Protecting my ballast

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoneylove

Reaction score
There is a product that will stop the electicity for 15 minutes (maybe you can control how long, not sure) if the power goes out so you dont kill your ballast. Anyone know what that is called? Not the easiest thing in the world to google for. I swear I used to have it in a subscribed thread but I couldnt find and **** it I'm gonna smoke.

I would guess its some form of energy regulator with storage capacitors, you could make youre own with capacitors if u know what youre doing >.< I could do with one of them tbh as I have lost a few digi's due to power cuts

Get a serge protector battery back up they back up between 3 and 12 to 15 min depending on brand and stuff. Some are as cheap as 40euro or so or there about 50 bucks in the states

If your trying to prevent "hot starts" this is what you want.
hxxp://www.titancontrols.net/products/lighting/hades-1.aspx

That's it, but they are available for much less $$$$.

Quite common in SoFl for use on AC's. Saves the compressor. I'll try and think of what they are actually called, but $80 is a bit much. $25 or so is a bit more like it.

Wet

I think this may be what you are looking for: hxxp://www.plantlightinghydroponics.com/titan-controls-hades-15-minute-on-delay-light-control-p-3454.html
I need to get a few of these myself :)

That is what I'm looking for, preventing hot starts. Seems quite valuable. If anyone finds a different version I would still be interested but I am gonna do some googling of my own. Seems odd there is just the one version. Thanks for the help!

This is the only other one I was able to find.

hxxp://www.greners.com/cap-hlc-2e-hot-start-preventer.html

Yeah I thought that CAP made one of those delay starters. I was looking for it when I found the Titan. The Titans are probably the better quality but considerably more expense. I am definitely going to buy some for myself. :)

Yea the Titan is 53 bucks so quite costly a backup batteryis about 49.95. But they w do the same but the battery backup gives u a plus u wont go dark for 15 min in the event of a surge or flicker so that's one downfall to this. But to each there own.

CubanTokker420 said:
Yea the Titan is 53 bucks so quite costly a backup batteryis about 49.95. But they w do the same but the battery backup gives u a plus u wont go dark for 15 min in the event of a surge or flicker so that's one downfall to this. But to each there own.

Your going to need more than a battery for a back up when the lights go out.
And unless it comes on instantly or uses a delay timer your going to have problems with the hot restrike.

Hey grow dude thanks for the info but help me out cuz I thought the hot start up was the ballast turning back on while its hot. I was under the impression that if it cools down and then turns on its not a hot start anymore so yes the battery back up wont keep it on for long time actually only minutes but it will prevent the ballast from turning off and back on hot. Now the hot start thing only stops it from turning on so it gives it a 15 min delay if the power does flicker. Am I
right?

CubanTokker420 said:
Hey grow dude thanks for the info but help me out cuz I thought the hot start up was the ballast turning back on while its hot. I was under the impression that if it cools down and then turns on its not a hot start anymore so yes the battery back up wont keep it on for long time actually only minutes but it will prevent the ballast from turning off and back on hot. Now the hot start thing only stops it from turning on so it gives it a 15 min delay if the power does flicker. Am I
right?

First Im not sure what kind of battery backup you would use that could run a ballast.
But if it didn't come on instantly then it would be trying to restart a hot bulb.
Now as long as it kept the light on it would work, but can you buy such a thing for 49.99 ?

Yea growdude that's very helpful. Thank you. And yes any battery back up that supports the amps and watts for corresponding ballast will keep the light and ballast on for 15 minutes or so. I use it where I live because every time it rains the lights flicker and got out for like 30 sec causing my light to have a hot start. Ever since I put in the battery back up the light never shuts off thus preventing a hot start. But I will say if the power goes out for long time then yes u will lose power. But it works for me and I hope it can work for others
Thanks

CubanTokker420 said:
Yea growdude that's very helpful. Thank you. And yes any battery back up that supports the amps and watts for corresponding ballast will keep the light and ballast on for 15 minutes or so. I use it where I live because every time it rains the lights flicker and got out for like 30 sec causing my light to have a hot start. Ever since I put in the battery back up the light never shuts off thus preventing a hot start. But I will say if the power goes out for long time then yes u will lose power. But it works for me and I hope it can work for others
Thanks

Cool, I may have to get one.

How do you have it set up? is this an "uninteruptable power supply" unit that is powered with batteries? What size batteries?

Hey guys. I have a 400 watt switchable ballast, a small Ac unit ,a air pump and and 6 inch inline fan with a carbon filter and 2 small moving fans in a 3x3x6 tent
My battery back up rates for 3 plugs of 20 amp and a total of 3000 watts. It's got a lithium battery and it only kicks the battery on if the power flickers or shuts off. I have all my setup running on it and it works great. Maybe if u have bigger lights u might need one for each ballast not sure. My op is small but this has helped me a lot because power flickers at least once a week or so and I haven't gone dark at all. Longest power outage I've seen was about 7 minutes and everything was running fine. Stayed on and had no dark time.

Latest posts

Back