question on changing photoperiod while in vegetive state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juice meat

Reaction score
i have 10 plants that are 5 weeks old under our veg light, and they have been under light 24 hours a day since topping the soil. I've read that the plants will show their pre-flowers if i change the photoperiod to 18 hours of light. will the transition of 24 hours of light to 18 cause any negitive effects? also - is this ok to do even if i don't plan on immediately forcing them to flower?

what im out to do is find the best way of showing the sex as early as possible so im not wasting nutes, ect..

once i change the photoperiod to 18 hours, and sex is distinguished, would i change back to a 24 hour photoperiod to keep vegging, or stay with 18?

sorry this is probably confusing. any help would be greatly appreciated

You can force a plant to show sex using 12/12 lighting then put it back to 24/0 and it will revert to veg again, this does not harm your plants, it does put them back a couple of weeks though.

juice meat said:
i have 10 plants that are 5 weeks old under our veg light, and they have been under light 24 hours a day since topping the soil. I've read that the plants will show their pre-flowers if i change the photoperiod to 18 hours of light. will the transition of 24 hours of light to 18 cause any negitive effects? also - is this ok to do even if i don't plan on immediately forcing them to flower?

what im out to do is find the best way of showing the sex as early as possible so im not wasting nutes, ect..

once i change the photoperiod to 18 hours, and sex is distinguished, would i change back to a 24 hour photoperiod to keep vegging, or stay with 18?

sorry this is probably confusing. any help would be greatly appreciated

I have never read that putting your plants into 18/6 will show preflowers. Where did you get this info?

I have found that different strains show sex at different times--some not until they are in 12/12. I'm never too quick to try and root out the males. I have been fooled more than once. Unless you have a very large grow, the nutes you are using on 5 week old plants is fairly small.

Any method you use--either HIE or Growdude--will take time. Forcing plants to flower and then revegging will slow the growth for several weeks and IMHO stresses the plant. If you use clones, they take about 2 weeks to root and then about 2 weeks to show sex. How long before you plan on putting your plants into 12/12? You may be better off just to wait it out, unless space will be a major problem.

see now thats crazy.. every one of those answers are right.. but they are all different.. wow that blows my mind.lol sorry to many practice ripps this morning.

Growdude said:
Take clone from each plant and put the directly into 12/12 this is will show the sex of the donner plant.

Avoids any stress or delays from revegging.

:goodposting:

Latest posts

Back