running lights at 14/10 last 2 weeks, good idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

420benny

Not lost, just exploring
Reaction score
While eating lunch today and browsing yuotube I saw a video from TH Seeds that showed them turning their lights during the last 2 weeks of flowering from 12/12 to 14/10. Their reasoning is that no more buds are being made in the last 2 weeks and the extra light makes those already showing that much bigger. What do you think? They also withheld all nutes for the last 3 weeks and just watered the plants. They said it takes 28 days to rid all nutes from the soil and plants. Good idea?

sounds good in theory, not experienced enough to give correct answer. be interesting 2c a side by side experiment...hint, hint:D

14/10. Yeah, I'm doing the same except that I changed mine from 13/11 to 15/9. But then, I am revegging also, therefore I can use the extra time to begin changing their growth cycle back again. My reasoning is basically the same as theirs. No new buds in the last two weeks, I am basically just waiting for the trichs to turn amber.

I've heard of this but have never seen any results, so please kerep us informed and pics would be nice also :). Good luck and keep thinkning outside that box, Peace and Love!!!
Roken

leafminer said:
14/10. Yeah, I'm doing the same except that I changed mine from 13/11 to 15/9. But then, I am revegging also, therefore I can use the extra time to begin changing their growth cycle back again. My reasoning is basically the same as theirs. No new buds in the last two weeks, I am basically just waiting for the trichs to turn amber.

You were flowering with 13 hours of light? Have you done that before? Results?:confused:

I did my last grow on 12/12 up to the 6th week,then 13/11 and 14/10 in around the last 10 days or so.I tried this after another grower recommended it to me after trying this as you have the benefit of so many hours extra within a given amount of days.

The natural worry which I had at the time was the plants flowering response being lowered by longer hours but it seems the hormones(phytochrome?) which set the plant for flowering are well established,set on 'go' if you like and a slight increase in daylength will not cause it to diminish the flowering response.

Does that make sense?

Well the girls were very nice and healthy,I was pleased of course but couldnt say if my yield was increased but it was nice and phat all around and I feel I saved maybe a coupla days all in,this is just anecdotal,no proof of that as I was growing these strains for the first time but am happy doing this and will continue to do so but not with pure sativa's.

Hope this helps.

I've also done grows on 10/14 with hybrids which did'nt benefit in terms of reducing harvest time but Sativa's are a whole different hovercraft full of eels.

I tried it a few times. I grow the same strain every grow- 30 some grows- clones of clones. My conclusion on 14-10 the last few weeks of a grow. Big waste of money. Probably the power companies are the ones pimping this idea.

420benny said:
You were flowering with 13 hours of light? Have you done that before? Results?:confused:
Harvest looks good, but I am a newbie at indoor grows, this was my first. I saw an earlier thread about using 13/11 once the cycle was established and it made sense to me. There has been no sign of reveg. I was going to wait another week because the trichs are still clear or cloudy but I am losing trichs on the older plants, so I am going to harvest over the next couple of days. Then next week I will set the lamps to 18/6 and turn off one of the HPS and turn on the CFLs, to reveg. (Actually I am not that bothered with reveg now but I want the clones, I have no seed!)

Plants in nature veg in the longer days and go into flower when the days get shorter. It seems to me it would confuse the plant in flower having shorter days then all of the sudden longer days again. If anything I think it would make the plant think it should gear up to veg again.

I haven't tried it but I SERIOUSLY doubt it would provide any positive noticeable difference. My personal opinion on this is why bother changing the tried and true 12/12?

I do a 14 day flush at the end.... 28 days is too long. 14 days is perfect to get all the nutes (salts) flushed out of the plant.

Hope that helps
:)

According to the Big Book of Buds, Greenhouse recommends cutting to 10 hours of light in the last two weeks for White Widow. I'll do that when I grow it next.

TheEnhancementSmoker said:
According to the Big Book of Buds, Greenhouse recommends cutting to 10 hours of light in the last two weeks for White Widow. I'll do that when I grow it next.

From 12 hrs to 10 hrs of light.So,,less light makes better Buds during flowering?:eek: That is way cool. Also makes more since to me that the THC prodution might be better in those conditions because it is cooler. Most Outside flowering begins when the days shorten,,which is when the cooler weather sets in,,correct? But then again Im high,,,,:D

Okay, I just watched the video again. Link at bottom of this post. I was mistaken about the 28 days. The guy talking said it can take up to 28 days for the nutes to move through various parts of the plants. He went to water only with 2 weeks left, a more reasonable number. Around 1:50, he talks about both the longer nights in flowering and the nute withholding.
hXXp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xkZl5l4jo-Q&feature=related

One thing I found amusing is the experiment they went through with and without reflectors. Can you say, DUHHHH?

Tiger Lily said:
My personal opinion on this is why bother changing the tried and true 12/12?

I do a 14 day flush at the end.... 28 days is too long. 14 days is perfect to get all the nutes (salts) flushed out of the plant.

Hope that helps
:)
dont change a proven technique. Its the same one mother nature has used since the plants existence. I would stick with what works. I think people sometimes get caught up with wanting to try and do too much.. Calm down give the plant the kind of enviroment that it would grow in the wild.

And about the nutes..... well i would do 14 but i have heard people talk about a last minute flush ten days up until flowering.
and really if ya think about it, your two statements contradict each other. I f you have more buds developing later in flowering wouldnt you wanna give them buds one last push of nutes to grow big and lush?
Not being a jerk just tryin to help

CowboyBudsky said:
From 12 hrs to 10 hrs of light.So,,less light makes better Buds during flowering?:eek: That is way cool. Also makes more since to me that the THC prodution might be better in those conditions because it is cooler. Most Outside flowering begins when the days shorten,,which is when the cooler weather sets in,,correct? But then again Im high,,,,:D

"MJ Botany" quotes a study that revealed that nearly twice as much thc is produced under 12 hours of light, than under 10.
In nature, at "my" LAT, plants are nearlly mature by the time fall equinox (12/12) is reached.(Sept 21).

Yep,,Im sticken to 12/12 for flowering unless it's an Auto Strain.;)

Latest posts

Back