question - first attempt outdoors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jackn

Reaction score
Hi all
This is my first post...greetings from Down Under!
I was wondering if I could get some advice on the condition and progress of my first outdoor plant? The seeds were just random from a friend.
They have been outside 24/7 and get around 5 hrs of sunshine a day. It's in the low 20s celsius in Sydney this time of year.
The plant in the photo is 5-6 weeks old...reading through other posts, I feel it's making slow progress. Soil is good quality potting mix. I have used small amounts of general use fertilizer, and water with a light spray each day.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
jackn

Plant 007 (Medium).jpg

Plant 009 (Medium).jpg

hi jackn,
Your plants look like they could do with a bit more light exposure maybe a flouro or sommting youll need more hours of light to get good growth

What you have is just over a weeks progress... Get a couple floro bulbs over it and you will see a dramatic growth rate increase.

I'm not sure about Australia, but here in N. America the OD season is about over. People are harvesting now.
You may need to consider moving them into an indoor grow with florous or HID lights.
Winter is creeping up and the temps will drop.

heeee hee..it's "spring time" in the southern hemisphere mutt. Just approaching the growing season. (That whirlpool in the toilet when they flush spins totally backwards too)

jackn...as much direct exposure to sunshine as possible. Though your plants progress does seem pretty slow in development, as the days lengthen and temps rise, it will increase. You have in excess of 3 months vegging time before flowering will begin. Plenty of time to outgrow that container..;)

huh, I thought winter time we are farther away from the sun? I'm confused. I guess I better do some reading. Now I feel like an idiot. LOL

Yeah, we are... but the bottom half is closer.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. And yes, summer is just about to start in Sydney, with the longest day being Dec 22. So hopefully I'll see an increase in growth rate over the next month or two. Just hope it's a female as I've only one plant left now...think the birds took a fancy to the others before I built the cage!
cheers
jackn

hey jack...if it were "me", I'd get a few more seeds cracked. Youve plenty of time, and the odds of success are pretty slim with only one plant to rely on.

Hick, I think you're right... I've planted a few more just in case. It's really only an 'experiment' but if it works out then happy days!

Can you advise on when they should be ready to harvest? I know you mentioned I have in excess of 3 months before flowering, but if I plant a couple of new ones will they catch up on the existing one, and how long does flowering take?
Thanks again
jack

your longest day of the year falls in late December(dec.22), 4-6 weeks later, you should start seeing onset of flowering. Another 6-8 weeks to harvest.

hey mutt i was lmaorof. dont feel bad good buddy i thought the same thang lol. as a matter of fact i figured it was summer in china right now .

Guys, I have another question (most likely a silly one) - when you say 'as much sunshine as possible' does it have to be in direct sunlight? My plant, because it's on a balcony, gets the morning sun from about 5.00am to noon, then as the sun passes over, is shaded until darkness untill around 7.00pm.
(I would prefer not to move it from it's current location owing to privacy reasons).

jackn said:
Guys, I have another question (most likely a silly one) - when you say 'as much sunshine as possible' does it have to be in direct sunlight? My plant, because it's on a balcony, gets the morning sun from about 5.00am to noon, then as the sun passes over, is shaded until darkness untill around 7.00pm.
(I would prefer not to move it from it's current location owing to privacy reasons).
That's really not enough. You need to get them more if ya can.

tbg is correct , if not you will have puny buds.

Hi guys
Here an updated photo taken today. Progress is slow, but getting better. What do you think?
cheers

Plant 23 Oct 2006 001 (Medium).jpg

Plant 23 Oct 2006 002 (Medium).jpg

Your babies are looking good just keep doing what your doing and you should be fine. ;)

Hey dude if you want that plant to grow bigger you should transplant that sucker into the biggest pot you can find and fill it with premium soil mix, add a little sand to the soil as well as a few worms. Transplant in the cool of the evening and use an additive from any nursery that limits transplant shock, and when it gets real hot stick it in direct sun and only water in the cool evenings. Do this and you'll create a monster...;)

G'day detective et al
I wish I had read your post yesterday:(
Yesterday I decided to bore a few more holes in the bottom of my pot (it wasn't a proper drainage pot). Anyway it cracked apart and I had to transplant my plant. It's not looking too good today unfortunately. The leaaes are bending down and dying. I took a few snaps this evening. Is there any hope for it? It's in premium soil mix (with no extra nutrients). This is 8 weeks progress. Bummer.

Plant 31 Oct 2006 005 (Medium).jpg

Plant 31 Oct 2006 004 (Medium).jpg

Plant 31 Oct 2006 003 (Medium).jpg

Latest posts

Back