leaf curls up and dies. Im thinking its a nute lockout but I really have no idea.

Bugs, get your scope out and check top and bottom of the leaves!

What kind of bugs are you thinking? I have had spider mites and I know its not them. My plants are a foot away from these infected plants and I have no signs of this problem on any of my plants. Ill post a few pics of my plants so you can see the difference.

IMG_1500.JPG

IMG_1503.JPG

IMG_1504.JPG

ok no mites you may need to check fer root rot, mold or maybe some fungus in the soil if all look good start flushing. Others will chime in with more expirence in this. It looks like a black bug prob i had on my sweet thai basil spice plants, but mj works a little different.

I have a big ol box fan blowing on them.

Im growing in a shed that was built horribly so I would not doubt the bug theory but I really just dont think it is bugs.

Are your buddy's plants in the same type of soil as yours?

same soil, same nutes, same water, and both under hps. I am using five gallon buckets and his are three gallons I think.

Never mentioned ph. The leave curl and necrosis implied nutes - so I'd start there. Older fan leaves are being effected as the plant pulls nutes from them to compensate for the defienciency. Because of the movement of nutes within the plant (as older leaves become more necrotic) we know the defecient nute is mobile. Potassium is a good start. Symtoms ussually include yellow leaves, necrotic and brown spots, leave curl and occasionally stiff and brittle growth. When plants are in a not so great environment (like a shed) they frequently must use extra potassium and phosphorus to fight of local disease and mold that may be present. IMO a good flush with a balenced nute follow up would improve things drastically. Most importantly - CHECK YOUR PH. Your pics of the overall plant look great - hope they turn around man. best of luck

jmansweed said:
Never mentioned ph. The leave curl and necrosis implied nutes - so I'd start there. Older fan leaves are being effected as the plant pulls nutes from them to compensate for the defienciency. Because of the movement of nutes within the plant (as older leaves become more necrotic) we know the defecient nute is mobile. Potassium is a good start. Symtoms ussually include yellow leaves, necrotic and brown spots, leave curl and occasionally stiff and brittle growth. When plants are in a not so great environment (like a shed) they frequently must use extra potassium and phosphorus to fight of local disease and mold that may be present. IMO a good flush with a balenced nute follow up would improve things drastically. Most importantly - CHECK YOUR PH. Your pics of the overall plant look great - hope they turn around man. best of luck

So you think they are lacking bloom nutes? The first pics are not the same plants as the pictures I posted later in the thread. The first pics of the fan leaves are pics of my buddies plants and then the pics of the nice looking plants are my plants that havent been effected at all. So basically my plants look awesome and his look like crap.

Okay - I misunderstood. Yours do look good. Your buddy's ph is most likely to low.

Is it possible for his ph to be lower or higher than my ph? Wouldnt they be the same or atleast very close? Ive never had to raise my ph, what do you recommend?

I was just going to ask about pot size before rereading. The smaller pot could have a higher ph as ppm increases and salt build-up occurs. Obviously this is contradictory to what I mentioned earlier about a low ph but I'm still catching up. Nute lock-out occurs w/ high or low ph. Identifying which nute will obviously lead us in the right direction. I think you said the problem has occured from the bottom up, which implies generally that nitrogen could be the issue. When Nitrogen is not properly applied at a younger stage it can easily lead to later emerging defeciencies - maybe your buddy didn't add enough initially before passing them on. Regardless of what the problem is here, the solution is the same. I'd flush heavy with ph balenced water only, then follow up with something relatively balenced. Spray and grow makes a great zinc/iron foliar application I might a spray afterward also to help chlorophyll production and to green things up. Sorry for bouncing all over with the ph thing - Sunday duuude. Hope it works out

I use general hydroponics ph up and down. The stuff works instantly and effeciently. Although it's not organic you need so little I have to recommend it.

If I give a good flush would it be best to hit it with some nutes or give it some ph up or down?

I think I need a ph meter and then go from there. Any recommendations on a reliable cheap ph meter?

Latest posts

Back