Refridgerating clones

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well guys I'm sorry to say that this experiment is not going to take place now. I went to check on my baggy in the crisper drawer, and it had somehow fell onto it's side, and the water that had been in the corner of the bag, was sucked up by the leaf matter...turning them mushy and brown. So the extended fridge time experiment will not be happening for a while.

For any of you that want to try this though, I can honestly say that I have had success with keeping them viable in the fridge for a little over 5 weeks and still able to get roots. This experiment would have been trying with cuts that had been in the fridge over 2 months...for now, even though they looked fresh and green up until this mishap, we will still never know if they would have rooted or not.

Sorry to get anyones hopes up...will try it again at a later point.

I still have mine in from the other day.
Gotta go check.

Gb

Well, It's been 10 days. I checked on mine yesterday, there was alot of moisture in the bag so I purged it several times and put some CO2 in.
Actually more moisture, but not alot in the bottom of the bag.
Everything seems still crispy-like good lettuce-lol
:)
Gb

yeah man...you should have no problems as long as you plant them within a months time...or a little longer. I have done it like this for yrs with no problems...I just wasn't sure what would happen if I took it beyond that 4-5 week range...are you planning to plant them in the 4-5 week range, or go longer? Cause I don't know what you will get after 5 weeks.

Well checked again today.
Alot of moisture on the sides of the bag, but not puddle in the bottom.
I am suprised because I even spaced them out-got busy with things for a few days.
They are still good and crisp.
I purged the bag several times and put back in and I left the bag open just a hair.
I've had these in since 2-13-10.
Although I added a few more a few days after, but they all look good so far.
Later.
Gb

well not that I can guarantee anything anyway...but I have only kept them for a little over a month without incedent...I think mine would have gone longer had they not tipped. But if your wanting to be sure to get roots...I mean if your counting on these you may want to try rooting one...I'd hate to see you lose the strain...lol...Like I said b4 I have done it for a little over a month and had them root...but after that I dunno!

Well, mine are still in good condition-They have been in since 2-14-10..
Almost 30 days.
They did get a little soaked because I put a moist paper towel in a few days ago-they were way too wet, so I have removed the towel, pursed the bag and sealed loosely.
:aok:
Gb

GeezerBudd said:
I can't remember who or when they posted about this, but, It was about being able to keep cuttings in the refridgerator for a while.
I've been stoned a few times since-lol
Thanks for any help on this.
Gb
stick the cuttings in a glass and change the water every few days.

GB dont let them get wet theyll die, i suggest that when you remove them for cloning keep them in their cold water and put another cold gallon from fridge with them in a closed box until they warm up slowly, ive sen em wilt and die when put straight into warm water

I just took 15 clones from 4 plants which are going into flowering immediately. 6 went into the clone dome, the other 9, 3 of each strain into the crisper. I put them with the roots in damp paper towels in layers in a flat tupperware container with one corner cracked. The end of the container with the leaves, I have elevated slightly so no water can soak the leaves. We'll see how this setup works!

Thanks guys for this idea. I let you know the results.

T-rex #72

lol never knew it could be done with rooted plants

Sorry Zem,

I meant put the cut stems in the towels, NOT roots!
Might as well smoke another bowl of Domina!

Take care,
T-rex #72

legalize_freedom said:
well not that I can guarantee anything anyway...but I have only kept them for a little over a month without incedent...I think mine would have gone longer had they not tipped. But if your wanting to be sure to get roots...I mean if your counting on these you may want to try rooting one...I'd hate to see you lose the strain...lol...Like I said b4 I have done it for a little over a month and had them root...but after that I dunno!

Thanks for reminding me of that. I'm hoping they will but if they don't, I will be doing some reveg form harvest-got some in flower stage now.
:aok:

zem said:
GB dont let them get wet theyll die, i suggest that when you remove them for cloning keep them in their cold water and put another cold gallon from fridge with them in a closed box until they warm up slowly, ive sen em wilt and die when put straight into warm water

I have been thinking about that and I will come up with a "tempering time" in a temperature warmer, but not quite as warm as the growtent-to prevent temp shock-gotcha on that :aok:
I could have left the moist paper towel out. But it was my bad as I was not checking daily-got busy with other things-thanks!-reminds me I gotta check again soon-lol

Gb

I didn't read the rest of the thread but it was me that posted the orginal zip lock crisper thread. Longest I have stored and succesfully rooted a clone is 8 weeks. No special tools. I mist the bag lightly, cut the clones, toss them in and through them in the crisper, tada!

Quick edit: Be sure that when you got to root them you recut the stems to expose new tissues.

Latest posts

Back