repotting ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budculese

Reaction score
i have seen that everybody starts there beans out in smaller pots and some repot there beans 3-4 times before getting to the last pot , i will do the same but i would like to know why not just start it out in the biggest pot when the seed germinates?

Ok where to start. Vegging is all about root development. Roots do not grow well in too wet or too dry of soil. Creating the right environment for seedlings is important to their development. Using too large of a pot in the beginning will make this difficult, because the larger mass will interfere with the wet and dry cycle.

Hey budculese whats up,

Strong root development is key here and when they are started in small pots to begin growth they can form a hearty root ball. This root ball is what makes transplanting possible and promotes great overall plant strength. If grown from a large pot to begin it's life the roots are spread out and when mixed with un-proper watering they will easily die out from either being too wet and rotting or too dry and brittle.

budcules: first off, awesome name. second off, you're right

plant the starter cube AFTER you have your sprout. you want a small/decent sized plant growing from that thing lol as soon as the roots show you plant it in the bigger pot.

dont worry about the 'ring of wet" that will happen. you do want a wet/dry cycle, but you also want your roots growing out and eventually being bound by the pot.

hope that helps lol
good luck!

Bowl Destroyer said:
budcules: first off, awesome name. second off, you're right

plant the starter cube AFTER you have your sprout. you want a small/decent sized plant growing from that thing lol as soon as the roots show you plant it in the bigger pot.

dont worry about the 'ring of wet" that will happen. you do want a wet/dry cycle, but you also want your roots growing out and eventually being bound by the pot.

hope that helps lol
good luck!
thank you for the compliment and thank you for the advise

You can't start growing it in the biggest pot in the very earlier because if you do that the development of roots of your plant will not be very strong. So take care of your plants.

I think everyone here may have missed the most obvious reason, lighting. Let's say I have 10 plants that are seedlings. If I put those 10 seedlings in 16 ounce cups then I can fit all ten under a couple of my CFL's. If I put each seedling in a 10 gallon pot they are going to be much further apart and require more lighting to cover the same plants. That is the main reason I do it.

-SSF-

SensiStarFan said:
I think everyone here may have missed the most obvious reason, lighting. Let's say I have 10 plants that are seedlings. If I put those 10 seedlings in 16 ounce cups then I can fit all ten under a couple of my CFL's. If I put each seedling in a 10 gallon pot they are going to be much further apart and require more lighting to cover the same plants. That is the main reason I do it.

-SSF-

That is the ONLY reason i do it. If i was planting outside i wouldn't put them in cups 1st.

Latest posts

Back